JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can switch between calibers, so you don't have to buy multiple firearms.

http://www.gunsandtactics.com/desert-tech-mdr-the-new-bullpup-benchmark

Relatively lightweight (under 8 pounds) which is one of the reasons I sold my AWC G2A (it weight 12 pounds with scope and heavy barrel). Good trigger (3 to 4 pounds). MSRP will be $2100 to $2600 depending on configuration. No word that I can find on what it costs to get the different barrels.

Takes standard mags (AR, SR25), no word that I have found on which mag it will take for 7.62x39 - AK mag would be really nice as they are cheap, plentiful and very reliable.

This could replace multiple rifles in a personal defense armory: FN-FAL, AK, AR, Tavor, AUG, etc.

mdr-4-600-800.jpg&w=600&h=800&zc=1

.308 Win | 16" Barrel Length | 27.12" Overall Length | 7.5 lbs | 1 in 10" Barrel Twist | 20-25 Round Magazine

.223 Rem | 10.5" Barrel Length | 21.62" Overall Length | 7.12 lbs | 1 in 7" Barrel Twist | 30 Round Magazine

.223 Rem | 16" Barrel Length | 27.12" Overall Length | 7.5 lbs | 1 in 7" Barrel Twist | 30 round magazine

300 BLK | 10.5" Barrel Length | 21.62" Overall Length | 7.12 lbs | 1 in 8" Barrel Twist | 30 Round Magazine

7.62 x 39 | 16" Barrel Length | 27.12" Overall Length | 7.5 lbs | 1 in 9.5" Barrel Twist | 30-40 Round Magazine

6.8 SPC | 10.5" Barrel Length | 21.62" Overall Length | 7.12 lbs | 1 in 10" Barrel Twist | 30 Round Magazine

Last Edited:
I have owned a number of bullpup rifles and a shotgun. I love them. Great balance and handling.

Not everybody likes them though.

Not many 7.62x39 bullpups out there from the factory that are available in the USA. The Norinco 86s is the only available one in the US that I am aware of, AK based, and kind of hard to find as only somewhere between 500 and 2000 got imported before an import ban was in place.

The DT ability to swap caliber is really nice. It will be interesting to see what kind of accuracy they provide, and whether a person could get an integral suppressor fitted. If sufficiently accurate, such a rifle would make a good pig gun, especially with a suppressor.

Now if I can just get my AR50 sold I could buy one of these and several barrels.

Here is a 7.62x39 bullpup rifle based on a SKS

http://sgworks.com/

I have owned a couple of bullpups and really like them a lot. I first owned a Steyr AUG back in the mid 90's and now have the US version with the MSAR E-4. Very easy to handle in tight areas.

Last Edited:
Here is a 7.62x39 bullpup rifle based on a SKS

http://sgworks.com/

I have owned a couple of bullpups and really like them a lot. I first owned a Steyr AUG back in the mid 90's and now have the US version with the MSAR E-4. Very easy to handle in tight areas.
Conversion.

Not from the factory.

I am usually not a big fan of conversions, many of them make the rifle harder to field strip (often you need a tool), have thin plastic that rattles, and don't hold the rifle well, making it move around in a clamshell. By all means avoid any Muzzlelite stocks.

Beyond that, I am not a fan of the SKS when I can have an AK for a reasonable amount more.

Norinco 86S:

nor86s762u863.jpg

All metal. Shares parts with Type 56

Last Edited:
It would be good if DT included 5.45x39

Then all the bases for military rifle ammo would be covered.

It will also be interesting to see what the field strip process is compared to something like the Tavor. Since they will probably be targeting military contracts I am hoping they don't require tools, and that is simple and quick.

Last Edited:
The MSRP for the least expensive one is $2100, which puts it within $200 of a Tavor (MSRP $1900) - street price TBD, but probably a wider gap.

Assuming it was fairly accurate, it could replace an FN-FAL or M1A or RFB, an AK (or two), an AR and/or Tavor. Once you add up the cost of those rifles (not to mention their optics, mods, accoutrements) the MDR becomes downright cheap by comparison.

To each their own.

I will wait and see what the reviews say - I still have a number of questions/reservations, but assuming they don't make terrible choices in their implementation, this is a rifle I could standardize on.

Kel-Tec is coming out with a multi-cal bullpup also,It will be available in 6.5 Grendel too!
KT has a number of problems with their bullpups, including accuracy, and I would predict that the MDR will be significantly more accurate, which in 7.62x51 is something that I would prefer when shooting beyond 300 meters. I am not a big fan of KT firearms, their bullpups being one of the few firearms they have made that I would consider purchasing. For the price, I think the MDR would be better than the RFB.

In 7.62x51 config, I would have the MDR setup with a decent long range scope (Nightforce 2.5x10 or Leupold 2x10 would be a place to start) - assuming the precision of the rifle itself was less than 1.5 MOA.

Absolutely a good deal when compared to even 2 AR's for sure.

I have a kid on the way to college next year, so $2100 should cover a couple weeks tuition if I'm lucky :(.

In a few years, these will be in my $ range and looks like a nice option at that point.

KT has a number of problems with their bullpups, including accuracy, and I would predict that the MDR will be significantly more accurate, which in 7.62x51 is something that I would prefer when shooting beyond 300 meters. I am not a big fan of KT firearms, their bullpups being one of the few firearms they have made that I would consider purchasing. For the price, I think the MDR would be better than the RFB.

In 7.62x51 config, I would have the MDR setup with a decent long range scope (Nightforce 2.5x10 or Leupold 2x10 would be a place to start) - assuming the precision of the rifle itself was less than 1.5 MOA.

I did not know the KT's were in circulation yet other than gun tests/reports. I'm not a fan of any 2K dollar "new kid on the block" bullpup or KT products really, Just like the idea of the Grendel. I will force myself to buy a AUG NATO soon though...

The RFB has been on the street for a little while, the KSG too.

I would prefer a Tavor over the AUG.

DT has a lot of experience with bolt action swappable caliber bullpups, and they have a general reputation for quality, but this is their first semi-auto bullpup.

I would go with the P90 if I didn't think that the ergos of the handgrip sucked so badly.

Myself and two members of my family have the same rifles, and two have the same handguns, while a third has a handgun in the same chambering. These are our personal defense guns.

One of these family members has a medical condition that isn't going to get any better, at best it will be the same or more likely eventually get worse, hopefully slowly over time. This medical condition makes causes problems with shooting due to muscle strength and control, among other things, such as stamina, etc. - so weight and size is an issue, and so is recoil. The 5.7x28 in a handgun and a bullpup would be great due to low recoil, low weight of ammo and firearms and the bullpup is easier to shoot.

The greater mag capacities of 10/20/30 for the pistol and 50 for the bullpup, plus the ability to use the same ammo in both really would help too.

I am still considering it - but I would definitely have this member spend some time shooting both guns before buying some.

Personally I don't like the grips on the pistol any more than I like the handgrip on the bullpup - which is too bad because otherwise I think these would be a great combo. The grips on the pistol could maybe be modified to be a little more friendly.

We'll see. Even if I go that route, I would probably still get at least one MDR also.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top