JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While reinstalling a new scope on my 'old' .243 Santa Barbara 98 Mauser I stripped out one of the screw holes on one of the upper rings!

I'm not complaining actually as this rifle has had several scope swaps over it's 40 year career and the typical 98 rings have blind holes with shallow threads and stripping is almost inevitable if removed and reinstalled many times.

I thought of a couple repair ideas but I think it's time for a more modern two piece Weaver style mount with crosslock rings!
IMG_2142.JPG

Stripped threads are common, even scopes that have held tight for years may be hiding threads stressed to the limits making removal and replacement impossible. More than one used thing I bought frustrated me as many did not bother with torque devices. Including myself. I personally stripped and snapped off a lot over several decades, especially on aluminum items or smaller hardware till I finally conceded my arm was not the precision tool I thought it was. I was nearly thirty by that time, with an ironic expertise on how to fix such things, including broken screw and tap removal. I had a Honda motorcycle that had every threaded hole replaced with a Helicoil thread device, even the 15mm sizes and spark plug holes!
Proper torquing, stress neither the work or the hardware allowing many removals and replacements without worry of such things.
Much wiser, most stripped stuff I come across now are from the past or others.
I lament it took so many years to accept the facts.

Yea, I knew it was going to happen someday.

The shallow, 'blind' holes in the upper rings don't have much depth or threads so ya can't get much torque on them.

Like I say they lasted 40 years so no complaints!

I hate those range I had the same and happen to me but I didn't know it at the time . I was deer hunting and a shot at a deer and it didn't fall down then I noticed I had a problem with the Scop Mount.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews