JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For me, finding a place to shoot is easy, finding someone to go with is the difficult part. Well,there's the wife and kids but i'm just the driver/guide/magazine loader/fire builder/range safety officer/sammich maker/general man servant (not however,a rifleman). And of course, they have no interest in load development, long range shooting,getting there before three in the afternoon or tannerite.

Am I alone in such a predicament?

For me, finding a place to shoot is easy, finding someone to go with is the difficult part. Well,there's the wife and kids but i'm just the driver/guide/magazine loader/fire builder/range safety officer/sammich maker/general man servant (not however,a rifleman). And of course, they have no interest in load development, long range shooting,getting there before three in the afternoon or tannerite.

Am I alone in such a predicament?

Exactly why I love to shoot by myself. If the wife and kid want to go shooting I'm more than happy to take them and help improve them. But when I plan to go shooting I much like to do it alone!

Exactly why I love to shoot by myself. If the wife and kid want to go shooting I'm more than happy to take them and help improve them. But when I plan to go shooting I much like to do it alone!

I do go alone and sometimes that's not bad. One good thing about it is I always win top shot at the shoot off.

You are not alone. Unless I am planning to make a day of it which might include lots of people, setting up benches, targets and the usual letting others shoot many of my guns (under my supervision and I NEVER mind) I usually go by myself which gives me the opportunity to test loads, different ideas to optimize accuracy and if I am rifle shooting I do not have to deal with other muzzle blasts impeding my accuracy (kind of like someone talking 'over' your putt). I like the social aspect of shooting but occasionally I prefer to go it alone. Another thing is I do not have to go far to shoot -sometimes I just take a few guns in the trunk of my quad and head into the National Forest behind my house when I just want to run a few rounds and not take the time to set up targets or a bench.

Nope I just step out my back door and shoot when I want. Well sometimes, last couple mags were from my living room window.

I used to do that too, back when I was single. Theres' even a a nick in a window frame where I was being sneaky on a starling. But now that I am married, even if I pick all the brass out of the carpet, its totally unacceptable.

Your not alone, IF i am lucky someone will goto the ranges with me. But that is only so fun, i have had a case of tannerite for the better part of a year and am aching to use it up. Unfortunately for me most of my shooting buddies are on the coast and the locations we shoot at have been rather wet this year so far so we have not been able to go yet.

I would go alone but i really don't want to goto browns camp or a similar location without a partner. Call it paranoia or what you will, but i call it safety in numbers.

I had the same problem fly fishing with my wife. By the time I got her set up, float tube ready, getting her situated - I added another hour onto the prep time. Then she would catch a fish and I had to deal with it.
Now I assume if she goes - I do not plan on much fishing.

However _ I do go by myself fishing or a friend.

As far as shooting - joina club

I would go alone but i really don't want to goto browns camp or a similar location without a partner. Call it paranoia or what you will, but i call it safety in numbers.

I do go alone but I haven't recently (I get the guilt trip from my girls if I go without them). Your concerns are valid though, a couple of years ago, Forest Service cop got herself murdered by some whacko. Myself, I've met a few people up in the woods that I wouldnt turn my back on but I really dont have any problem with going alone..

Nope I just step out my back door and shoot when I want. Well sometimes, last couple mags were from my living room window.

So do you have a catcher that drops the brass right into the tumbler? Shoot from the reload room?
But you probably only have a 1000 yard range huh?
I tell ya

And I kinda like to shoot alone when sighting guns in.I have a buddy up here that likes the company,but we start BSin' about politics and survival and don't concentrate on sighting as much.
Shooting with folks is for the AK,AR,SKS and 22s.Rapid unloading mag shooting.

The wife and I just settled here in Hillsboro and are looking for people and places to shoot at distance. If anyone would like to consider a GTG to do a little shooting as a group. count us in. just PM me and we can either meet in advance sometime or just plan a trip. We dont know the area very well but did go out to Brown's camp quarry. the quarry had no shooting signs plastered all over it. Besides that there were about a hundred people buzzing around the backwoods on bikes so I dont think shooting there is a hot idea.
Are there any open areas that are available to shoot in?
I am already missing the Nevada desert...

th_DSC_0182.jpg

We dont know the area very well but did go out to Brown's camp quarry. the quarry had no shooting signs plastered all over it. Besides that there were about a hundred people buzzing around the backwoods on bikes so I dont think shooting there is a hot idea.
Actually Browns camp quary is a great place to shoot... This is only during the off season. Right now there is digging operation going on. They will shut down the excavation operations and we are cleared to shoot there again. Some have connection with Stephani in the Forest Dept, and she lets us know the latest happening there... There is another mining pit i/we shoot at, its off hwy 26 and Section 10 road. Id be happy to show you. I might be heading up this week if you wanted to tag along.

jim

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads