JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am a full time student in Downtown Portland and I am also a wounded Combat Vet.(Army 11B) and I spent a few years as a Federal LEO. I am always anxious about going to the city but I was extra agitated on Monday. I spent the day at school and then sat in horrific traffic on my way home. It took 2 hours to get to Keizer. I needed to decompress when I got home so I sat down and started writing. This is what I wrote and I posted it on FB to get it out in the universe.

I welcome your feedback and I would like to keep a conversation going related to my comments. I don't get much adult conversation at school and I hope I can find that here.

9/11/2017
I made it through the whole day in Portland and the only person that mentioned 9/11 was my Army Veteran Teacher. Most of the other students are too young to really remember it but mostly people just don't care. The short national attention span and fierce tribalism has caused such a divide in our country that I don't know if we can ever recover.
The threat of war from outside the USA used to unite us as a nation but it has become long in the tooth at this point. The separation of the average citizen and the Military has never been greater. Fewer Americans are serving in the Armed Forces in relation to the total population then ever before. We have been fighting an enemy that many other nations have fought against and lost. Our shear size and strength of economy has kept most of the threat out of the public eye so far. The small number of men and women risking their lives to defend the precious freedoms we enjoy are the single thread holding this colorful Christmas Sweater of a country together. The evil, radical agents of Islam are steadily embedding themselves in our country and like a cancer they are corrupting the cells of our culture. Meanwhile we are focused inward, eating ourselves to death in the form of partisan politics. Instead of coming together to solve real problems we are doubling down on the most absurd and irrational arguments like sports fans rooting for their favorite team. I am not proud of what is happening and I hope it's only superficial.
I fear that intellectual honesty is dead. It seems like common sense is a super power only wielded by a select few and when it is injected into the public eye it is batted away like an offensive spec of dust. We have so quickly forgotten the threat that is staring us in the face because there is a screen blocking the view with click bait headlines, celebrity gossip and a for profit media propagating an us vs. them agenda. With so much virtue signaling and a total disregard for critical thinking, there doesn't seem to be much hope for us to settle our disputes.
How long will it take for us to stop seeing this country as red or blue and to start realizing that it is red, white and blue. Red and blue may be separated by the white on the flag but it takes both of those primary colors to represent our great nation. I wore those colors on my shoulder in Afghanistan where I witnessed an evil person murder 2 Americans and then try to murder me in the name of his god. I fought back and I won. That is what we do, we fight for what we love and we win. I was severely wounded and I almost didn't make it. Our country has been deeply wounded by that same evil but it doesn't compare to damage we are doing to ourselves. I fought to stay alive so that I could see my children grow up, learn and be happy. I am sad and even angry that the fight I was in was the wrong one. I fight now for fragile rights that I thought were written in stone. The 5 tenants of the first amendment are being assaulted from those that seek it's protection. The right to arm and protect ourselves from all enemies is under constant attack in the name of safety. Our right to due processes and the very rule of law is being manipulated to serve the powers that be in the form of humanitarianism. Words are being redefined to suit the needs of the self proclaimed social activists in order to justify their indiscretions. Enough already.
The politicians that are supposed to represent us are now celebrities and are chosen by cult of personality instead of by what they can do to make us better. What used to be the highest office in the land has become a reality TV show. The idea of judging someone based on their actions and deeds has instead been replaced by blind party affirmation and rhetoric. We have divided ourselves into 2 opposing forces, each immovable in their resolve to be right. What can even be done to fix our attitude when so many people have chosen sides and are dug in like ticks engorged on the blood of self righteousness?
For starters people can stop relying on network comedy shows and click bait articles generated by algorithms for their sole source of news. The instinct to question everything and seek out knowledge for one's self has been on the endangered species list for too long. Put the phone down, turn off the smart TV's and start thinking for yourself. Why is it so hard to learn and grow when all of the worlds knowledge is at our fingertips? We have removed ourselves from evolution and our damned opposable thumbs and big brains are turning us into morons. I don't have any answers. I'm just a broken man trying to make the world a better place for my daughters. I might as well go piss into the wind for all the good I can do. Unless the answer is for everyone to focus on the few things they can control and treat the people around them like they want to be treated? I think there is even a rule about this... what do I know though?

Thank You for your service to our country. Well written. On 911 anniversary, this Monday
KXL radio morning news political expert Jim Moore, stated that the domestic
threat to the US is not from radical Islam but "Guns and Right Wing groups.":eek::eek::eek:
The left is destroying this country.:oops:

That right there is why I don't align with any political party, or ascribe to any "cause du jour".... True warriors THINK, and they don't blindly fight. But alas.... cowboy up and keep your kit by the door, because I fear there will be war.

From one old 11B3X to another.... well said, Brother! :s0155:

USA: Red, White, and Better Than You, Since 1776!

Last Edited:
Thank You for your service to our country. Well written. On 911 anniversary, this Monday
KXL radio morning news political expert Jim Moore, stated that the domestic
threat to the US is not from radical Islam but "Guns and Right Wing groups.":eek::eek::eek:
The left is destroying this country.:oops:

Thanks.

