Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sonic and Chili's ban guns

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by 45 for me, May 31, 2014.

1. 45 for me

45 for me Oregon Well-Known Member

This is in response to some open carry advocates bringing rifles into the restaurants.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/chilis-sonic-toughen-stance-guns-n118901

They are banning concealed as well. My CHL teacher mentioned that Tri-Met (public transport) doesn't allow firearms, but is technically a private company, so all they can do is ban you from taking the bus. He then went on to say he wouldn't get on a bus without a concealed weapon, and that if you need it, getting banned is better than dying. If you don't need it, nobody will know. So there. Sonic and Chili's suck anyway, so they won't lose my business because they never had it.

Having said that, I don't think the open carry activists are helping the general situation.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Sounds like I am going to loose a lot of weight not eating at these deep fried joints.

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

So where did Sonic come up with this? Aren't most of the customers sitting in their own vehicle? Guess their risk/threat assessment is so far off the "I'm scared to death of my own shadow" chart that they forgot just how bad it could be if someone decided to turn that drive in into a drive through.....

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Sounds like someone needs to file a discrimination lawsuit against these private businesses.

Though its their right to do so.. Its time for us to get on everyone else's (other various equal rights advocacy groups) level.

Like anything else, its just a rash and bigoted knee-jerk reaction.

Until we push back via lawsuits, this will keep happening despite OC'ers or not. Its discrimination plain and simple, especially to ban CHL CC'ers (by even mentioning it in the anti firearms policy)

Rocky C likes this.
  5. Rocky C

Rocky C Portland Metro Active Member

The gangs are not going to respect and adhere to these crazy carry bans.
    Neither will I....

dirtysteve, Joe13 and Redcap like this.
  6. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's worth the cherry lime aid with going without the gun.

Lush and JohnnyD like this.
  7. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Especially during happy hour when they're two-for-one! :D

8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Concealed means concealed.

9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I don't shop at places that ban guns.

At gun shows and places where they "require" no weapons but the law doesn't.... Well, let's just say that I'll risk being banned from the event on the outside chance I need my CC.

10. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I used to be an outspoken advocate of open carry. Not anymore. There may be some folks on this forum who also frequent the opencary.org Oregon forum. To you I say, pull your head out of your Clavin. The reason these restaurants are having "knee-jerk reactions is because I too would have a knee-jerk reaction to ANYONE bringing a long gun in to a restaurant!! I might even have the knee-jerk reaction of drawing down on them if I felt threatened. There is no reason WHATSOEVER to bring your g*dd***ed long guns into any freakin' restaurant just so you can blindly try to make a political statement.

I'll probably draw a lot of ire for this post, but as Rhett said to Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

11. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

So Sonic is banning me from having a weapon in my own car?
    There goes their breakfast business during hunting season in many areas of the country.

12. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've never been to either. So it's much ado about nothing. Unless I'm knowingly headed for a pat down, my right side will always hang a little low.

13. Soren

Soren Beaverton, Oregon Active Member

JohnnyD and Redcap like this.
  14. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

If they are then why does Trimet get to have "E" or "Publicly Owned" license plates? In other words registration for free from the state?

No argument here. I'm wondering if these idiots aren't plants from the Brady Bunch or Moms Demanding Action.

15. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I agree.

Given the media hype regarding various crazies shooting up people, I would not blame someone who was carrying concealed if they drew down on someone openly carrying an AR or AK into a restaurant. What possible reason would someone have for carrying a rifle into a restaurant other than to do harm?

Only a stupid person would do this to make a political statement in todays environment.:rolleyes:

16. 45 for me

45 for me Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't know, I was just reporting what was said. Certainly they are affiliated with the state, but he said there were no legal repercussions, as there would be to something like taking a gun into a federal courthouse.

17. The Heretic

Pogo.jpg

Hawaiian, rick benjamin and Rocky C like this.
  18. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

If they are sending "plants" to make us look stupid and extremist as many suspect, then they certainly are not us.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  19. 4dogs

4dogs 3 miles from the range Active Member

Geez, I had lunch at Sonic in Salem a couple of weeks ago, carrying concealed. I probably should have advised them when I ordered to see if they wanted my business... LOL! I dont' have to go back there, it isn't that good anyway

20. The Heretic

The point is that most factions harm themselves through the actions of the idiots who join them - there is no need for infiltration.

pdx225 likes this.