JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
News outlets are starting to explode with speculation that Kitzhaber may be making plans to leave office as he cancelled a planned event for this weekend and Kate Brown is making a sudden change in plans to return to Oregon ASAP.

So, if this happens and we end up with Brown as our new Governor, what impact might this have on any planned anti-gun legislation this session? Will it damage chances due to folks having perhaps little faith in a Governor that wasn't elected to be Governor?

Keep a close eye on this one. His attorney said Kitz has no plans to leave office, at least he hopes he'll stay in office :confused: Odd comment from him, he doesn't sound 100% certain:

http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2015/02/reports_sweep_salem_that_john.html#incart_2box

Gov. John Kitzhaber's private attorney, Jim McDermott, on Wednesday sought to tamp down a flurry of speculation that the governor was planning to resign.

"I have every reason to believe the governor will stay in office," McDermott said in a telephone interview with The Oregonian/OregonLive. "As a citizen and his lawyer, I certainly hope and expect he will be staying in office.

Speculation about the governor's future was fueled Wednesday morning after Secretary of State Kate Brown cut short a trip to Washington, D.C. to return to Oregon.

The governor's office has not responded to requests for comment about whether he was getting ready to leave office amid controversy over fiancee Cylvia Hayes' consulting contracts and how he and his aides handled them.

Brown's spokesman, Tony Green, pointedly did not say why she was returning early to Oregon.

Politicians on both sides reported hearing rumors of a pending resignation, which dominated conversations inside the Capitol.

Kitzhaber has stayed out of public sight but his office cancelled his plans to celebrate the state's birthday on Saturday at a tree-planting in Tigard.

I would not be suprised if there is a deal being made to drop criminal charges in exchange for a resignation.

I don't know if it will change anything about gun legislation by having Brown as governor. She is definately anti-gun.

Someone said she has legal problems too on the last thread that got shut down on this subject.
Perhaps if she gets in and her troubles are real too, the anti-gun party will be weakened somewhat?
That might help the gun rights cause for the next election anyway.
This time around we are horsed I believe.

She of course has an NRA rating of F but so did Kitzhaber. Brown has a lot of social "issues" she prioritizes over gun control maybe. Those issues may turn off or turn on people to her side, who knows?

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/07/14/551395/-Know-Your-Candidates-Oregon
Democrat: Kate Brown
Birthdate: 06/21/1960
Hometown: Portland
Experience in Current Job: 12 Years.
Previous Government Experience: Senator, Oregon State Senate, 1996-present
Representative, Oregon State House of Representatives, 1991-1996.
Key Interest Group Ratings:
NARAL-100%.
ACLU-56%.
NRA-F.
AFL-CIO-89%.
Did You Know: Kate Brown was born in Torrejon de Ardoth, Spain and grew up in Minnesota. Before running for elective office, she was an attorney, practicing Family and Juvenile law.

This scandal feels a little too "House of Cards"ish to me. Am I alone? Sorta like they wanted Brown in all along and helped cover up and delay Kitz's problems just long enough to make it through the Election. Then afterwards, feed him to the wolves.:eek:

This scandal feels a little too "House of Cards"ish to me. Am I alone? Sorta like they wanted Brown in all along and helped cover up and delay Kitz's problems just long enough to make it through the Election. Then afterwards, feed him to the wolves.:eek:

That's one way to get 3.75 years of the Governor's office without that pesky thing called an Election, eh?

That's one way to get 3.75 years of the Governor's office without that pesky thing called an Election, eh?
Kval news did a little bio on her tonight after reporting the rumor of Kitz resigning soon.
Says she was a favorite for and had already been planning to run for Gov in 2018. That's news to me!

Maybe Kitz was too conservative for them, with his .22 bolt action, jeans and cowboy boots. He did after all make that comment about not overreaching on gun control right after winning the election.

<broken link removed>

" Embattled Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber had reached a decision to resign because of an ethics scandal surrounding him and his fiancée,"

yes, yes, yes, yes

"but he changed his mind, three people with direct knowledge of the situation said Wednesday."

bubblegum, bubblegum, bubblegum ....

That is a big, disappointing word - "but"

The local media knew FULL WELL of these scandals and SAT ON THEM during the election. It was a win-win for them as they knew they'd wind up with Kidslobber or Brown if it hit the fan.

Makes me SICK that they're nothing more than progressive political apparatchiks that only spew the party propaganda, and ignore anything that is actually news.

Yeah. I didnt hear a single thing in the news about the donestk explosion - but Clyde Lewis mentioned it on his program and I looked it up to verify because, well, Clyde is about as right as a broken clock most of the time and hes nuts even when hes right.

They dont report on anything unless it furthers their agenda. No such thing as a non biased reporter, but some did a LOT better at hiding bias than todays crop of "journalists":confused:

if kitzhaber does leave, it will derail antigun groups for a little while as they will need to establish relationship and deals with the new political leadership.

He was on the late news tonight, sounded a little ''shaken'' to say the least, not at all prepared for a late night interview :D. I'm surprised the news people showed up, then, a state cop ''security'' person stepped between the news person and the gov. End of interview. Doesn't ''kate'' have a bit of a scandal hanging over her head as well?
Something to do with $10.000 and a pretty well known cable company?? I think this is going to get even more interesting as time goes by. Stay tuned

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads