JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
bbbass,

There's a secret most folks from the South rarely reveal to Northerners...oh, Northerners can be from anywhere 'not' in the south.

What's the secret?

Southerners good naturedly mock each other's drawling dialects...

They vary even in the same state.

East Texans sound different from West and so on...and all get a big kick out it!

Fantastic!

Was the pig harvested by ya'll or stoh bought?

What were you chunking for the great looking Reds?

Nice size doe...yum!!!!
We bought the pig .
My friends cousin is a game warden down there he said next time I go he is going to find us a place to get a wild pig .
As for the red fish we tried a few different things but shrimp was the deal.
We just used a bottom rig put shrimp on and
Cast it next to the grass along the shore.
We actually caught more but had to release some because they to small.

From the sounds of your tellins and pictures, I'd say you had a GREAT time with your friends on your vacation!!
The one thing I thought was odd, funny really, was seeing that pig splayed open on the island in the kitchen.
Most folks I've seen doing the rub, take the mess outside. LOL.
We do what we have too!!

I spent a year in the NW part of N Carolina in 1977. It was different. They all said I had a S Calif accent... weird! But yah, the fishing and the lifestyle were great!! Long driveways leading to family homes where multiple generations had lived. They got together on weekends and I would see them on the lawns with several picnic tables. Was invited to a few... funny to sit there among 7 or 8 white men and not able to understand a word they said!!!

Bought my first bass fishing level wind there. Fished the Pasquotank River for largemouth bass, bluegill, and stripers. Went to the coast and caught Bluefish.

In that area in late 1970s, black folks still road in the back of the bus, no liquor available unless you brought your own, and everything, I mean everything was closed on Sunday. TV only had 4 stations and the were all Hee Haw, all the time! :D
Well you still can't buy liquor on Sundays.
And in case you didn't notice.
My friend is black guy and I am the white guy.
Lol there is a picture of us getting the pig ready and you see another white guy .
That's my friends neighbor.
He came over when we were cooking the pig.

I use to catch Bull Reds on 1/8 oz. gold Johnson's Sprite spoons using Trilene XL 12 lb test and chunking them with a Shimano Curado baitcaster (aka levelwind).

Given this artificial is so light I couldn't get much distance, but didn't have too when I had my back to the wind.

Live Shrimp under a popping works like a charm, but bait is often hard to find and keep alive. Hardy-er are croaker, small size mullet, pogies or small crabs work well too.

Next time you go, buy a few the Johnson Sprites, they're not ready to use straight out of the package, so install a small, strong split ring and then a double barrel swivel onto the split ring and if the Reds are there you'll clean up.

How long was the pig cooked?

Well you still can't buy liquor on Sundays.
And in case you didn't notice.
My friend is black guy and I am the white guy.
Lol there is a picture of us getting the pig ready and you see another white guy .
That's my friends neighbor.
He came over when we were cooking the pig.

Yup, I noticed. Felt no reason to say anything about it tho. Far as I am concerned it's nothing. But I mentioned black folks because that's how it was in NC in the late 70s and I remember being surprised by it then. As a S Calif white boy, that part of life had left my experience what with Compton, Wilmington, et al in my rearview mirror. I hope you don't think I meant anything untoward!

Looks like a lot of fun.

I'll check out the rest later, I have to go to the bathroom.

@EPS only you man, only you! :p

But they treat me like family.
I even go to church with them.
I am the only white person there most people know me but some don't I get a few strange looks at first.
And after the Charleston church Shooting.
I was there and really got a few strange looks.
Now at my friend's church there are a few guys that carry at church.
Was able to spot two of them.
But my friend told me there is 4 people that carry .

I use to catch Bull Reds on 1/8 oz. gold Johnson's Sprite spoons using Trilene XL 12 lb test and chunking them with a Shimano Curado baitcaster (aka levelwind).

Given this artificial is so light I couldn't get much distance, but didn't have too when I had my back to the wind.

Live Shrimp under a popping works like a charm, but bait is often hard to find and keep alive. Hardy-er are croaker, small size mullet, pogies or small crabs work well too.

Next time you go, buy a few the Johnson Sprites, they're not ready to use straight out of the package, so install a small, strong split ring and then a double barrel swivel onto the split ring and if the Reds are there you'll clean up.

How long was the pig cooked?
Thanks for the info.
We cooked it slowly all night .
We had the camp fire next to the big grill and just added hot coals from the fire to the grill all-night kept it between 225 to 250 all-night.

Lol some of us didn't make it all night.
MVIMG_20191102_045453.jpg IMG_20191102_043820.jpg

1977 Elizabeth City NC w/ largemouth bass. The USCG morale locker rented out 18' Jonboats with a 5hp motor and a full tank of gas for $5 a day. The Pasquotank River had what seemed to be endless sloughs and endless water moccasins!

Photos&Scans 380.jpg

Bull reds are a blast to catch. I used to wade the back waters and throw a cast net for mullet. Chunk the up and hang on. Catching blues on gottchya's was sooo fun. I miss fishing on all the piers they have down that way.

