JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Organization is a highly developed form of laziness." - Unknown

Some things I have found handy I'd like to share:

1. I keep an inventory of my reloading components in a MS Works spreadsheet file, kept updated. Some of my reasoning.

It is good (essential) to know what you have in detail. Before I started keeping a detailed inventory, when a good buy in components came up I would have to wonder "How much of that do I already have?". That would lead to an expedition into the gun room and opening up various ammo cans and storage boxes to check. Sometimes I would later find I had purchased stuff I already had ample supply of (oh yeah like that's NEVER happened to you!).

With an inventory spreadsheet I can pull it up and check in LESS THAN A MINUTE.

I have record columns for component mfgr, description, quantity, cost and misc remarks. AND LOCATION.

2. I keep a similar spreadsheet of my ammunition.

I have record columns for component mfgr, description, quantity, bullet weight, bullet shape, and misc remarks including cost, date of mfgr, date and source acquired. AND LOCATION.

3. On my spreadsheets I note WHERE a particular component or caliber is stored. What shelf, what number ammo can, etc. This alone has saved me an INCREDIBLE BUNCH of time and effort.

4. On my reloading components spreadsheet I have live calculation fields for how many rounds I can load with the components on hand, indicating my preferred load in each caliber.

Just remember 7000 grains to a pound and the rest is pretty simple.

(Pound of powder x 7000) divided by grains per round = number of rounds you can load from a pound. Easy-peasy.

Bullets, brass and primers are simple as they are one unit each (although you can reuse most brass).

THIS IS A BIGGIE. By devoting a single line to a favorite load I can calculate how much powder is needed to load all the bullets I have for that load, and confirming that I have (a) Enough primers for it and (b) Enough brass for it.

There is a remarkable peace of mind in knowing that if tomorrow Cankles gets elected, I can sit down with my reloading gear, and maybe a few friends, and load EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT into finished ammo with NOT A THING LEFT OVER or shortage. Everything comes out even.

Doing this will also let you know what to buy next to balance out your inventory.

For instance if you have 10k bullets and brass, sufficient powder but only 6K primers, (OOPS!) this spreadsheet will let you see this immediately.

And finally, spreadsheets aren't hard to learn. If you haven't used one before find a friend to Rabbi you through your first few starts. After that it's pretty simple.

Doing this has paid HUGE dividends for me in terms of saving money, efficiency, ease of use and peace of mind over 25 years.

I do not have a spreadsheet, as I have never used one and did not think I could figure it out, but I do have lists of what I have. It is fairly easy to access, either with my computer or phone. It does not calculate how many rounds I could load and that would be a plus but hard for an old dog to learn new tricks.

I put my load data into spreadsheets, just easier organizing than putting it into text files like I used to do. You don't have to invest too much effort in learning spreadsheets, to use them at this level. No formulas, etc.

I also took Art Pejsa's ballistic formulas from his books and put those into a spreadsheet as well, which is what I use for a ballistic calculator.

Components.. nah. I'm organized. Now what I do keep is this:
Capture.PNG

a spread sheet of my loads based on my components and powder on hand.

I figured out the need for this on my own some time ago. It's very helpful. I had my son show me how to do it on Excel. My data isn't quite as detailed as OP. For example, in powder supplies I approximate charges for simplicity. I load for both .30-06 and 7.62x51. They may use same bullets but charges vary between the two and from one powder to the next, etc. So if I have 4,000 .308 bullets, I just do an average of 43 grains per. So 43 x 4,000 = 172,000 ÷ 7,000 = 24.57 # of powder. Which will work out pretty close for shooting military gas guns. Sporting rifles would take a bit larger charges.

My bullet and primer inventories are pretty closely matched. My powder is pretty close on rifle types, but I'm over on pistol powder. I've found it easy enough to go over on pistol powders because they typically use such small quantities per charge. At least that is so with what I load.

Brass, not as important so long as you have enough on hand to support several loadings. Because of its recyclable nature, you don't have to have one for one with brass. Which presupposes that you are recovering a large percentage of what you fire. Personally, I have rifle and pistol brass enough to load everything on hand if it were necessary.

My preference is to leave supplies in component state for as long as possible. Partly because I already have quite a bit of finished ammo on hand. I'm not of a mind like some reloaders to work it all up into finished ammo. Plans change. If you should need to liquidate some of your assets, it's much easier to sell components than it is reloaded ammo. At least historically. Events may change that.

Does anyone have a template for an excel sheet similar to what is discrbied in this post ? Great ideas in this post but to be honest I am beyond dumb with excel.
Sure. PM me your email and I'll mail one over.
I work with Excel every day so I could even make you up one from scratch in about 5 mins.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top