That there is a left and a right and not an America is the problem. We are in a full blown ideological civil war. Politics have become a religion and all of the hate and anger is causing a massive unbalance. THe biggest threat to America right now is it's own citizens.

Thank you for your service, and best of luck in your schooling. Your essay was well written and I agree 100%. I posted several things on social media, mostly because I am a former firefighter and retain close ties and relationships with the service and I 9/11 hit me pretty hard back in the day and then when another life event happened on that day 2 years later losing a friend. I feel we need to honor and remember all who were lost that day and in the following years.

My perceptions of the current 9/11 awareness mirrors yours. Less people than ever this year posted memories or honorariums about 9/11. They were fewer people "liking" my posts, or commenting and virtually all of them that did were fellow firefighters or police officers. The fire and police service is like the military, a brotherhood that once you are in you cannot leave unless it is under less than honorable circumstances.

When I had my construction business, I had stickers on the back of every vehicle we owned. " 9/11 -Never Forgotten / Never Forgiven"
" Box 8087 " " 343". They started a lot of nice conversations with fellow patriots. I saw a 9 /11 sticker on a pickup in the campground Monday and started a conversation with a retired firefighter and Marine veteran. We broke bread later that day as well.

The country soon forgets what happened, maybe because everybody was so gdamn excited about the new I Phone coming out yesterday, because that is how shallow the people are getting.

Solider Hines:

Would you mind if I copied and posted your essay to my Facebook page ? I think it is one of the best commentaries on todays world I have read. I will not identify you, since I don't even know who you are that is not hard...

That right there is why I didn't align with any political party, or ascribe to any "cause du jour".... True warriors THINK, and they don't blindly fight. But alas.... cowboy up and keep your kit by the door, because I fear there will be war.

From one old 11B3X to another.... well said, Brother! :s0155:

USA: Red, White, and Better That You, Since 1776!
Trust in G_d and keep your powder dry. It's gonna be a bumpy ride boys.

OP: thanks for your service and your concern. While you correctly identify much of the turmoil and internal decay affecting our society, I want you to know at least some of us have not, will never and are beyond yielding to those forces of Darkness you identify.

OP: thanks for your service and your concern. While you correctly identify much of the turmoil and internal decay affecting our society, I want you to know at least some of us have not, will never and are beyond yielding to those forces of Darkness you identify.

x2

Thanks for you commitment to fighting for our country. Your an example to all the youngers:
As far out nations safety. Our next attack will be by a home grown citizen here. There's to many idiots now.

Good post. I'm pretty pessimistic and feel that the country is too far gone. Once it goes on long enough to get instilled into children it is very difficult to get change. We are one step away from the perpetual fighting between Israel and Palestine. Once kids grow up with it and it is crystallized into their brains it will not change until that generation dies out. Critical thinking is dead. Everyone is taught at a young age that they are a winner even if they lost.

It gave me some hope to see the longs lines of guys with trucks and boats going to help out in Texas. But I did not see one SJW with pink hair and a random number generator for sexual identity in the pictures of people helping. They probably think boats should be banned because they are fish murdering machines.

Thank you for your service. But I believe that one of main problems is we no longer have a citizen's army and have a professional army and the percentage of the general population that have served is less than it has been in probably the last 90-100 years. It creates a divide rather than shared experience of the military and civilian cultures.

True perhaps, yet leaves out the very broad swirl of those not only respectful of the military guys, the influence spreading in the general population by some metrics is considerably greater.

When did such features as extensive gun shows regularly held, a massive & growing sales of 'gun stuff', incredible growth in gear & various supplies, inclusion of far more women in the shooting sports, regularly scheduled matches far & wide, massive design updates & new models continually marketed, etc, ever appear in more 'civvies'? I know a handful of old conscripts & draftees from earlier times, many who want little or nothing to do with any firearms, politics or shooting hobby.

I discount the effects of 'clever marketing' as being the only driver of such diverse & extensive gear now available.

There are, from what JNapolitano, JJohnson etc, recent of DHS, more numerous active groups espousing such as 'national patriotic interests' that I never heard of prior to the last 15 years.

Such as the Appleseed Project seem to have increasing interest by a certain percentage as well.

Far from just a fashion statement, where have camo availability and firearm training seminars been more prominent?

Of course these aren't substitute for actual .mil training, what could be? Yet patriotism & action involved activities continue to expand IMHO.

When nothing makes sense, consider what was said a long time ago; For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers of this dark age.

There was an old barn roof along the I-5 freeway S of Salem that proclaimed "Soldiers of the Cross armor up!!!"

Finally after passing it a couple million times in my short bus, it finally hit me what it meant.

Thanks for an outstanding post. I think you have accurately analyzed the biggest problem our country faces today. It would be nice if every politician would read it. And thanks for your service. Glad you are a survivor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top