JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I "need" to buy a .22 lr semi auto. I'd like to make it to the range or quarry more than once every 6 weeks and a .22 makes it more affordable. I own a .357 and my carry .380 And I'm constantly kicking myself for not owning a 9mm or .22.

I'm thinking it should be a S&W M&P compact, threaded. I've read a few reviews and I think it's the right purchase for me. I wanted to see what all of you think. Any bad experiences with the gun?? Any other guns in the $3-$400 price range I might have missed?

Btw, I have small hands. I tend to shoot compact guns more accurately than something like a full size Glock or Springfield. For example: I shoot my friends XDs .45 very well.

So you're hoping for a tactical-type pistol? What I mean by that is a polymer semi-auto that sort of looks like a service-caliber handgun?

You should at least consider a dedicated 22, meaning a design that was intended solely for the 22, such as a Browning Buck Mark UBX (something with the smaller grip), or a Ruger Mark series (you can get Mark 3's pretty inexpensively right now since everyone wants a Mark 4). It is easier to buy a threaded barrel for the Buck Mark since the barrel is not the serialized part, whereas switching out the barrel on a Ruger Mark pistol requires removing the receiver, too, which is the serialized part and would require an FFL to buy.

I would trust these types of mags much more than than the M&P22 mags or the Walther P22 mags.

I bought my granddaughter a Ruger SR-22, on her return from Navy duty in Bahrain! We both like it a lot! It's been reliable and accurate!
I also like my Sig Mosquito, but the previous owner had issues with it and had the factory go through it before selling it to me. I like it a lot, now. It's a keeper! :)

Thanks for the advice. Chris, you are right to start the discussion about the target style pistols,others seem to agree. I'll make sure I try a Ruger Mark 3 or 4 before I make my purchase. The Browning is out of my price range I think. The Mosquito hadn't even crossed my mind, The SR-22 had. Maybe I'll go to SafeFire soon and rent/shoot some guns.

Yes Chris, I was looking for a polymer lower, service style pistol originally but my hearts not set on it.

Thanks again. I'm new to the NWFA. You guys are a useful and entertaining resource.

Hey,
I was at one of the big sporting good stores yesterday and the old dudes there seemed to have the same opinion as you guys. If I haven't owned a Ruger Mark pistol or a Browning Buckmark I am missing out. I handled a few of these pistols and I really like the Browning. They are a bit cheaper than I was expecting. I think eventually I will purchase one. I will keep an eye on the NWFA classifieds.

Hey,
I was at one of the big sporting good stores yesterday and the old dudes there seemed to have the same opinion as you guys. If I haven't owned a Ruger Mark pistol or a Browning Buckmark I am missing out. I handled a few of these pistols and I really like the Browning. They are a bit cheaper than I was expecting. I think eventually I will purchase one. I will keep an eye on the NWFA classifieds.
Don't rule out a Ruger MkII. I had one of the slab-side target models in stainless and it was a really accurate, quality pistol. I sold it to make room in the budget for my 1911 in .45ACP.

My favorite .22 pistol at the moment is my Ruger Mark III Target with a bull barrel. Zero recoil and dead nuts accurate as well as 100% reliable. It's the gun I often put in the hands of new shooters - and more than one have wanted to buy it off of me. Got my eyes on a Mark IV down the road.

I've owned ruger Mark I's and II's but wasn't real enthused about the Mark III's when they came out. Switched to Buckmarks and haven't looked back. I wish I would have kept my Ruger slabside Mark II though.

I finally bought a target pistol.... S&W Victory .22

We didn't discuss it at all, but it just felt right, haha. I put 200 rounds of assorted .22 through it yesterday and it functioned flawlessly. We'll see if I'm kicking myself in 6 months for not getting the Buckmark but as of now I'm really happy with my purchase, it works great, fits my small hands very well, is accurate and is very easy to take-down and clean.

I got the threaded one, maybe someday I'll get a suppressor.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top