JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eh, maybe I'll consider assembly of one.

Possibly in .300 BLK - I'm likin' the looks of this caliber! (cheap to load too!)
From everything out there, this caliber would be the better choice for a shorty AR rifle caliber.

There are also many many pistol calibers now available for the AR platform. Which most areas designed to be shot out of short pistol barrels.

Reno - thank you!

I was considering buying some sort of 'AR' pistol just to see what all the 'Hub Bub' was about them but reading about them reports are they are difficult to handle, not particularly accurate, loud, and kind of a range toy.

Nothing I am really interested in.

It's similar to an SBR but without the paperwork....Thats my simple answer

Speaking of avail. Calibers, Anybody ever shoot one of these PTR .308 pistols? Seems like quite a waste of power and hard to control I would guess?
91374740-FFF4-4B49-903F-07D4E86D0E18.jpeg
298C64B6-E297-4F05-80FC-978F332768C8.jpeg

Last Edited:
It's similar to an SBR but without the paperwork....Thats my simple answer
These days with turn around times on form 1s, I don't disagree. I no longer own anything with a pistol brace.

Considering some pistol braces cost half that of the stamp if not more than half.

I think the process can be intimidating for some. It was for myself. Once I did the first efile, I laughed at how stupid easy it was to complete. Then proceeded to stamp everything.

These days with turn around times on form 1s, I don't disagree. I no longer own anything with a pistol brace.

Considering some pistol braces cost half that of the stamp if not more than half.

I think the process can be intimidating for some. It was for myself. Once I did the first efile, I laughed at how stupid easy it was to complete. Then proceeded to stamp everything.
Do u still have to do two fingerprint cards like with suppressors?

Do u still have to do two fingerprint cards like with suppressors?
Yes. But that's easy. An ink pad and a few minutes and your on your way. I've done up a few extras already so as to only need to sign and date whenever the next application comes around for whatever project I'll likely do next.

Yes. But that's easy. An ink pad and a few minutes and your on your way. I've done up a few extras already so as to only need to sign and date whenever the next application comes around for whatever project I'll likely do next.
Ah I like that extras idea. Getting the cards is kind of a pain.

FBI sends them to you for free. Which can take some time.

I bought my last set of 20 off Amazon. Enough to last a while, maybe...
I thought u had to get them at sheriffs office to be official? Or is that just for suppressors? Or maybe I was led astray and didn't need to get them from sheriff's office after all?Getting from sheriffs office is the pain part for me (and somewhat costly but not bad).

An 8-10" 300 blk firing barnes 110 solid copper bullets is a solid PDW. The main advantage is that legally you can keep is loaded in your vehicle (with a CCW!) as opposed to a SBR.

In 5.56 i think 11.5-12.5 makes more sense.

I thought u had to get them at sheriffs office to be official? Or is that just for suppressors? Or maybe I was led astray and didn't need to get them from sheriff's office after all?Getting from sheriffs office is the pain part for me (and somewhat costly but not bad).
Nope, you can if you like. It is not required to have someone else print them. If you have the cards and an ink pad, you can submit a form 1 SBR online and mail out the FBI prints the same day. They take credit card or debit card at the end of the filing, then 3-4 weeks later, they email you an approval. Dremel your name, city and state on the receiver or barrel; or have a professional engrave it and you are finished.

Nope, you can if you like. It is not required to have someone else print them. If you have the cards and an ink pad, you can submit a form 1 SBR online and mail out the FBI prints the same day. They take credit card or debit card at the end of the filing, then 3-4 weeks later, they email you an approval. Dremel your name, city and state on the receiver or barrel; or have a professional engrave it and you are finished.
Sweet thx man! I disliked making an appointment and going to sheriff's office to get them. I feel like these guys because the NFA dealer I used said I had to do through sheriff's office.

Just reread the original post and IMO re modifying a brace, I would not risk it. The ATF ruling on shouldering it relies on the fact that it was designed to be a one handed support. Modifying it by removing the strap gets away from that design and IMO puts one in a grey area that I would not want to be in (or actually it may not be grey to ATF, they may simply say you modified it from its original one-handed design to one designed to be fired form the shoulder - not good). Tailhook braces are an option if you don't like the strap. Their new one is really thin. Saw one on an SP5 and it looked great. I assume the modification issue would not apply if SBR but U'd let Reno or someone chime in on SBRs.

Last Edited:

I felt that way but the restrictions about taking an SBR across state lines without "permission" turned me off. Why bother when I can take my ar pistol anywhere?
Except California :rolleyes:

I felt that way but the restrictions about taking an SBR across state lines without "permission" turned me off. Why bother when I can take my ar pistol anywhere?
Except California :rolleyes:
Only state I'd ever bring one to would probably be Washington. If I ever did this, this takes no time to fill out and is approved within a weeks time. Obviously if you live in Vancouver and go to a gun club in Oregon, or vise verse, it would be different. For folks that rarely if never take guns out of state, that isn't much of an issue. Semantics if anything.

Reno - thank you!

I was considering buying some sort of 'AR' pistol just to see what all the 'Hub Bub' was about them but reading about them reports are they are difficult to handle, not particularly accurate, loud, and kind of a range toy.

Nothing I am really interested in.
This is not necessarily the case. I have a pistol chambered in 300 Blackout with a 10 1/2" barrel. The way it handles and shoots is essentially the same as a short barreled rifle, but it is a pistol.
It is worth mentioning (though someone probably mentioned it somewhere in the thread and I just haven't read it yet), you cannot use a rifle lower ( that is one that has been used to build a rifle) to make a pistol. You can build a pistol with any new lower, but once it's used as a rifle part it is always a rifle lower. That's a good example of how arbitrary the details of the law are as they currently stand.

Eh, maybe I'll consider assembly of one.

Possibly in .300 BLK - I'm likin' the looks of this caliber! (cheap to load too!)

Good choice, not as loud as other calibers (unsuppressed) as well.

Although I'd hate to shoot near on anything indoors without ear protection (home defense in this context), .300 would be far closer to a handgun. Hearing damage wise. I'd think anyhow.

Where .223/5.56, & up calibers could likely permanently damage hearing after just a single round fired. Just IMO.

Just reread the original post and IMO re modifying a brace, I would not risk it. The ATF ruling on shouldering it relies on the fact that it was designed to be a one handed support. Modifying it by removing the strap gets away from that design and IMO puts one in a grey area that I would not want to be in (or actually it may not be grey to ATF, they may simply say you modified it from its original one-handed design to one designed to be fired form the shoulder - not good). Tailhook braces are an option if you don't like the strap. Their new one is really thin. Saw one on an SP5 and it looked great. I assume the modification issue would not apply if SBR but U'd let Reno or someone chime in on SBRs.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 140

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show