Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Source for rifle case foam?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RVNvet, Dec 21, 2009.

1. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

I built the below rifle case to fit my sister's rifle and scope, using foam from an old case. I am going to build a couple of more simpler cases for other rifles, but don't know of a source for the foam. Does anyone know of a place in the PDX or Beaverton area?

Max

BAguncase1.JPG

BAwithguncase2.JPG

2. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Nice job! I believe that's called eggcrate or egg crate foam. Try this

3. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Music supply stores usually sell acoustic padding and acoustic foam.

4. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

Yep... high end camera shops too... although perhaps not in long enough sections.

C

5. Will

Will Everett Active Member

I bought some egg crate style foam at Home Depot for a pistol case and quickly learned that the density wasn't enough to hold the pistols in place. I went to Kits Camera and they had some foam but the size was too small for my need the guy at the shop gave me the company name and I bought what I needed online. I don't recall the compnay that I bought the foam from but I expect if you hit up your local camera store they will either have what you need or tell you who to contact. Best advice is check out the density, you want something faily firm, the stuff uses for sound dampening or bedding is too soft.

6. RVNvet

RVNvet Beaverton Member

I was sent this url, which has great information about cutting foam to fit perfectly with a 'heat wire,' but there's no info on where to get the foam. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=292695 Anyone else have info for a source in the Portland area?

Max

7. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

8. ajgunner

ajgunner Molalla, OR Active Member

Another great tool for cutting it to shape is an old electric knife. I have a doskocil case with 4 different foam inserts for different long guns. I bought an old electric knife at the Goodwill. Traced the guns with a sharpie and cut them out. If I remember right I ordered the foam from them. Pretty cheap and easy.