Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

South Dakota Whitetail Success

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Ponciano Outdoors, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Ponciano Outdoors

Ponciano Outdoors Portland, OR Member

My Dad, Brother, and I do an annual late season muzzleloader hunt. This year was out first trip to South Dakota and we had a blast. We saw plenty of deer and we were all lucky enough to fill our tags, but it was brutally cold. It got as cold as -22 and -40 with the wind chill.

Firstlite apparel allowed us to hunt all day in the toughest conditions we have ever faced. We spent lots of time glassing, picking apart the plum thickets and creek bottoms. We used the Swarovski 8x42 EL Range, Vortex Ranger 1000, Vortex Viper HD 15x50 Binoculars, Swarovski Z3 3-9 rifle scope and the Swarovski ATX 20-60x65 Spotting Scope.

Dad SD 2013.jpg

JD SD 2013.jpg

Kyle SD 2013.jpg

mjbskwim, Dunerunner, 2506 and 5 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Nice Buck!! At least with those temps you had plenty of time to dress the kill!! :thumbup:

3. PopsBdog

PopsBdog Southern Oregon Active Member

Sweet!
    They all look like they are from the same family of deer...
    Congrats to your family. :thumbup:

4. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

NICE RACKS :thumbup:

5. Ponciano Outdoors

Ponciano Outdoors Portland, OR Member

Definitely didn't have to worry about meat spoilage. My buck and my brother were killed about a half mile apart so they could be the same family. My old man's buck was an entirely different area. Little brother out did us though and we are happy it worked out that way.

6. YoungBlood

YoungBlood SW Washington Active Member

Congrats to your family, looks cold but at least you all have something to show for it. What are the logistics of getting the meat home? just frozen in sealed coolers w/dry ice?