JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I may have beat the guy to getting a gun out.I know if someone starts a yelling match,i do have the pistol in hand.
But mostly I smile and drive away when packing.

I have had a few instances where I said nothing and just acted like I was getting a gun that defused the situation.
Stayed calm and looked them in the eye.
Changed directions.

+1 to all the above opinions.

It is my belief in the state of WA that that was enough justification that you were endangered and are allowed to either draw and hold the individual or shoot if the threatening movements don't immediately stop, as your issuing orders to stop.

You were verbaly informed of his intent and then threatened with a weapon.

911 or shoot and 911

Don't wait! you need to report this now, the criminal was most likely lieing and a felon with a firearm and high on meth.

You acted very well under stress and know the laws now. Your lucky. Be more aware of the laws and keep learning!

Be SAFE!

I'm just happy that you acted so so calm under pressure. For you're handicapped friend to oh so calmly and coolly ask the person to stop yelling at him for no reason, because sure that happens all the time. And then in the midst of this you, still just as cool as a cucumber needed to "check for clearance" because hey, who wouldn't for their handicap friend. And this SOB still yelling at you're buddy for absolutely no good reason now turns to you who is completely flabbergasted because all you were doing was "checking for clearance" and starts in on you and even pulls a gun, no I mean he pulled a gun case on you and threatens your life. At this point, still completely unfazed you let him know he may be violating wac code by threatening you. He then tells you to F&*K O*F he's got additional guns in the car to use if needed and at this point you feel it's time to find out if this individual has a CCW. And he stops yelling at you to politely inform you, yes indeed he does have a CCW, and at that it seems the story ends. Instead of calling the authorities because a crazed maniac just threatened you with not 1 but 2 firearms you feel it is appropriate to join an internet firearm forum to discuss. (Having multiple firearms is a tip off he may have been smuggling the guns to Mexican drug cartels so you should let the ATF know regardless.:s0155:)

I'll try to be as friendly about this as I can but do you think it's at all possible that the other individual may have a slightly different version of events?

If someone pulls a gun on you and threatens you're life you have 2 choices:
1.) Run for your life.
2.) Fight for you life.

Nickels worth of free advice: If your parked next to a crazed maniac who is yelling and ranting while you have a handicapped person with you who needs extra space to get out of the car calmly restart your vehicle and go park next to a minivan full of bratty kids. It will be a lot less stressful.

Sorry, but this just doesn't pass the keystir smell test. Welcome to the forum it is good to have you!

He threatened you and displayed a firearm in a threatening manor that made you fear for your safety and/or well being- am I correct? I would have notified the police ASAP! This individual could have been the one to call the cops to report YOU. Since this now happened hours ago, the subject had time to collaborate with his friends to get a good story down (something mainly to point you out as the aggressor) and to properly dispose of any evidence (i.e. secure the firearms, sober up, get rid of drugs, etc.).

Now- lets go to the other side of the coin to the "what would I have done" section of this story.

Stop, scan, assess.

If all a dude is doing is yelling, let him yell. People lose their minds during the holliday season for a variety of reasons...he just wanted someone to vent out his frustration on and found a release. Now, do you carry? I, personally, would have drawn on someone reaching for a firearm and threatening myself or another person with serious bodily harm or death.

However, as I cannot make an exact assessment of your situation because I wasn't there, wasn't in your shoes and don't fully know the situation (this is called, "objective reasonableness") all I can say is your best bet would be to be a good witness and notify the authorities IMMEDIATLY. What if he drove down the road and actually decided to shoot the next person he had a bad encounter with? Would you feel somewhat responsible? No? Then why did you even intervene at all? Why did you even tell him to calm down? Either you were looking for a fight or you wanted to de-escelate the situation, there is no middle ground here. If you were looking for a fight, my obvious answer is going to be to just not get involved, get in your car and leave. If you were looking to help someone (therefore you decided to make the subject target you instead of someone else in attempts to calm him down and assertain the situation) then I would have done things as already described above.

Stop, scan, assess- then act!

He'd be proned out on the ground or have two bullets in him if that was me (and you described the situtation correctly).

But that's just me.

Look, some of the stuff described above isn't meant as an insult. I'm trying to get you in the right mindset. Cops and other professionals have a saying....its "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Having said that, I think you have some self assessing to do. If you plan on getting involved in altercations like this in the future, you need to be more aware of your surroundings and mentally prepared for violent encounters. It sounds like you were in the WHITE when you should have been in ORANGE.

