JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently moved to WA from CA, which doesn't allow the sale of a number of handguns that aren't on an approved handgun roster. So I'm pretty excited about the prospect of getting a handgun that I've always admired from afar. So long story short, I can't really afford to even buy a gun but as I may only be here for another year or so and then possible move back to CA, it is pretty much a necessity to get at least one non-roster handgun before I can't get any at all( I can bring any handgun legally back into CA so long as I acquired it legally in another state, as a resident of that state, and as long as it has its magazine converted to accept a max of 10 rounds).

So I've always wanted an XDm 9mm. I'm thinking about a two-tone model in a 4.5". But I've also been looking at a HK45. Both seem pretty awesome. I had a 1911 before and I loved it. I worry that going to a 9mm might seem a bit too "light" for me since I've been used to shooting a 1911. But that might be a non-issue.

Any thoughts or recommendations? If you could buy only one, and potentially never the opportunity to get another, which would it be? Thanks for the help!

They are very different guns. The XD has a significantly narrower grip. Being a Glock/HK guy I really didn't like it at all. It will have a rail for adding lights etc if that is important to you and mags are less expenive. I would also point out you can get 1k of 9mm for 1/3 the cost of .45.

Personally I would go with the HK. If nothing else if you go back to PRofC then 10+1 rounds of .45 is twice as good as 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

I own both and have to say that you really can't go wrong with either. Both are extremely accurate, reliable, and high quality. Making a direct comparison between the two is kind of tough though. I like the fact that the XDm has such a high capacity, but I like the HK45 because of the added power and cool factor. I do have to say that this HK has the lightest felt recoil of any .45 acp I have ever fired.

I think you need to decide what caliber you want, and consider if the extra $300 is worth it to you. Curious why you would be choosing between these two guns and not considering the XDm 45? Seems that might be the perfect compromise.

Thanks for the reply Philly fan, that is a big help. So which would you choose if the XDm was limited to 10 rounds? I know it's hard to choose but down to shootiblity, accuracy, price, coolness, etc, which would you get? Also does your HK45 have a threaded barrel? I wasn't sure if I could get one without a threaded barrel.

I was thinking about an XDm 45 for a bit but I thought that a polymer .45 would have too much recoil, especially since I have been used to shooting a 1911 for so long. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply Philly fan, that is a big help. So which would you choose if the XDm was limited to 10 rounds? I know it's hard to choose but down to shootiblity, accuracy, price, coolness, etc, which would you get? Also does your HK45 have a threaded barrel? I wasn't sure if I could get one without a threaded barrel.

I was thinking about an XDm 45 for a bit but I thought that a polymer .45 would have too much recoil, especially since I have been used to shooting a 1911 for so long. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Well, actually the HK45 is polymer as well, but has less recoil than any 1911 I ever fired. I actually think it compares with some 9mm's I have fired. Take that with a grain of salt though, I used to own a PM40 that I shot all the time so my frame of reference may be off. The HK45 does not have a threaded barrel. Honestly, if you liked the 1911 I think you would like the HK better. It can be fired single or double action, has a safety placed in roughly the same spot, and wouldn't need to be doctored to be California legal. The only thing you would have to get used to is using your index or middle finger to release the mag as the release is on the back bottom side of the trigger guard.

The XDm, on the other hand, has no safety, is double action only, and would need to be doctored. Also the HK has a better trigger, and overall fit and finish.

Love the XDm, but it's hard to beat the HK45.

I have a HK USP45 also. LUV it! I have a question. This is the first time I have run accross something called "an approved handgun roster". WTF is that? Is that a Cali thing? You have one thing against you though. You lived in and moved to, the two worst states for gun ownership west of the Mississippi River. Go figure.

Good to hear so many good things about the HK45. Did some research and most of the knocks on it are about the trigger. But I figure if it bothers me that much I can get a trigger job.

And California is a HUUUUGGGGEEE step down in terms of gun ownership laws from WA. Just to sum up a few of the great laws in CA:

1. Magazines cannot be more than 10 rounds
2. To buy a new handgun, it must be a handgun on an approved roster. Which essentially requires gun manufacturers to specially do certain things to a gun to get it on the roster. Not to mention they charge the companies to get their put through "safety" tests to also get put on the roster. And each model of a gun(even if it is just a color change) must go through the test and have the modifications done to the gun.
3. Any rifle with a pistol grip cannot have a detachable magazine. So the AR15 models which aren't specifically illegal by name cannot have a magazine that can be detached by hand.
4. Certain length laws on rifles and shotguns.
5. No buying of ammo via internet.

Fun times.

Can you try shooting them at a range near you? I've owned an XDM45 and a HK45 (not the USP), as well as a few 1911s too.

There's a really big difference between the XDM9 and the HK45. Have you considered the HK P30L? It holds 13+1 in a 9mm if 45acp isnt a big deal to you.

Personally, I find that the XDM, HK45, and 1911 shoot very differently. If you want it for a protection/carry gun, the XDM is hard to go wrong with. If you want to hit something small at 25 yards, the DA on the XD makes that harder. If you have smaller hands (or like me prefer ergonomic things), the HK45 feels like it was born to fit in your hand. For me, accuracy goes 1911 then HK45 then XDM. For something to protect yourself with and carry a lot, it would go XDM, HK45, 1911.

If I could only buy one, it would be the HK45. At the website Pistol-training.com they recently shot over 50,000 rounds down a HK45 and I believe they didnt have a single issue. Last i looked, they were thinking of going for 100,000 rounds.

And California is a HUUUUGGGGEEE step down in terms of gun ownership laws from WA. Just to sum up a few of the great laws in CA:

1. Magazines cannot be more than 10 rounds
2. To buy a new handgun, it must be a handgun on an approved roster. Which essentially requires gun manufacturers to specially do certain things to a gun to get it on the roster. Not to mention they charge the companies to get their put through "safety" tests to also get put on the roster. And each model of a gun(even if it is just a color change) must go through the test and have the modifications done to the gun.
3. Any rifle with a pistol grip cannot have a detachable magazine. So the AR15 models which aren't specifically illegal by name cannot have a magazine that can be detached by hand.
4. Certain length laws on rifles and shotguns.
5. No buying of ammo via internet.

Fun times.

Oh man that really does suck. I guess that is why the state of Cali's flag has a bear and cicle on it....."The republic of Cali". Compared to Oregon and Idaho, Washington's laws suck also. I have to take a four hour drive south to Albany to have any real fun!

Thanks all for the replies.

Visceral, I actually was wondering if I could go to a range that hand the models I'm interested in so I could shoot them and see. Would be good to actually have first hand experience with each and make an informed decision.

Phillyfan, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Diesel, so what is the main difference between the USP and the HK45? Any significant improvements?

Also, I've been dinking around and saw some folks get an LEM trigger on their HK45. Looks to be weird and unnecessary. Am I missing something?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top