JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Spokane family escapes Eagle Creek fire, 'will never again be unprepared for a hike'

"I'll never again set out on a trail without a few essential things in a pack," Midtlyng digressed during the interview. "I'm heading out to the store to buy a few supplies today. I learned my lesson."

The hard way.

Without headlamps, many of the hikers used cell phones to help illuminate the trail as they crossed creeks and bridges and traversed precipitous slopes.

The only hiker near the Midtlyng group who was equipped for being on the trail overnight was a young woman from Washington, D.C., who'd trekked the short trail to the falls with day pack loaded with essentials.

"She was an Asian gal named Emily, just six years in the country, and she'd read the book 'Wild' and knew all the things to bring on a hike," Midtlyng said. "She had a headlamp, food, shelter and water purifier and was so helpful to a lot of people, helping them get safe water to drink."

Sometimes education can be costly or even deadly.

I am glad they learned without injury or death.

I think others are learning a little about being prepared to bug out too. Some will shrug it off and not learn anything.

It would be interesting to interview those 143 people and see how many learned to be more prepared and how many did not.

I am glad they learned without injury or death.

I think others are learning a little about being prepared to bug out too. Some will shrug it off and not learn anything.

It would be interesting to interview those 143 people and see how many learned to be more prepared and how many did not.

That would be an interesting interview. I would love to see the media or even a alternate source do something like this. My guess is that only about 50% learned something. The other half still thinks that someone will save them. :confused:

TERRIFYING!!!

Now, that was some scary business! Impromptu life lessons are the ones most likely to be remembered. I know, I was quite a knot head in my youth. Seems the males in our clan need a good dose of misery or pain to get through to us!
I'm so glad that all of the 147 and they're rescuers made it out alive!

BTW, I'd like to diverge for a moment here to call for the immediate field dressing of the 15yr old idiot, and his buddies that threw the smoke bomb into the ravine, and their bodies dropped into the fire to appease the forest gods! :cool:

BTW, I'd like to diverge for a moment here to call for the immediate field dressing of the 15yr old idiot, and his buddies that threw the smoke bomb into the ravine, and their bodies dropped into the fire to appease the forest gods! :cool:

A more likely and more productive remedy would be to sentence them to replant each and every tree that was burned up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top