JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Several months ago I was talking to someone about my reloading and they said I was fooolish to pay good money for a set of 9mm dies because "9mm ammo is so cheap and is available everywhere"!

I hope they remember that conversation now, because 9mm is three times more exI am able train with real ammo (with discretion) because I stockpiled ammo and can reload to replace it. :cool:

Yea, 9mm was the first cartridge I reloaded for.. decades ago.
A certain member here would always poopoo reloading in general and 9mm in particular saying when accounting for one's time it was retarded.
Well, now many have nothing but free time on their hands just literally sitting at home not able to work.
It's nice to have the ability to fabricate ammunition for whatever purpose.

I hope you speak with this person again and do the old "I told ya so"!

Won't do any good. People rationalize their decisions - right or wrong

Personally, I have reloading equipment for SHTF and only reload for special ammo, such as really light loads that you can't buy. For me, currently, it is more efficient for me to spend my time working and doing other things than to reload. Also, I bought sufficient ammo when it was inexpensive.

There may be times when the savings isn't really there compared to buying new. However it's always wise to have the components and dies available when that situation changes.

Won't do any good. People rationalize their decisions - right or wrong

Personally, I have reloading equipment for SHTF and only reload for special ammo, such as really light loads that you can't buy. For me, currently, it is more efficient for me to spend my time working and doing other things than to reload. Also, I bought sufficient ammo when it was inexpensive.

I hope they don't look my way for more 9mm ammo, because I'll just smile and walk away.

Right now I'm looking at 2000 x 155gr .300cal bullets for my two .308Win and a K11 and K31, both of which also shoot a .308 bullet of this weight. I also have around 800 x .45-70 bullets to hand and thanks to a buddy here, another 400 or os 7mm...add to that a coupla thousand 158gr FNL bullets and I'm good to go, if necessary.......6.5? Yup, around a thousand of them, too.

Been a reloader for 40 years now for many calibers, pistol and rifle. 3 years ago I picked up my first 223 dies. 2 years ago I picked up my first set of 9mm dies. I have seen too much volatility in the market over the years so I have taken measures to insulate myself a bit. I will still buy factory ammo for these two chamberings if the price is right, but that day looks to be down the road a piece. Good for you having some foresight :s0090:.

There may be times when the savings isn't really there compared to buying new. However it's always wise to have the components and dies available when that situation changes.
Agree completely with that statement. It is prudent to have components on hand
2-3 weeks ago, the OP's pal was right. 9mm was cheap and abundant. What a difference a virus made to that situation.:confused:
Anyway, I am very well stocked with ammo, but if this stay in place stuff goes on, I may just start reloading as a way to pass the time

Hell, I still have M1 Carbine dies..... just in case.

Doesn't everybody? I mean, everybody that has, or has interest in, the .30 Carbine? No-brainer!

I reload for pleasure. If savings are had then that's a plus. Currently because of bulk buys I believe I'm still paying less than retail for 9mm. My home made ammo is way more pretty too! .357 mag in a nickle case, with a Montana GOLD 125 grain crowning it is a thing of beauty. Almost too pretty to shoot. Might scratch the brass loading/shooting in the M 94 Winchester.;)

I'd never POLUTE my beautiful hunting rifles with FACTORY ammo. My black/plastic guns get the factory crap which I buy in bulk.

My beautiful 18.5" Stainless Steel Spiral Fluted MSR gets worked up loads of hollow point for chucks, no factory, it's worthless for hunting. And the shorty uses factory for plinking but soft points when it's next to my bed. :)

Are you back to work full duty???

I reload mostly because there are No factory loads available, or they are rare and or super expensive! I reload because many factory loads are way below the capabilities ( .30/06 ) of many rifles! I reload because often there are no factory combinations of bullet and powder that I desire ( 10 mm auto) available!
Cost savings only applies to loads like .308 or 5.56, or even .45 ACP, loads that are done in bulk! I'm saving some on a box of 20 for .300 win mag, but i'm not really seeing a performance gain there! For serious cost savings, the .338 L.M is a prime example, same with the .375 Weatherby Magnum, IF you can find a factory load, your paying close to $100 a box, and then the quality and performance isn't all that great!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top