JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't go back in time to re-read the post. Real world results say AKs are accurate enough.
I didnt re-read either, but thats basically what I learned today the AK is accurate enough for battle. I mostly used cheap bulk Ukranian ammo and at 50yds it held the same as I can hold with an AR, both with open sights.
the fun part today was learning what the "battle zero" was on the AK, the little letter code setting on the rear sight blade... basically the Soviets train to aim for the stomach instead of COM (chest) when battle zero is selected you can set it and forget it for all engagements out to 300m worst case you'll hit COM.
https://savannaharsenal.com/2016/04...47 (7.62x39mm Soviet) Zeroing Recommendations

0528181704a_HDR_cropped.jpg

You should widen the rear sight though. It helps, A LOT. Granted I haven't done it on my own AK (I'm only using the regular rear sight until I can get the fitment weld on the modified dust cover just right), but it did help on AKs I shot that had that done.

If your front sight isn't dark enough, make it darker. Even on black targets it makes a huge difference as far as being able to pick up the sight goes.

There are NO evil guns.....only evil people.

Aloha, Mark

PS....think about it....

Hitler's personal Walther PPK. Yup, a beautiful firearm and it was used in his suicide.

No gun is truly evil....as it is just a item , not a person or spirit....
But...
After many years of seeing the AK 47 in the hands of bad guys and being shot at , by said bad guys armed with AK 47's...
It does at times , take me a moment to "get over my dislike" when looking at a AK 47 or clone.

All that said...
They are a good rifle and go bang when you need them to...they are just not for me.
Luckily for us in the gun world we are not limited to my likes and dislikes....:D
Andy

I finally got my roundtuit...

today:
View attachment 464149

I referred to an article I found this morning about zeroing your AK: How To Zero The Kalashnikov AK-47 & AK-74

I did their quick 25yd zero (on the 200m ramp) then did the final adjustments at 100 meters (109yds), stock iron sights. The target on the right is about a 3.5" group.
I did several 100m 5shot groups from a rest all similar results using mostly Hotshot 123g FMJ bulk ammo. My rest wasn't the greatest, a folding table with a led sled but it helped... Id say with a proper rest if one held 3.5" at 100m regularly thats a good accurate battle rifle.
For future reference, sleds aren't great for the AK. Get a bag and place it under the receiver (not handguard).

One of the common complaints of the AK are the sights... Whether its the type of sights or the sight radius. Well, can't say this one has the same sight radius as an AR carbine. Its even a bit longer than the SKS sight radius (unless you have a tech sight). The Williams rear sight used has holes the perfect size to thread for 8-32 screws.

IMG_3451.JPG IMG_3457.JPG

http://forum.novarata.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1478

For anyone interested that's where you can get the instruction to do it yourself... Tech sights would be easier but cost more. There's instructions on putting a M16 sight on the AK as well...

Last Edited:
I had the opportunity to closely examine a Russian AK (The real thing) many years ago, and save for the design changes from selective fire to semi-auto, the ATI appears identical to the Kalashnikov. That's my memory, though and could be hazy after 30 years.

That's the ATI I purchased. BTW, I got it from Quantico Tactical in Tacoma and I would commend them on their professionalism and the outstanding cleanliness of their premises. It look like a jewelry shop in there. I was with a lady who has not been in this type of store and she was comfortable and at ease.

Tech sights is another one if you want a longer sight radius and don't feel comfortable with a sight on the dust cover (a rear sight isn't heavy enough like a red dot or scope to throw it around, but you can always tighten the cover anyways).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top