JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this at Maplewood Elementary School today... someone should tell them they are (currently) all wet.

:rolleyes:

IMG_3688.JPG

Just some office lady showing off her MS Word skilz...probably updated her Linkedin profile shortly thereafter as well.

It's also established case law they (currently) have no authority to make, let alone enforce such a policy. o_O

Yes and no. I will answer from two different perspectives.

As a teacher, our principal (who is very supportive of guns) discussed this in one of our beginning of the year staff meetings. If I was to conceal carry on campus and I was "found out," I would lose both my job and my teaching license. This would be a clear violation of district policy. However, if someone OUTSIDE the district came onto campus the only thing they could do would be to ask them to leave and depending on the situation "ban" them from the property. So I specifically asked, "So If I carried I would lose my job and license, but if my husband carried while visiting me it would be okay?" My principal said "Yes, but concealed mean concealed, so it should not even come up." Realize, I work in a very small "gun friendly" town.

As a student, I was attending UCC at the time of the shooting. My husband and I discussed if I should carry when classes resumed. The law says I am good to go. The UCC says no. So what could UCC do? They could kick me out as a student. As it was the middle of the semester, I would not have gotten the credits I needed to keep my teaching license. Again concealed means concealed, however I remember an assistant principal being fired or "let go" for using his concealed carry gun against a school shooter.

As a teacher, our principal (who is very supportive of guns) discussed this in one of our beginning of the year staff meetings. If I was to conceal carry on campus and I was "found out," I would lose both my job and my teaching license. This would be a clear violation of district policy. However, if someone OUTSIDE the district came onto campus the only thing they could do would be to ask them to leave and depending on the situation "ban" them from the property. So I specifically asked, "So If I carried I would lose my job and license, but if my husband carried while visiting me it would be okay?" My principal said "Yes, but concealed mean concealed, so it should not even come up." Realize, I work in a very small "gun friendly" town.

As a student, I was attending UCC at the time of the shooting. My husband and I discussed if I should carry when classes resumed. The law says I am good to go. The UCC says no. So what could UCC do? They could kick me out as a student. As it was the middle of the semester, I would not have gotten the credits I needed to keep my teaching license. Again concealed means concealed, however I remember an assistant principal being fired or "let go" for using his concealed carry gun against a school shooter.

For you as an employee yes, as part of your employment conditions, for me (John Q Public) if I'm there for a legitimate reason, no. They cannot even legally ask me to leave the premises let alone ban me (provided I'm not just there for no good reason). HOWEVER I would not conduct myself as to cause a disturbance in a building full of kids in the first place, hence concealed means concealed.

That sign says even with a CHL, "I'm subject to arrest", which is bullpucky written by an ignoramous posing as an administrator.

As for the UCC issue, its better to potentially lose some credits and perhaps (temporarily) your teaching license than your life, yeah? Anti-2A "forces" rely on FEAR to get compliance, what they got were murdered students... brilliant.

Concerning those "in charge", it merely reaffirms my belief of "those who can, do. Those are who can't, become administrators." (NOT IMPLYING YOU) Why does it always seem that the more educated some people are, the dumber they become? :rolleyes:

Been through this all my life. Often had a job that being caught would mean being fired. Carried anyway. As long as you can manage to not tell anyone you work with, or better yet show them the gun, you are fine. I always figured the only way I was going to be found out was if I had to use said gun. In that case I'm alive and can find a new job.

I know some schools no longer teach handwriting because it's "no longer relevant," but are they ignorant of basic tense agreement within a sentence?

It should read:
"All weapons are prohibited on all Portland Public School ProperTIES." Not properTY, singular. Mrs. Taylor, my sixth grade teacher cum Grammar Nazi would be appalled.
Teacher gets an F. :eek:

A misspelled sign in a public school: that inspires confidence!
I'm a recovering English major, so I zeroed right in on that.
Outraged as much by bad English as by 2A infringements.
I can't help it.

No metal detector? No wanding? No problem... I'll keep my sidearm right where it is, on my side, hence the sidearm...

When I began carrying some 2+ decades ago, I would have given such a nonsensical sign it's undeserved credibility...

Now, if the facility isn't running some sort of metal detection, I remain armed... If for some reason I'm discovered and asked to leave, I'd comply...

I'm not one who's really interested in being out in the general population without the ability to defend myself...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top