JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's awesome, I love that stuff. Years ago I went on a tour of the abandoned NIKE missile sites that surrounded the port of Los Angeles early in the cold war. Some were right inside neighborhood parks. Crazy.

Unfortunately your link is already throwing a 404 error :(

Yeah the Nike sites were all over, and the most surprising thing is how few people knew that they were armed with both conventional and nuclear AA missiles. The nukes were a last-ditch to knock out any large clustered flights of Soviet bombers.

I regret being too young to find a lot of the local ones before they were destroyed. I've still been meaning to find a few of the remaining ones in western WA. There's also a fully restored site in the SF Bay that is open for tours.

Flying around some of the larger cities in the mountain west, you can sometimes spot the sites scattered around the metro area.. Spokane in particular has several still visible sites, if you know what to look for.

If you want to kill some time, check out this guy's site. He has several KMZ files for Google Earth that will let you navigate to all of the known abandoned missile sites in the US. Many are still just sitting out there, untouched :)

http://ed-thelen.org/loc.html

I wonder what keeps the water from getting brackish, and hopefully you don't breath anything but from your regulators, because there could be some nasty gases in those confined air pockets!

Not sure if you have brackish confused with another term since it has to do with salt water, Brackish water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The shop has the air and water tested. They have been diving it for a long time, over a decade.

OK, foul, stagnant, swampy, stinky, aka... McNasty!

Sheesh, diver nerd speak... Haters! ;)

;) I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

There is actually minor currents that run though there keeping it from being stagnant. The guide explained it to us but I can not recall the exact route. It was built it was below the water table so there are ducts and wells that were used to cycle the water out. The pumps are gone, but the flow is still there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top