Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Some good news! Maybe a new revolver.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jan 28, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have been really busy bouncing back and forth between lawyers the past few days. Adoption attorney, business attorney, and personal attorney. I have hardly even had time to check the forums.

The good news is, one of the bills is substantially lower then we has anticipated so i will have some rare extra spending cash.

I am torn about what to get. I have been buying mostly semi-autos lately and the revolver bug is starting to bite pretty hard. I think I have narrowed it down to one of two revolvers. The S&W m629 Carry Comp or the S&W m627 Performance Center 8-shot. The m629 is a big ol' ,44mag but the m627 would give me 8 rounds of .357mag...which ain't shabby.

I am also just considering saving for a bit longer and getting a Kimber Pro TLE/RL II in stainless. It would probably not end up being any use to me though since I have other 1911's whereas I would actually use one of the revolvers as a hiking/camping gun.

Opinions?

S&W m629 Carry Comp
    584043819_VggCh-XL.jpg

S&W m627 Performance Center 8-Shot
    000_0895.jpg

Kimber Pro TLE RL II
    Kimber%20Stainless%20PRO%20TLE%20RL%20II%2013.jpg

2. Dennis316

Dennis316 Seattle Member

nothing like a large caliber revolver! BUT .44 mag ammo is expensive so if you arent going to be shooting it much, go for the .44

357 and 45acp ammo costs about the same.

if i were you i would get a S&W 460 magnum, they come in lots of barrel lengths and can shoot .460 magnum for those pesky grizzly bears, 454 casull for slightly smaller grizzly bears, or plain old .45LC for black bears

the way i see it, if you end up with the kimber youll love it but you wont ever cure the revolver bug unless you actually get yourself a revolver

3. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

An old timer and revolver afficionado on the StoppingPower.net forum just got the m627 Performance Center model. It's interesting in that he says it has the finest trigger of ANY revolver he has ever tried. From him that is BIG praise!..............................elsullo

4. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Both those wheelguns are beautiful! I'd go with the 44 first, then the 357 after the next go-round with the lawyers.

5. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

:bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh:

Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify the purchase........................:thumbup:

6. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Thats what I was thinking also:laugh: But if it were me the Carry Comp looks really nice. Good luck with the purchase.

7. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

you can always shoot .44spl in the 44 mag and save a few bucks. If you reload then they all cost about the same. depending on powder charge and which slugs you choose.

I pack a Bulldog Pug in .44spl. and it's a blast to shoot (with hearing protection of course LOL)

8. PlayboyPenguin

Are you suggesting that I am so far gone in my addiction that I would resort to self delusion to justify an unnecessary indulgence? I have never been so offended. In fact you have made me so upset I will now be forced to run out and buy some ammo. I hope you are happy now. ;)

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

.44 shmorty-four.
    .357 shme-fifty seven.

C'mon Playboy. How many .357, .44 and 1911s have you owned?

Isn't it time you stepped up and bought yourself the Friggin' King?

500 S&W Magnum. Just do it. You'll giggle like a little school girl every time you pull the trigger. Can't think of any other gun that can give the experience of the 500.

10. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Both revolvers have two fingers around the grip with the pinkie under. You can shoot the first shot well, but it is a little harder to control the recoil and bring the sights back on target for successive shots. For that reason I like the 627 and you can use .38 Special or .38 Special +P. Two more rounds in the revolver, handy when you need them.

11. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

OMG!!!..........That is hawt!!!

12. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

+1

13. SCTSQRL

SCTSQRL Peoples Republic of Eugene Member

+2, that is exceedingly hot. Does this mean you have a line on a local carrier, Playboy?

14. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, there is no cure! :bluelaugh:

15. packed

packed Molalla Member

Which one has a better resale value? :D

16. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

:funnypoint::funnypoint::funnypoint:

:thumbup:

17. PlayboyPenguin

Oh, har-dee-har-har...you're a regular Jackie Mason. :)

18. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Well, if its between the two guns actually pictured, then it would come down to two things for me. First, more importantly, there is no lock on the 627. Second, the cylinder on the 627 is unfluted, and that's just sexy...

19. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

I just picked up a blued model 29 built in 1980 and is shoots GREAT!!!! Going to use it for walks out in the woods, seen some cat tracks and I know we have bear in this area and the .357 / .45acp appears a bit marginal for those two critters. 300 gr solid should do the trick, don't ya think? =';'=

20. packed

packed Molalla Member

On a more serious note, my vote is the 629. That is a beauty!