JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool post thanks for sharing....
Granted no surprise that I would " like " the OP....:D
Andy
10869523_10153065083591553_2530349676667462476_o.jpg

YUP, I almost learned to swim the same way, it was ether a kick in the swim suit currently installed on my butt, or I did it my self before said boot was applied to my butt! :s0140:
Funny how many of life's lessons we learn those ways, and I agree, the old ways ARE almost always better!

YUP, I almost learned to swim the same way, it was ether a kick in the swim suit currently installed on my butt, or I did it my self before said boot was applied to my butt! :s0140:
Funny how many of life's lessons we learn those ways, and I agree, the old ways ARE almost always better!
Same here..my uncle picked me up and tossed me into the deep end of a pool...I quickly learned the dog-paddle..:s0139:
Maybe I should sue someone for PTSD...lol

My parents made me take swim lessons at our local high schools indoor pool after having a near drowning experiance in a neighbors backyard pool when I was 11.
I didn't want to go, but after taking one look at the swim instructor, I jumped in head first. She could have stood in for Pamela Anderson as a stunt double.

Swimming lessons? Thinking about it now, there were no swimming lessons. Watch someone swim, get in the shallow end and copy what they do. Voila. I'm thinking THE THING that needs to be taught is to not panic. Panic = Drown.

Every year once the weather warms, you hear of kids/people that step off into a drop-off, panic and drown. How many people drown in America every year under those circumstances? And all others imaginable. And why aren't parents getting their babies in water at a very young age? Where's the push to save those your lives??

Stats - End Drowning Now

Dad was a Lifeguard - I learned to swim in our backyard Doughboy pool by the time I was 3yrs old... by the age of 7 I was body surfing at The Wedge... no need to throw kids in.

by the age of 7 I was body surfing at The Wedge...

o_O :s0153: The wedge? The huge cheese festival in PDX every year?

:s0114:

o_O :s0153: The wedge? The huge cheese festival in PDX every year?

:s0114:

Yup!!

Real live action of people eating it:

Edit: World famous beach location, part of Newport Beach CA

Last Edited:
Remember the Pike?

Really?? Are you kidding? The Pike was up in long Beach wasn't it? Or was there more than one pike? there was a road that went out over the water with colored light post lamps. A fun center? I was very young and remember renting a room in a motel on the beach in long beach. After that we went to Newport Beach where we rented a room for a week right on the beach. Balboa Island and pier. Newport Pier. Fishing off the piers in the ocean. The Pavilion where dad would rent a boat with a live well in the middle for a couple scoops of live anchovies. Fishing in Newport Bay.

Really?? Are you kidding? The Pike was up in long Beach wasn't it? Or was there more than one pike? there was a road that went out over the water with colored light post lamps. A fun center? I was very young and remember renting a room in a motel on the beach in long beach. After that we went to Newport Beach where we rented a room for a week right on the beach. Balboa Island and pier. Newport Pier. Fishing off the piers in the ocean. The Pavilion where dad would rent a boat with a live well in the middle for a couple scoops of live anchovies. Fishing in Newport Bay.

My childhood summers were always spent at Newport Beach, 2-3 times a week we traveled about 2hrs to go. Sometimes Huntington Beach, but it was bigger, longer, wider, and Newport seemed more... colloquial? Dad worked for the phone company and vacations were a rented cottage in Newport about 3 blocks from the sand. One had to cross Costa Mesa Blvd and I was 5, 7 in the early years so I spent a bunch of time in the backwaters of Newport Bay.
Balboa Island was a place to go, but I don't remember much about it. I sorta remember the Pike.
Yep - the Pike in Long Beach!

Man I spent a lot of time fishing off Newport Pier - and remember the live anchovies - and the salted dead ones as well !

Okay, I've been trying to figure this out for years... if The Pike was in Long Beach, where was Pacific Ocean Park (P.O.P.)???

Fishing from the piers at both Newport and H.B., catching croakers, and endless number of sand sharks!! As an adult, my brother lived in Costa Mesa and we used to haunt H.B. pier in the early hours of the morning... that was when I learned how much old guys know... There was always a bunch of em and always good stories!!

Dad was a Lifeguard - I learned to swim in our backyard Doughboy pool by the time I was 3yrs old... by the age of 7 I was body surfing at The Wedge... no need to throw kids in.
The Wedge was one mean body wompin break. I remember back in the 60's going to see surf movies at the Pier Ave auditorium in Hermosa Beach. Always had the Wedge in it.

Yep - the Pike in Long Beach!

Man I spent a lot of time fishing off Newport Pier - and remember the live anchovies - and the salted dead ones as well !
My childhood summers were always spent at Newport Beach, 2-3 times a week we traveled about 2hrs to go. Sometimes Huntington Beach, but it was bigger, longer, wider, and Newport seemed more... colloquial? Dad worked for the phone company and vacations were a rented cottage in Newport about 3 blocks from the sand. One had to cross Costa Mesa Blvd and I was 5, 7 in the early years so I spent a bunch of time in the backwaters of Newport Bay.
Balboa Island was a place to go, but I don't remember much about it. I sorta remember the Pike.

Okay, I've been trying to figure this out for years... if The Pike was in Long Beach, where was Pacific Ocean Park (P.O.P.)???

Fishing from the piers at both Newport and H.B., catching croakers, and endless number of sand sharks!! As an adult, my brother lived in Costa Mesa and we used to haunt H.B. pier in the early hours of the morning... that was when I learned how much old guys know... There was always a bunch of em and always good stories!!

Balboa Island was just a bunch of rich people houses as far as I remember. nothing fun for kids that;s for sure.

Wow. Blows my mind thinking we may have been hanging around in the same places at the same time. I'm not sure I remember Long Beach, or remember home movies/photos. The beach motel we stayed at was at the bottom of a cliff, right on the beach. They built two huge, round buildings with a lot of glass right above on top of the cliff. And later put oil wells out in the bay that were made to look like futuristic buildings. If the Queen Mary had been there then it would have been visible from the motel.

Newport Beach.... We always went before school let out. Where we stayed out on the Newport Peninsula we stepped out our door, cross the sidewalk and step on the sand. If we went the other way, a two block walk you were standing at the Newport Bay. I was something like 9-10 and dad would rent me an air mattress type thing and I'd kinda surf in the ocean with it and then take it back in the bay too and paddle all over. There was a bowling green on that road too. I still remember how good the food smelled and tasted from "The Stuft Surfer Cafe". Char broiled wasn't a thing in Utah yet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top