JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, yes. Actually I did. Our neighbor had that very automobile. Those chrome bumpers were shiny! Used to look at myself reflected in those shapely orbs. Ah, the memories. :cool:

@Spitpatch If you haven't seen it already, there is an interesting article titled "An Ode to the .250-3000 Savage" online as part of the NRA American Hunter magazine. The article talks more about the .250-3000 Savage Improved.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/an-ode-to-the-250-3000-savage/
Just got thru it! Thanks for that.

Edited to add:

I thought it rather sad that the author talked up what a great "improvement" the .250 Ackley was, then ends up only able to afford an Encore barrel, thus cutting the guts out of any improvement.

He was right where Ackley's self-praise was concerned. The Roberts and the Savage exhibit the very best result of Ackley's application.

Last Edited:
Great find and write up, I'm a fan too. I have a 250AI and am keeping it as I downsize out of my other centerfires. I've stopped hunting elk, the 250 will do for everything else from now on. I reload 80 and 100 gr Barnes TTSX bullets for game animals, 70 gr Sierra for varmints too.

The 300 Savage (from the 250 Savage) was the starting point for the 308. There have been 6.5 - 250/3000 and AI wildcats for a long time. You can even neck size and fireform 250 or 250AI brass into a 6.5 creedmoore. Shooters have been looking for better bullet selection for 250's for a long time.

Okay, now this rifle got spooky weird.

I was in Montana in March for a gun show, made contact with a very dear friend that is also an amazing metalsmith/gunsmith. We are "Brothers from a different Mother". A spooky event occurred 15 years ago, when he and I discovered that the Proprietor of the gun shop just over the ridge from my house (and a dear, close friend of mine) was ALSO a longtime friend and Eastern Montana hunting partner of the gunsmith!

....but that's not what this is about. It's about a gun.

I talked at length with my gunsmith buddy at the show, and in the course of events, I told him of the Pfeifer Rifle.
He got extremely attentive (especially at the mention of .250-3000), and actually allowed me to finish my story (a rare event for either of us).

He asked pointed questions about the magazine follower spring.

He had WORKED ON THIS RIFLE WHEN THE DISGRUNTLED CABELA"S EMPLOYEE OWNED IT!

Voiced the guy's name without me telling him.

The Russian Brothers live in a very small world, I told him.

Last Edited:
The gun definitely was looking for you. Its so cool to learn the history of the quarterbore and the custom build of this rifle and after all these years the best way to honor a gun like this is it to land in the hands of someone who knows the history of the caliber and the gun driving it and can continue to put it to use. Many guns like this trade hands for the sake of collecting, this gun found its home it was built for as if you ordered it yourself.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top