JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello from Virginia. I'm going to be moving to the Olympia area of WA this summer and was told that this forum is a great source of information. I've been shooting for years, but just recently got into the competition scene. I'm going to be shooting a mix of USPSA and 3-gun and any help with finding the best matches in the area would be much appreciated.

Welcome to NWFA.

One of my old buddies has a daughter somewhere near VB. Lives right on the water. (Edit: Oops, she moved and now is listed as Surf City, NC... Where da heck is dat? Right next to BeachBoyzberg???)

You moving to the PNW for work?

Thanks for reply's guys. Is it hard to purchase guns out there? Pretty easy here, but they are in the middle of passing a bunch of anti-gun laws. Looking at banning AR's and high cap mags. Tried to pass a gun confiscation bill, but thankfully it didn't pass, for now.

Hello from Virginia. I'm going to be moving to the Olympia area of WA this summer and was told that this forum is a great source of information. I've been shooting for years, but just recently got into the competition scene. I'm going to be shooting a mix of USPSA and 3-gun and any help with finding the best matches in the area would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. All things discussion, locally, can be found here at NWFA.

And welcome to the great Northwest! Washington gun owners will appreciate your presence.

Try this for a start. Not exactly close to Oly but close enough (4 hours) to go to for a weekend. I don't do most of the stuff they do but it's a pretty nice range located in the wide open county. I've seen a LOT (60+/-) of vehicles/RV's there at times for some of their events. Running water and real toilets. :) Closet town is Benton City. 7.5 miles for gas/food/RV dump.

Dan

1582483942949.png

Try this for a start. Not exactly close to Oly but close enough (4 hours) to go to for a weekend. I don't do most of the stuff they do but it's a pretty nice range located in the wide open county. I've seen a LOT (60+/-) of vehicles/RV's there at times for some of their events. Running water and real toilets. :) Closet town is Benton City. 7.5 miles for gas/food/RV dump.

Dan

View attachment 662910
Thanks deckert, I'll definitely check it out. Sounds like a great excuse to get and see the area.

SBRs and cans legal if you have the appropriate federal stamp. If you are bringing any SBRs be sure to submit your federal permission slip early. Also SBS and MG illegal here except for limited exceptions. Binary triggers and trigger actuators illegal here too.

Is it hard to purchase guns out there?
Yes, and getting harder and more expensive.

Welcome to the NW. Bring a rain jacket. :) The 3 or 4 summer months are gorgeous and long days. Prepare for 8 or 9 months of short dark wet dreary days...

Lots of anti-gun sentiment in Washington (and Oregon) and anti-gunners run the tables. I just fled Washington. Washington has both a ballot initiative process that has been weaponized, and a anti-gun control of all branches of government and the major counties. It dishonestly and easily passed anti gun laws in 2014, and again in 2018, and will likely be passing multiple anti-gun legislation this year. And it won't end any time soon because of the apathy of Washington voters, 1/2 of which don't bother voting and 1/3 of voters vote against guns. I say that not to be pessimistic but anyone making a MAJOR life move across country needs to have an honest appraisal of the atmospherics on the ground.

*No FTF sales, all go thru an FFL.
* FFLs are being driven out of business with hostile taxes and regulations.
* Red flag laws are available and will erode into being weaponized.
* Mandatory safe storage laws in Washington.
* Health records releases to buy "assault weapons," and waiting periods of 10 BUSINESS days on semi-auto rifles and pistols (so that works out to be about 1/2 month wait factoring holidays and weekends).
* Mag bans, "assault weapon bans" and other bans are imminent, if not this term, then in the near future.
* Gun shows are dead.
* Your jury pool, if you ever need one, is going to reflect about 3/4 of the population that does not like guns.
* And other stuff, I'm not remembering. But there's more bad details...

Lots of other things. You can expect endless harassment of gun owners by the politicians and a culture there that just does not respect gun ownership. Shooting ranges are scarce, and many have really stupid rules (such as only 1 round in the gun at a time, or only 8 rounds at a time, or no rapid fire, or no humanoid targets, etc.), and very little convenient public land to shoot on. You have to drive a long way or own land to find a natural shooting environment.

Still pretty good in a few respects:
* The state constitution allegedly supports individual rights to keep and bear arms. I say "allegedly" because nobody in power cares or honors it.
* Concealed carry permits are "shall issue," and relatively inexpensive and simple to obtain. And they are reciprocal with most states that allow concealed carry. (Oregon does not and has its own "may issue" permit system only good for Oregon.)
* Second Amendment Foundation is HQ in Bellevue. Join and donate to them! They do a lot of great work.

In short, WA is a depressing state of affairs for a gun owner and enthusiast.

Last Edited:
Thanks for reply's guys. Is it hard to purchase guns out there? Pretty easy here, but they are in the middle of passing a bunch of anti-gun laws. Looking at banning AR's and high cap mags. Tried to pass a gun confiscation bill, but thankfully it didn't pass, for now.
We've been in this fight for a lot longer... so expect more of the same BS and a lot of letters to your representatives.
I'd study IP1639(?) for starters...
Welcome aboard!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top