JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There has been a serious survey and study to measure the number and types of firearms and ownership done and published. Having known Clayton Cramer for decades, I can vouch for his reliability:
Details here

In short: lots of defensive gun use including where it happens. Solid numbers on how many handguns, rifles, ARs, magazines, etc. including ownership by sex, race, and more.

Interesting. I'll give that a good read through.

I wonder if there is research on who fills out surveys when presented with one. On any survey, there will be a certain number of folks who don't respond to the survey no matter what it is. Then there will be those who don't want anyone knowing about their firearm arsenal and don't respond to a survey like this one. Then there will be those who might not even read and lie on the survey just to get it done with and appease the people who asked them to do it.

That said, the results listed in the Abstract section do pass a sanity check.

. . . . I wonder if there is research on who fills out surveys when presented with one. On any survey, there will be a certain number of folks who don't respond to the survey no matter what it is. Then there will be those who don't want anyone knowing about their firearm arsenal and don't respond to a survey like this one. Then there will be those who might not even read and lie on the survey just to get it done with and appease the people who asked them to do it. . . .
The survey's described methodology actually addresses issues such as those you mention, and some details of how the data was handled to to minimize adverse impact of those issues on the survey results.

The entire survey (not just the abstract) was an interesting read. Also, it was short enough to avoid being a "snore", so I'd seriously recommend a full-read rather than just savoring the summation presented by the abstract.

The relatively large size of the sampling is significant: "approximately fifty-four thousand U.S. residents aged 18 and over", which included 16,708 self-identified gun owners who were then presented with follow-on questions pertaining to several important aspects of gun ownership. Those questions are listed at the end of the report.

It seems like all you can see is the summary unless you register an account? View and download leads to signup.

The survey's described methodology actually addresses issues such as those you mention, and some details of how the data was handled to to minimize adverse impact of those issues on the survey results.
I dunno. How can they address issues like that when they have absolutely no idea how their survey may be impacted, or by what degree, wth information that they can not know?

I guess I usually look at surveys like that as... well, it's a valiant effort but it's maybe/probably "at least" that, but likely a whole lot more... and could be a whole lot different breakdown than what is represented. :s0155:

A morbid question. Some time ago I was searching to find roughly how many homeless people were dying on the streets. This was a while back but I recall about 300 a year in Oregon. I could be wildly off because there wasn't a solo source.

Point is, seems like the county morg or whatever it is referred to now, should publish accurate numbers. We pay for it and we should have facts on what's really killing us.

Unless you factor in spouses I know a few couples where the wife does not own any firearms yet has the same support for the second as the one who owns the firearms.
Plus they listed the percentage of people willing to tell a stranger that they own a gun. I don't know what percentage of people who own a gun are willing to take a survey.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top