JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Browning a bolt 300 wsm with Leopold 2.5x8. Hand loads with 165gr nosler partitions. It's never let me down even though I've let myself down a few times.

That will work for both deer and elk. BTDT... As for me, I didn't get the tag I applied for, so I had to buy a western oregon tag. I may be hunting next weekend and I will probably be using my 30-06. It's old and trusty. Just the way I like them.... Oh, it has good mojo too. That's the most important thing:
Last years hunts:
SWJFBQL.jpg
rHZHyrD.jpg
I love this rifle, it just works and also fits me like a glove:
QXv4UFf.jpg

Shoots well enough for a really old rifle too:
OHS2XU1.jpg

A left handed stock on a P17...........wonderful stuff. That is a multiple generation rifle. I prefer them to the 1903. Have you installed the cock on opening kit?

Argonaut, yes it has a cock on open kit. It is a Dayton traister. I had to modify the Timney trigger to work with the Dayton, but it's an awesome set-up. I also changed out the old leaf spring ejector for a brownells coil spring ejector. I grew up using a m1917, so I am very familiar with these rifles. I was 12 when I got my first m1917 and have loved them since then.. Don't tell anyone, but most of my pre 64's get tucked away in the safe and this one comes out to play.

Argonaut, yes it has a cock on open kit. It is a Dayton traister. I had to modify the Timney trigger to work with the Dayton, but it's an awesome set-up. I also changed out the old leaf spring ejector for a brownells coil spring ejector. I grew up using a m1917, so I am very familiar with these rifles. I was 12 when I got my first m1917 and have loved them since then..
I inherited my grandfathers 1917 that he got through the CMP sometime in the early 50's. I used to buy demilled P14's 7 at a time from Sarco. They were 30.00 each in lots of 7. The demil consisted of drilling and putting a stud through the chamber. I would rebarrel them to belted magnums, the large 303 boltface was ideal without modification. I did several in 458 WM.

Last Edited:
I inherited my grandfathers 1917 that he got through the CMP sometime in the early 50's. I used to buy demilled P14's 7 at a time from Sarco. They were 30.00 each in lots of 7. The demil consisted of drilling and putting a stud through the chamber. I would rebarrel them to belted magnums, the large 303 boltface was ideal without modification.

That's cool. One of my favorite rifles was a 300WBY built on a m1917... They are a big action and just right for a big long belted magnum...

That's cool. One of my favorite rifles was a 300WBY built on a m1917... They are a big action and just right for a big long belted magnum...
I am always amused to hear about the cracking problems with many early 1903 Springfield's.....anyone ever heard about a problem with a 1917. Off course, many of the best features of the 1917 were plagiarized from Paul Mauser designs. I think there was a lawsuit over it.

I am always amused to hear about the cracking problems with many early 1903 Springfield's.....anyone ever heard about a problem with a 1917. Off course, many of the best features of the 1917 were plagiarized from Paul Mauser designs. I think there was a lawsuit over it.

Paul Mauser was a genious as far as I'm concerned. Many CRF platforms were derived from mausers design. I actually believe it was the 1903 springfield that plagerized Paul Mausers design and actually had to pay Mauser for many years... As far as hearing about receiver problems with the m1917, let us not forget about the many Eddystones that had cracked receivers from overtightened barrels and maybe an improper heat treatment...

BXpVWk1.jpg
Going for Black-Tail with this- a 7.35x51mm Carcano. I inherited a brutally ugly and neglected sporterized M38 along with a few hundred rounds from my Uncle Jim. I had a good-size chunk of walnut and I've always fancied a Mannlicher Carbine so I shortened the barrel to 16-1/2", made a new stock, fabricated a new front sight and mounted it, then refinished all of the metal.

Shoots 1" groups at fifty meters from the bench with the fixed iron sights, right to point of aim. Comparable in power to a .30-30 it's a handy little gun for the land I hunt, where shots over fifty yards are rare. Currently I am using round-nose soft-point ammunition that I got with the gun. Yeah, it's ancient but it's reliable and shoots to point of aim. Sadly it is Berdan primed (but non-corrosive) so there will be no reloading this brass. Eventually I'll get new boxer-primed brass and set up to swage .308 bullets down to .299-.300 for this rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top