Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Some stuff you just can't make up...

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Tmac, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Tmac

Tmac Sheridan, Oregon New Member

2. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The barrel started to rust after an hour in the rain?
    Was it acid rain?

It's funny listening to people from areas that never rain. They have 3 days of rain and think the world is ending, can't go out, can't drive.

I have a boss from AZ that thought it was cold here all the time. I would be wearing shorts and a tee and he would be in jeans, jacket the get up and be freezing at 60 degrees.

3. OPAWY

OPAWY NorthCentral Wyoming Member

Everythings faster in California. Even the rust I guess...

4. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Actually had this happen to me. M2 .50 cal machine gun started to rust right in front of me as I sat in the turret guarding a disabled convoy. The dust had accumulated on the oil and the rain washed it and the oil away and since the parkerization was very well worn to start with... :(

It would still work fine but it just amazed me I could notice the rust forming in less than an hour. Can't see the rust on the vid but it formed on the top cover. Keep a good finish and oil on your guns. Not that I was worried about resale value... :)
    th_Afghanpoliceandtrafficjam.jpg

5. BigDave

BigDave Portland Member

That is just funny!

6. tallshipsgo

tallshipsgo Springfield OR Well-Known Member

I could see that happening being from CA. Though I always kept my equipment well lubed and clean I knew several people that didn't bother - relative humidity being in the mid-20% range it generally didn't really occur to several people I knew to regularly oil anything. I knew a guy that hadn't applied a layer to one of his blued .22 rifles for years (externally anyway) and it showed no rust. Just depends on what you're used to I suppose.

I'm not saying the calguns post isn't goofy though. Yes, people freak out when it rains. Of course they b*tch for lack of water most of the year though. Happily it doesn't matter to me anymore! :D

7. branchbuster

branchbuster Albany Active Member

Should do a thread about what to do when hunting in the dry! It is such a rarity around here.

8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

my 700ADL will rust after about an hour in the rain. bright red and orange.. it's all superficial and wipes right off. blued steel and rain dont mix.