JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen a few disturbing trends in only a few or small amount of new members. Word of mouth about this site is great, brings in new good guys to build the site, more possibilities for gun sales and trades locally, and even educate those that are new to the hobby or to gun laws. I know shooting guns and hunting since 12 did not make me a professional at all regarding laws, rights, certain types of guns and such. But a few I have seen come here with tons of excitement that looks great in the beginning, but then youth and insecurity sets in and lies, false hopes, and just plain old dreaming visions come out. I am not going to say names. It only takes a few post if you look back at their preveious ones to see trends. I'll admit, I get a bit heated on certain topics, and it is hard for me to see other points of view when I believe I am right or because of the way I was raised. Well, growing up and starting a family soon, pulls me aside and makes me shake my head and say, well, that was not right to say, or ok, he has a point, or even, I was wrong, and the last, we have different opinions and that is great. really, it is. And I have to step back and reread things and look at things a different way.
So I see people talking about things that become more evident of falsifing the truth, exagerated stories. Giving or seconding critical information about specs or proven facts when they have zero knowledge of it at all. The newest thing is coming on to a site like this with a secondary persona, or to take it a step even more, letting others on the site you are honestly, truthfully interested in purchases of a item for extreme need and measures, yet lack in the simplicity of conducting a two-way communication, and then changing their entire focus or name brand of that item even when they a few days earlier had never heard of that company, let alone what a main part on that gun is, the laws of ownership, and then having to wait for funds to arrive, yet again then to double the price of a item now they need, yet couldn't tell you where the bolt goes in the gun?

Is this a new type of online game, or role playing thing kids are doing now days. Lots of great new members, just a few that think we are all idiots.

So I see people talking about things that become more evident of falsifing the truth, exagerated stories. Giving or seconding critical information about specs or proven facts when they have zero knowledge of it at all.

Welcome to the internet.

Yes, gun forums have changed considerably in the past ten years.

i have noticed that there's some members that got a lot of nerve. i dont know if they speak to people the same way outside this forum. im opinionated myself, but i try to be civil and respectful when offering my thoughts and opinions on a subject. there are a lot of cool guys here with good knowledge, but i've been reading a lot of uncool responses to other peoples opinions. doesn't matter if it was a good or insightful point. if it contradicts what they think, they fire back with rude insults or snide remarks. there is a hi point thread where a lot of hi-point lovers are getting angry at the opinions of hi-point nay sayers. its only peoples' opinions guys... lighten up!

Welcome to the internet.

On a forum such as this, requesting a cite from the poster claiming wild, false, or exaggerated claims is a good thing. There are a few other forums I browse, and if you post something that doesn't sound right, you'll get 10 guys requesting a cite of where you found the information/law/ordinance/etc.

We all can do that here. ;)

You would be surprised how many times I have kept my mouth SHUT..

Oh sure I have typed a reply but have not posted. There is a thread going right now that I did just that..

Being on other forums (mostly motorcycle), it is very interesting to see the disconnect between people on line and in person. Most are themselves in both places, but occasionally there are folks who change into internet bullies and worse. As 74Sporty says, it's only people's opinions so don't take anything too seriously. That said, it's hard to do that sometimes, and we all get caught up with certain issues. It's then best to remember, "It's only the internet".

Best wishes to all!

I agree with you gents and I'm glad I'm not the only one. People seem to have a different persona in public than online and they abuse the anonymity here. I'm almost ashamed to be part of the younger generation (I'm 24).

I do the exact same thing as pokerace. A few times I've typed up a reply hoping to straighten things out and put the thread back on track only to delete it because I can't be bothered and I know it wouldn't be appreciated.

For the OP: My father always said "get off the computer and go live life. Reality, that's the ultimate 'video game.'"

Take it easy good sirs, I'm off to play with lasers (seriously).

I like it when somebody puts an add up that they state total lies and when you call them on it we are warned for crapping on a post. If your post is not factual should we not police our forum? I for one dont like thief's and lairs . On another note I found it funny when I ran my spell check and I had misspelled lairs and my first option to fix it was lawyers.

