JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I'd read quite awhile back where you could sort .22 LR Ammo based on the rim thickness. Thought there was a tool used for sorting them this way in order to group them based on this rim thickness, and make your ammo more accurate.

Anyone ever heard or read this, or even practiced it?

someone commented on such over in the rimfire site but didn't have much support for the theory;

personally, I don't believe that is a likely factor;

My own opinion, is 1) some standard non-hyper velocity round; 2) bullet weight; Of course, there are lotsa theories out there.

My pistols seem to get best groups in the 1100-1255 range. I'd had no reason to test the subsonic stuff as none of my stuff goes pew-pew-pew....like the 700 fps ammo does with a can.

Recently read lengthy 'flyer' discussion.
A CDO crazed perfectionist buddy spent considerable time trying to convince that everything up to and including aligning all head stamps in the same direction helped.

He was unable to demonstrate that was an effective adjunct to group size reduction.

someone commented on such over in the rimfire site but didn't have much support for the theory;

personally, I don't believe that is a likely factor;

My own opinion, is 1) some standard non-hyper velocity round; 2) bullet weight; Of course, there are lotsa theories out there.

My pistols seem to get best groups in the 1100-1255 range. I'd had no reason to test the subsonic stuff as none of my stuff goes pew-pew-pew....like the 700 fps ammo does with a can.

Recently read lengthy 'flyer' discussion.
For some reason I thought the headspace difference was one of the issues in inconsistent grouping with the 22lr.

Granted, crap ammo is going to be crap ammo, but many times sorting can decrease variations that can lead to larger groupings.

This is why they make 30 round magazines.

lol, just kidding. I remember seeing quite a few videos on youtube about that, using different gauges and stuff.
Seemed pretty fiddly for not much return to me.

This is why they make 30 round magazines.

lol, just kidding. I remember seeing quite a few videos on youtube about that, using different gauges and stuff.
Seemed pretty fiddly for not much return to me.
I thought they were 25 round magazines. :D

There IS a tool available from Sinclare International ( and other high speed match vendor's sights) that measures rim thickness's and there are other tools that measure overall loaded length, seating depth, and diameter. All DO contribute to accuracy in match rifle comps. And they allow you to sort ammo according to how it functions in a particular rifle, or pistol. Rimfire ammo headspaces on the rim, so thickness does contribute to accuracy almost as much as the other factors, so take it for what it's worth!:)

There IS a tool available from Sinclare International ( and other high speed match vendor's sights) that measures rim thickness's and there are other tools that measure overall loaded length, seating depth, and diameter. All DO contribute to accuracy in match rifle comps. And they allow you to sort ammo according to how it functions in a particular rifle, or pistol. Rimfire ammo headspaces on the rim, so thickness does contribute to accuracy almost as much as the other factors, so take it for what it's worth!:)
That's what I thought.

Sorting was all the rage a number of years ago, but hardly anyone does it now. The rimfire bench rest crowd dropped this a long time ago. So have serious gallery and 3-position shooters.

Even mid range ammo is consistent enough that the variance exhibited makes no practical difference in accuracy. If you want more accuracy, for most shooters, the time would be better spent dry firing and dry holding.

Timely information as I'll be putting a new M&P 15-22 through its paces over the next couple of weeks...
:s0069:

I HAD one, and it was decently accurate. Shoot plated or at least "spray painted" rounds (Golden's don't count) and you should be fine. It's a .22LR afterall. :)

The best way to increase .22 accuracy is to switch to .22 WMR IMHO. :D

And TBO, I'm not against .22lr as many seem to think. I just think there are MUCH better options for rimfire and even BETTER options for centerfire.

You guys are all competent shooters, I can tell by your post. So anything I have to say is just another view of what you allready do. Shooting straight is finding that right combination that gives the best score. Gun, ammo, optics but mostly the skill of the shooter. When guys reach a peak they look for things like rim thickness that may improve their scores. It's my opinion that just like a malfuctioning gun you start with one cure at a time until it gets better.

Seems odd to me to measure rim thickness. Most guns have a target ammo they favor so that ammo and the skill of the shooter is what gives the better score. My target guns shoot so straight that on my best day I cant' shoot to the guns potential so it's me I work on to better my score.

I did find out the bullet coatings vary enough that just the weather can change your score by the heat or cold on the coating.

Shooting a gun that has virtually ZERO recoil doesn't prepare you for a gun that recoils. It doesn't prepare you for any flinch you may or may not have. The only thing that does is practicing with the rounds that you flinch with until it's gone.

My best anecdotal evidence is a 1911 with a 22 kit on it. You get everything but recoil in learning to shoot the gun and it helps you to build muscle memory before you learn a flinch. From 22lr you move up to target wad cutters then full house loads. 22lr is the foundation of learning, all your good habits and bad habits will reflect when you shoot 22.

My best anecdotal evidence is a 1911 with a 22 kit on it. You get everything but recoil in learning to shoot the gun and it helps you to build muscle memory before you learn a flinch. From 22lr you move up to target wad cutters then full house loads. 22lr is the foundation of learning, all your good habits and bad habits will reflect when you shoot 22.

I'll agree that it works well for muscle memory and holster work along with the safety.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top