If you have read this far, then koodos to you...hopefully you have learned something from this experience and will handle it a bit better next time. Your lack of reaction to a violent encounter could have seriously endangered yourself or others.

Dude, that imbecile threatened your life. I'm not gonna second guess the situation, I wasn't there, but I think you should file.

Could he have been armed? You bet, even if he was bullgumming you, I don't think you can take a chance on him bluffing.

Also, glad you're safe.

Who's to say this fool didn't take down YOUR license plate number. Seriously. If he was that P.O'ed lucky he didn't wait and follow you too. Or maybe he did.

Some people are just that enraged it doesn't just turn off. Like a crazy EX-whatever.

I would've called & call. Could end up in your lap as him filing against you or kindly meeting you again, when you least expect it (taking out the trash). Regardless, I would hate to lose my CHL because of some jockey stick like this guy flipping it around and falsely accussing me.

I have decided not to file based on:
a) the time gap
b) the individual

I called and was told in filing that my name/address would be public knowledge and known to this individual. While the idea of getting this guy is good- someone like this doesn't really need to be knowing my address.

A few points to note:
-I was on the clock, so I definitely wasn't trying to heighten the situation (and potentially lose my job). I consider myself a professional while working and try to act that way. I'd much rather the guy calm down and go get a burger than continue going apebubblegum.
-the person in question was considerably older than me (elderly) and was in no shape to physically fight.
-I asked him the CCW question calmly. I'm not trying to out-crazy a crazy. I never saw a physical gun although I was nervous when he showed me the bag.

More than anything it just soured my day. I consider myself a responsible gun owner and being involved in a situation like this really disappoints me. After a day like this though I'm just thankful no one got injured.

On the vehicle I noticed stickers for firearms groups so I imagine the person is in the gun community at large. Maybe I'll see them at a gun show in the future? There's nothing like a public shaming!

Having said that, I think you have some self assessing to do. If you plan on getting involved in altercations like this in the future, you need to be more aware of your surroundings and mentally prepared for violent encounters. It sounds like you were in the WHITE when you should have been in ORANGE.

I don't plan on it much like I didn't plan on this one. It mainly sucks because the driver was set off by something completely unrelated to me, took their anger out on me, then threatened me (an unarmed person) with a gun. I kept cool and tried not to provoke. Not looking to get shot over some bullbubblegum.

I guess that's the thing- I'm not looking for a fight, I don't want to fight, and I don't have anything to prove either way.

Assault is putting someone in fear of immediate offensive touching. It's battery if they actually touch you. I'd say "laying you down" would be offensive touching. Were you in fear?

-1 for NOT taking action

The perp won. They scared you into shutting up with a firearm
Criminals like that should not own

Either that or the :bs: flag needs to fly on this situation.

In CA the charges would be Terrorist threat with a lessor charge of Assault/Battery.
Terrorist threat is a felony and is the act of threatening someone where the victim has a reasonable belief that the person has the means to carry out the threat - example would be someone threatens to grab their shotgun and blow your head of and you know that they own a shotgun, or say a 6'3, 250 lb guy threatens to beat you to death and you stand 5'7 and weigh in at say 160. Both are situations where the victim has reason to believe that the offender is serious and has the means to carry out the threat. If the offender was say a 4'11, 95 lb female and threatened to beat you senseless while the victim is the 6'3 250 lb guy in good shape and has some sort of self defense background you won't be able to sell that to most prosecutors let alone a jury.

I don't know if WA has a law that mirrors this but would suspect that they do. Often it would fall in with the laws regarding stalkers.
Either way, it would probably be watered down to a simple assault but at least the guy would loose his carry permit if he had one and most likely have court ordered anger management classes and some sort of probation unless they are on probation/parole.

I think you need to call the police so there is a report even now, some time later. If this guy is as crazy as you say then he will do it again to someone else like maybe me! What happens when he threatens the next guy and the next guy shoots him? You would be doing the next guy and the rest of us a huge favor by reporting what happened to you as it would come up in the later investigation.

I stand behind what I said and at least on my part, accurate reporting of the situation. I'd really rather not have this guy knowing where I live, and more importantly, where my SO and pets live.

Sometimes in life you have to make decisions that aren't the most satisfying but are safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top