Bull reds are a blast to catch. I used to wade the back waters and throw a cast net for mullet. Chunk the up and hang on. Catching blues on gottchya's was sooo fun. I miss fishing on all the piers they have down that way.
Yes they are they fight.
That BLACK DRUM that my friend got put up a good flight also.
We caught two but they have to be at least 14 inch that one was 17 the other was just under 14 so it got a pardon.

Catching blues on gottchya's was sooo fun. I miss fishing on all the piers they have down that way.

Long stick type floating lures for sure!!

I accidentally discovered fishing for Bluefish. We traveled from Elizabeth City NC and were visiting Kitty Hawk etc. My lab/shepard mix caught a Pinfish in the Currituck Sound. I had heard of Bluefish at the pier but they used Bloodworms on a hook and sinker cast off the pier. Then we were in a different spot enjoying the beach and suddenly there was a bunch of excitement as clouds of seabirds started working the anchovie boils just outside the surf line. A bunch of vehicles came roaring down the beach, stopped and got out long fishing rods and casting into the boils. I asked what they were doing and was informed that Bluefish taste pretty good and fight like sharks. So I ran back to the car, got out a 6' spinning pole put on a 6" double hook Broken Back Rapala and cast out when the boils came in a bit.... I had to wade out to reach the boil and the locals said I was nuts, them are bitin fish!! Hooked one and the fight was ON!! 10lb test and a small spinning reel and light rod... those fish ran back and forth in the surf sideways to the shore. When I brought the first one in, he wouldn't let the lure go.. sharp teeth clamped down. I couldn't pry the jaws open, so I just got out another Rapala and proceeded to hook a few more Bluefish before they moved on. Dang things sure beat up a Rapala lure finish!!

Pinfish: 167@2x.jpg

Bluefish:
1573243770381.jpeg
img-0159_orig.jpg

Last Edited:
Ok I'm back .
Here is a few pictures of the day we cooked the pig.
It takes all night we start the process at about 19:00 and take it off at 07:00.
But we also drink and have a all night party.
Because someone has to keep it at temp.
Keep adding hot coals to the fire .
12 hours cooking at 225 degrees.View attachment 631369View attachment 631370View attachment 631372View attachment 631377View attachment 631379View attachment 631383View attachment 631383View attachment 631387View attachment 631388
Looks like a hell of a time. That's what I'd prefer to be doing with 10 day off of work.

Long stick type floating lures for sure!!

I accidentally discovered fishing for Bluefish. We traveled from Elizabeth City NC and were visiting Kitty Hawk etc. My lab/shepard mix caught a Pinfish in the Currituck Sound. I had heard of Bluefish at the pier but they used Bloodworms on a hook and sinker cast off the pier. Then we were in a different spot enjoying the beach and suddenly there was a bunch of excitement as clouds of seabirds started working the anchovie boils just outside the surf line. A bunch of vehicles came roaring down the beach, stopped and got out long fishing rods and casting into the boils. I asked what they were doing and was informed that Bluefish taste pretty good and fight like sharks. So I ran back to the car, got out a 6' spinning pole put on a 6" double hook Broken Back Rapala and cast out when the boils came in a bit.... I had to wade out to reach the boil and the locals said I was nuts, them are bitin fish!! Hooked one and the fight was ON!! 10lb test and a small spinning reel and light rod... those fish ran back and forth in the surf sideways to the shore. When I brought the first one in, he wouldn't let the lure go.. sharp teeth clamped down. I couldn't pry the jaws open, so I just got out another Rapala and proceeded to hook a few more Bluefish before they moved on. Dang things sure beat up a Rapala lure finish!!

Pinfish:View attachment 631544

Bluefish:
View attachment 631545
View attachment 631546

It's funny that you mention Kitty Hawk, my son is stationed at Nags Head and he does a lot of fishin (just like his old man) everywhere he can. Has a few surf rods and a chit ton of tackle...:)

I miss my homeland, grew up in Fayettville and on Ft. Bragg.

It's funny that you mention Kitty Hawk, my son is stationed at Nags Head and he does a lot of fishin (just like his old man) everywhere he can. Has a few surf rods and a chit ton of tackle...:)

I miss my homeland, grew up in Fayettville and on Ft. Bragg.

I enjoyed my time in NC.

You sure threw me off because when I visited my daughter in AR I landed in Fayetteville and went to a semi-pro baseball game there. Never been to Fayetteville NC... there was a lot of the state I only drove thru on the freeway to get to Elizabeth City. And when we explored, it was mostly the northern parts.

Wiki says it's on the western part of the coastal plain... what was that like? Most of NC I knew as either corn fields, tobacco, or swamp.

I enjoyed my time in NC.

You sure threw me off because when I visited my daughter in AR I landed in Fayetteville and went to a semi-pro baseball game there. Never been to Fayetteville NC... there was a lot of the state I only drove thru on the freeway to get to Elizabeth City. And when we explored, it was mostly the northern parts.

Wiki says it's on the western part of the coastal plain... what was that like? Most of NC I knew as either corn fields, tobacco, or swamp.

Trees, lots of trees...:)

@EPS I just love you bringing this to the board every year. Man, what a great time to cherish for the rest of your life. I'd so love to have the opportunity to know people like that and experience those kinds of get togethers.. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top