I like it when somebody puts an add up that they state total lies and when you call them on it we are warned for crapping on a post. If your post is not factual should we not police our forum? I for one dont like thief's and lairs . On another note I found it funny when I ran my spell check and I had misspelled lairs and my first option to fix it was lawyers.

there are times when i wanna do nothing but crap on someones thread because there is so much bs on it.

liars and lawyers... i like that one

Welcome to the internet.

Yes, gun forums have changed considerably in the past ten years.

Actually this board has always been kind of weird compared to other boards, when i first checked this board out i thought it was kind of creepy. I think its a Northwest thing.

The great northwest land of the tree huggers , lumberjacks and Ambidextrous Extremist .

but after staying around for a while i found it was only a small hand full of morons stinking up the place. the other 95% are good people.

I'm somewhat new to this forum, and I'm shocked at the crap that goes on here. Everyone believes that their opinion is gospel, and they call everyone that disagrees stupid. Add in the hate for police, the fear mongering, and a bit of bigotry, and I often wonder why I read this board. I will take this opportunity to apologize for getting caught up in a few of these arguments, and for one post I made that went along with calling a product gay (it was meant to continue to poke fun at the product, but may have offended a prominent member here).

I'm somewhat new to this forum, and I'm shocked at the crap that goes on here. Everyone believes that their opinion is gospel, and they call everyone that disagrees stupid. Add in the hate for police, the fear mongering, and a bit of bigotry, and I often wonder why I read this board. I will take this opportunity to apologize for getting caught up in a few of these arguments, and for one post I made that went along with calling a product gay (it was meant to continue to poke fun at the product, but may have offended a prominent member here).

You're only shocked by the "Crap" that goes on here Beefcake because of another site you hang out at that is so sterile any more. I love the way this site moves along, people are different, WAY different. Here a person makes an ignorant post and one, maybe two people will correct them then the thread goes back to discussion of the original topic. In my opinion maturity and self control rule for the most part here, and people recognize and accept, and move on when differences are encountered. I don't see a pile-on attitude here often. Maybe I'm not reading the right forums here at NWFA? I don't mind a good wreck once in a while either.

And, it's your fault I'm here Mr. Cake. Thankyou!

Mike

"and for one post I made that went along with calling a product gay (it was meant to continue to poke fun at the product, but may have offended a prominent member here)"

As long as its a joke, what's the big deal? As a sailor, there's nothing taboo in my workplace, and we poke fun at each other mercilessly about anything under the sun. We may be a bit crude about it. I'm pretty thick skinned, but if I get offended, I deal with it on my own rather than crying about hurt feelings. I'm not sure when people decided that it says somewhere in the Constitution that one has a right not to be offended, but it's getting old. If its a joke, let it go. If its a malicious statement about you or something you hold dear, by all means, say something. OK, I'll give the soapbox a rest.

"and for one post I made that went along with calling a product gay (it was meant to continue to poke fun at the product, but may have offended a prominent member here)"

As long as its a joke, what's the big deal? As a sailor, there's nothing taboo in my workplace, and we poke fun at each other mercilessly about anything under the sun. We may be a bit crude about it. I'm pretty thick skinned, but if I get offended, I deal with it on my own rather than crying about hurt feelings. I'm not sure when people decided that it says somewhere in the Constitution that one has a right not to be offended, but it's getting old. If its a joke, let it go. If its a malicious statement about you or something you hold dear, by all means, say something. OK, I'll give the soapbox a rest.
I pretty much agree. However, based on a ton of "sensitivity training" that I've taken over the past few years, I'm trying to break myself of saying things that might hurt someone - in public at least. I remember a time when it was normal to call your friends gay or mentally-challenged (the word we used to use magically becomes "bubblegummed" when I hit post) or to make an occasional racist comment; none of it was meant in hate, but I am turning over a new leaf in trying to be more PC in my humor, especially on public forums.

Mike- You're absolutely right; the other forums that I belong to are overly moderated. It just seems that many responses here are more venomous than is necessary to make a point. I'm always happy to read and consider others opinions; my point was that I have trouble with the "everyone that disagrees is stupid" mantra. Oh, and welcome to NWFA!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top