JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been trying to sell a pistol recently. One person just replied with this email

[QUOTE\] Thank you for the reply, I hope its really in good condition?I am a
reseller, I buy my goods here in the States and sell them abroad or
within the States .. I will be paying through a certified check and
will have my shipper come for pick up.I will need your name and
physical address(mailing address) so the payment can be sent to you,
after you have received and confirmed the funds my shipper will come
for pick up so you don't have to worry about shipping....Where is its
present location so my shipper can start making arrangements ??
Expecting a reply[/QUOTE]

Is this some sort of scam? I haven't traded/sold many firearms so I'm short on experience here. Anyway I more or less told him to take a hike. Let me know what you guys think or if you've had similar experiences.

Erik

So I've been trying to sell a pistol recently. One person just replied with this email

Thank you for the reply, I hope its really in good condition?I am a
reseller, I buy my goods here in the States and sell them abroad or
within the States .. I will be paying through a certified check and
will have my shipper come for pick up.I will need your name and
physical address(mailing address) so the payment can be sent to you,
after you have received and confirmed the funds my shipper will come
for pick up so you don't have to worry about shipping....Where is its
present location so my shipper can start making arrangements ??
Expecting a reply

Is this some sort of scam? I haven't traded/sold many firearms so I'm short on experience here. Anyway I more or less told him to take a hike. Let me know what you guys think or if you've had similar experiences.

Erik

Classic Nigerian check scam.

They will send a check for thousands over you asking amount and then ask you to deposit it and wire the rest back to them via Western Union.

I have more than one house so I always have them mail the (fake) check to my other house, the reason is they will send it overnight express from Africa which costs a bundle of cash.:D

There is a group of people dedicated to turning the tables on these scammers.

http://www.419baiter.com/

sounds like someone out to smuggle guns into mexico

you need an export/import license take guns "legally" out of the country for an individual.

also unless youre going to do a FTF, it would need to go thru an FFL.

I have not seen this type of thing on NWFA before but I have seen it on craigslist. It is a scam. Just hold on to the gun, there are plenty of local buyers around here.

I have over 25,000 dollars worth of bad checks...Some look pretty convincing...
I love following through up until I get the check and I just tell them I'm waiting for funds to clear , Most of them get pushy like time is of the essence can we please move on, As soon as I tell them no, The bank is processing the E-Mails usually stop...

Heads up,

This appears to be a scam on at least a couple of fronts;

1. Identity Theft- Should you comply with their directions, they will have your physical address and your bank and possible routing info (when you deposit or cash the check) they may even wish to accompany you to your bank to cash the check in person thereby acquiring your info (also remember, cashiers checks can be canceled and until YOUR bank receives payment in full, you're responsible for the transaction. In other words, you watch your weapon go bye-bye, check is canceled and..... they have all your information to steal your identity or nearly as worrisome, come back to rob you of your others possessions as they now know you have them!

2. The way the info is written it sounds very suspiciously like someone "foreign" trying to buy guns. IF their legitimate, whey wouldn't send someone to pick up the weapon when it's cheaper to ship it unless the "bad guy" wants immediate possession and doesn't want to mess with federal postal laws (shipping firearms for legitimate purposes is legal, for illegal purposes it's a federal crime with Postal Inspectors and FBI involved, they don't want that!

Just Beware (I personally would slam that door immediately!!!!!!!!!)

Heads up,

This appears to be a scam on at least a couple of fronts;

1. Identity Theft- Should you comply with their directions, they will have your physical address and your bank and possible routing info (when you deposit or cash the check) they may even wish to accompany you to your bank to cash the check in person thereby acquiring your info (also remember, cashiers checks can be canceled and until YOUR bank receives payment in full, you're responsible for the transaction. In other words, you watch your weapon go bye-bye, check is canceled and..... they have all your information to steal your identity or nearly as worrisome, come back to rob you of your others possessions as they now know you have them!

2. The way the info is written it sounds very suspiciously like someone "foreign" trying to buy guns. IF their legitimate, whey wouldn't send someone to pick up the weapon when it's cheaper to ship it unless the "bad guy" wants immediate possession and doesn't want to mess with federal postal laws (shipping firearms for legitimate purposes is legal, for illegal purposes it's a federal crime with Postal Inspectors and FBI involved, they don't want that!

Just Beware (I personally would slam that door immediately!!!!!!!!!)

Trust me this isn't about guns, these scams never mention the item because they are form letters designed to be vague so as to be sent for any item for sale, never in this process will they ever be concerned with taking possession of the item just the Western Union payment

No this didn't take place on NWFA. And I would never post a firearm on craigslist:s0154:. That is against the rules;) Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think I'll be doing any business with Abu, or Nambi or whatever his name is:s0112: I was just surprised to get that kind of a response. After rereading it, it is a generic form letter. No specifics about the item for sale. Mostly just a hurry up and give us the item.

This has been going on for years on CL. never heard of them trying to buy anything though. The standard, is a high end car, boat, or m/c for a to good to be true price. Fun to play with them, but don't go to far.

I receive at least 5 OF these offers for every rental ad I post on CL , Backpage, or the Oregonian's online site.
It is a scam.. If you are upset, sorry.
If you want to waste time, set up a mail box in an exchange locally.
Have them forward the cashiers check to the box.
Deposit it to a "special account" with your 2nd or 3rd company bank, let it clear and settle for at least 3 weeks.
Once all the fuzz, and dust clears allow the person to come in person to pick it up..
When he gets upset and wants his shipper to come, have him meet you at your local FFL and do the paper work at his additional expense.
Once at the FFl's if it transfers, it out of your hands, You have cleared, real money, and all is good... Chances are that you will never get to 2nd base. Of all the years, some 38 now, and 15+with internet rentals, I have never received the check.
NO EXCESS FUNDS RETURNED.. ALSO..
DO NOT PAY TO HAVE ANY ONE DELIVERY IT TO YOU, -ANOTHER SCAM ALSO.. . THIS IS ONLY IF YOU HAVE FREE TIME AND THE ENERGY to spend. Europeans do this often on rentals.
Good Luck and someone will make you an offer.

Typically seen from CL postings, I get them from time to time.

I had a Darwin statue, probably worth $30 max, asking 10 or 15 for it and someone actually tried pulling this. What a waste of time. Usually the spelling and grammar is that of a 3 year old.

Typically seen from CL postings, I get them from time to time.

I had a Darwin statue, probably worth $30 max, asking 10 or 15 for it and someone actually tried pulling this. What a waste of time. Usually the spelling and grammar is that of a 3 year old.

That does seem like a waste of effort on their part for an item worth a few bucks. People must fall for these scams frequently enough to make it worth their time.

P.S. Dragonsden, after a few months on this site and seeing your posts I finally figured out what that conglomeration of punctuations and letters is on your signature. Very nice:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top