JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Most of my reloading is geared towards light loads that I can't buy commercially. I have some Trail Boss for this purpose. In the past I used Bullseye with Dacron on top of the powder to take up space.

Reading about the .45-70 and .45-90 I came across the .45-60 and some mention of a few people who loaded .45-60 for use in a .45-70 rifle.

BTW, not interested in going to .45-90 in the Marlin, I am not going to hot load the Marlin so I don't need the larger case to keep the pressure within safe limits on the Marlin (which is not the rifle to be loading hot .45-70 ammo in). I am interested in smaller cases to load light pressure loads using Trail Boss - I think there might be a benefit to using a smaller case, both with regards to using less powder and lower pressure/etc.

I know (or have read) it is possible to cut down a .45-70 case to .45-60 length to use for reloading, and I know it would be a good idea to clean the chamber after shooting such a cartridge, but I have not read about how such a shorter case would feed in a lever action, specifically a Marlin 1895. I have read about converting the 1895 to .45-90 (including work on feeding mechanisms?) and that it would still shoot .45-70.

But I am interested in experience with the rifle with regards to feeding the shorter cases when it is setup to feed the longer cases. I know you can get too short and have problems - does anyone have experience with this issue? E.G., the Big Horn Armory .460 mag lever actions feeding .45 Colt?

BTW - one of the projectiles I am thinking of using for this purpose would be a .458 round ball - possibly some loads with multiple round balls in the .45-70 or maybe .45-90 case (the latter hand fed with the ball barely sticking out of the case - I think *might* fit into a .45-70 chamber?).

BTW - one of the projectiles I am thinking of using for this purpose would be a .458 round ball - possibly some loads with multiple round balls in the .45-70 or maybe .45-90 case (the latter hand fed with the ball barely sticking out of the case - I think *might* fit into a .45-70 chamber?).

.45-90 would not fit into a .45-70 chamber even without the projectile - the case neck being too wide - I was afraid that would be the case (pun intended).

Thanks. Haven't found any round ball TB load data yet - it is all for conventional shape/weight bullets. I guess I will have to do some experimenting this summer - I don't think I will get into trouble with TB & 144 gr balls - should be low pressure.

I looked at one of those pressure sensor systems, but at almost $1K it seemed like it was outside what I wanted to spend. I do need to get a new chrono though.

The rim on the .45-70 is much larger and the case is somewhat bottlenecked, so I believe you would have to use cut down .45-70

I have read different takes on this, some say they are different, others say the .45-60 is just a shortened .45-70: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45-60_Winchester

Either way, I would not start with .45-60 brass (which is expensive as only one manufacturer makes the ammo and maybe only a few sell the brass), I would cut down .45-70 brass to reduce case capacity - that is the goal, less case capacity.

My question is, will a shorter cartridge feed in the Marlin '95?

Gotcha.

Do you currently load for .45-70? If so, cut a couple cases and seat some bullets to function test. Some heavy/long bullets may be able to be seated long enough to make up the length difference if it becomes a problem.

Crap, missed that part.

I've been intrigued by 3-ball loads for my 1895, but haven't tried it. I have been warned to watch for leading in the micro groove barrels with soft lead bullets.

Make some and let us know how it works.

Seems like reinventing the 45colt

To a point. Unfortunately .45LC would never work in a .45-70. I have often thought that it would be really cool to have a cartridge that would be a shortened .45-70 pistol cartridge, that would work in both the rifle and the handgun. Oh wait - .460 Magnum!

Problem is, a BHA rifle in .460 mag is ~$3K. Maybe someday I will go for that, but I am given to understand that .45LC won't feed in a BHA chambered for .460 Mag? Too short? It will chamber, but the feeding mechanism will only work down to .454 Casull, so the .45 LC would have to be hand fed? Maybe I am wrong?

The .460 Mag approaches .45-70 power with lighter bullets, but the .45-70 surpasses it with heavy bullets. The .45-70 also has a longer cartridge for trying multi-ball loads.

I don't know. I want to try this with my .45-70 first. If I find I am not happy with my SBL then I will sell it and maybe get a BHA?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top