Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sound Check

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rufus, Apr 3, 2012.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

2. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Very cool
    Who are those other guys? Can you imagine the grins they must have had after that session?

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Nice, I have that on video for the entertainment system.

That's The Edge from U2 and Jack White from The White Stripes. They can't hold a candle to Jimmy, darned generous of him to be on the same stage with em.

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  4. rufus

Jimmy sure has aged gracefully, unlike some of his contemporaries. He can still rip it up too. I'm not a huge fan of The Edge's style, but do like to listen to The White Stripes from time to time. They are not in the same league as Page by any means, not sure why they were paired-up but it's all good.

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

To bring in 3 different generations of music fans

That kid was picking up Jimmy's riffs pretty quick.Seemed he was pretty good to me.

6. rufus

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

7. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Saw Zep live at the Long Beach auditorium in 74. 5th row center. Could'nt hear well for 3 days after. What a show. Page and Plant were awesome!

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Thanks Rufus! Deja Vu!

I saw them at the Kingdome in '77. Spent the day "Dazed and Confused," in the parking lot, but came alive for the show once we got inside on the floor.
    Jeanne Dixon (the mystic prognosticator) predicted the sound would cause the roof to crack and fall in.

I still have the ticket stub somewhere.
    It was insanely great, and 4 hours (or so) I'll NEVER forget.

9. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

10. rufus

Love it!

11. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

12. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

If you watch the entire documentary, Jack White builds a one string guitar out of a 2x4, a coke bottle and somehow hooked it up to an amp. Surprisingly it sounded pretty good. White is no slouch miles ahead of his contemporaries.

13. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Anyone who is a fan of music and the guitar should watch "It Might Get Load." It is an outstanding documentary and shows the mutual respect between some very talented musicians. I am a huge fan of both Jack White and Jimmy Page, I own almost all of their music. Seeing them preform together is an amazing thing. If you call yourself a Jimmy Page fan you should watch it. The Edge....I can take it or leave it, I am not a U2 fan.

You guys may want to check out what Jimmy Page has to say about Jack White, before judging.

One thing I do know I'll be listening to Physical Graffiti on my way to work tonight!

14. rufus

Oh yes.
    [video=youtube;TVhE6yqNjN4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVhE6yqNjN4[/video]

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  15. rufus

logo.gif

The possibilities are almost endless. :partyman:

16. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Just a garage band hacker here. Saw Zep in 1972 at the Memorial Coliseum (dozens of other acts there, too, and the Paramount NW and the Salem Armory). So growing up mimicking JP, I'm honored when my son tells me I stole a lot of my riffs from him. Yessss!

Of course most of us heard White Stripes and U2 before the movie "It Might Get Loud" was made. While not a gigantic fan of White or Edge, I still respected them hugely for their skills and accomplishments. But still I wondered what they all had in common, until I saw the movie. Rock god, high tech and low tech with inspiring consuming passion for the guitar. Very much worth watching. There's a half-second moment in the flick when they're playing, and the 2 others exchange a silent look that says it all... "dude, we're jamming with JIMMY f---ing PAAAGE!"

Great for any music fan whether you play or not.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Thanks a lot.... I just spent around TWO HOURS on Youtube watching Jimi, Edge, Clapton, and other awesome guitarist... because of YOU!

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  18. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

The film we're talking about, "It Might Get Loud," will be on TV this week, Thurs 6-8pm on PLDHD (Palladia 764 in Portland). Unlike MTV, PLDHD actually plays music related videos, concerts, movies, storytellers, etc. Certainly worth a peek if you love guitar and haven't seen it yet.

19. rufus

Thanks for the heads-up!