JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You should definitely tie one of those for me! I was also thinking that if the problem is that it eats ducklings, what better to imitate!
Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking i'll have to get some river worthy kayaks after I settle in. I'll probably take the canoe or inflatable kayak out.
Crappie is probably my favorite fish to chase, just something about the constant bite and fishing structure that entertains me.

You should definitely tie one of those for me! I was also thinking that if the problem is that it eats ducklings, what better to imitate!
Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking i'll have to get some river worthy kayaks after I settle in. I'll probably take the canoe or inflatable kayak out.
Crappie is probably my favorite fish to chase, just something about the constant bite and fishing structure that entertains me.

They're not too shabby on the dinner plate either. If they regularly reached sizes here that they do back in the midwest, or down south, I'd keep more fish. My personal rule is if it's under 10", it's gotta go back. I hate cleaning fish. I like eating fish, but I hate cleaning fish. So bigger fish that I have to clean fewer of is always more better-er.

Kayaking the Nehalem near Vernowhere looks like it'd be fun. Long stretches of slower water interspersed with just enough faster stuff to make it interesting. I think I would opt for a sit-on-top variety. I always figure I'd be the poor bastard to get stuck in one of the sit-in varieties and drown rolling it over and not being able to right it. Probably an unfounded fear, but much like my fear of rattle snakes, excessive heights (or rather, falling from excessive heights) and being groped by Rosie O'Donnell - it's kept me alive.

I think this spring will see a canoe added to our inventory of toys. Wifey's discount makes it more palatable springing for one again. And she says a house comes before a boat - which I agree. I've got no where to store a big boat, and need to get the truck I want to pull a boat first. Sometimes women are reasonable. :D I'm already easing her into the new truck idea. Holding off till spring on that - need to file business taxes then personal taxes to see how badly we get wacked, or if by some miracle the Gov realizes I've paid far more than I need to and grudgingly gives some back. Really wish Congress could've made the new tax law retroactive.

Soon as get a new canoe though, I think Vernonia Lake will be on the short list of places we'll be spending time. That and Lake Lytle over new Barview. I've only fished Lytle from the bank and fishing dock, but I understand it fishes very well sometimes for bass, which don't seem to hang around the fishing dock, which is about the best non-boat access you can get. It is one of those places though that's great for kids and newbies because the yellow perch are voracious, and numerous. Can always count on getting the kiddo into fish when we go out there.

I like smallmouth more than large mouth, don't know why! Crappie are second only to big gills in the pan, but I only keep 1lb and up gills and only if there are a bunch of them. Needless to say I don't catch many of those here. The best sized bass are about 14" or so, they get weird much bigger than that.

Yeah, I plan to opt for an open top, as I share that fear and might want the casting platform. Canoes are my favorite so I might go with one designed more for rivers. I have an 18' Kahneta, with a wide bottom. It's will go on rivers, but I could probably find a better option.
I'm thinking a Spey or switch rod may be in order for my return this time.

My father preaches Lytle, and my brother has caught 2lb bass from the down. I should really say from under the dock tho. Fish the west shore from a boat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top