JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The barrel started to rust after an hour in the rain?
Was it acid rain?

It's funny listening to people from areas that never rain. They have 3 days of rain and think the world is ending, can't go out, can't drive.

I have a boss from AZ that thought it was cold here all the time. I would be wearing shorts and a tee and he would be in jeans, jacket the get up and be freezing at 60 degrees.

The barrel started to rust after an hour in the rain?

Actually had this happen to me. M2 .50 cal machine gun started to rust right in front of me as I sat in the turret guarding a disabled convoy. The dust had accumulated on the oil and the rain washed it and the oil away and since the parkerization was very well worn to start with... :(

It would still work fine but it just amazed me I could notice the rust forming in less than an hour. Can't see the rust on the vid but it formed on the top cover. Keep a good finish and oil on your guns. Not that I was worried about resale value... :)

th_Afghanpoliceandtrafficjam.jpg

Actually had this happen to me. M2 .50 cal machine gun started to rust right in front of me as I sat in the turret guarding a disabled convoy. The dust had accumulated on the oil and the rain washed it and the oil away and since the parkerization was very well worn to start with... :(

It would still work fine but it just amazed me I could notice the rust forming in less than an hour. Can't see the rust on the vid but it formed on the top cover. Keep a good finish and oil on your guns. Not that I was worried about resale value... :)

I could see that happening being from CA. Though I always kept my equipment well lubed and clean I knew several people that didn't bother - relative humidity being in the mid-20% range it generally didn't really occur to several people I knew to regularly oil anything. I knew a guy that hadn't applied a layer to one of his blued .22 rifles for years (externally anyway) and it showed no rust. Just depends on what you're used to I suppose.

I'm not saying the calguns post isn't goofy though. Yes, people freak out when it rains. Of course they b*tch for lack of water most of the year though. Happily it doesn't matter to me anymore! :D

th_Afghanpoliceandtrafficjam.jpg

my 700ADL will rust after about an hour in the rain. bright red and orange.. it's all superficial and wipes right off. blued steel and rain dont mix.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top