JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lately, I got into working on leather. I had never worked any leather before, but last couple of weeks I was self-learning. Here are few custom accessories (material is cowhide) that came out reasonable good. First couple of things that I made did not look good, so I threw them away. I made a belt, knife holder, attachable ammo belt, stock jacket and lever padding. The stock jacket for my Henry was made from leather that I got from old women boots. Any advice of how to improve would be appreciated. For example, any suggestions for good treads? I used waxed hemp treads (I think they are hemp, but not 100% certain) and they seem to hold great.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

Leather#1.jpg Leather#2.jpg Leather#3.jpg Leather#4.jpg

Now that is cool!
I am in awe of people with the "crafting gene".
My wife comes from a strong genetic stock of crafters.
Me - not so much.:confused:
Nice work.
(And nice Henry.)

Lately, I got into working on leather. I had never worked any leather before, but last couple of weeks I was self-learning. Here are few custom accessories (material is cowhide) that came out reasonable good. First couple of things that I made did not look good, so I threw them away. I made a belt, knife holder, attachable ammo belt, stock jacket and lever padding. The stock jacket for my Henry was made from leather that I got from old women boots. Any advice of how to improve would be appreciated. For example, any suggestions for good treads? I used waxed hemp treads (I think they are hemp, but not 100% certain) and they seem to hold great.

Cheers,

Dan from Seattle

View attachment 777201 View attachment 777202 View attachment 777203 View attachment 777204
As a leather crafter you may have found yourself a new preoccupation.
Good work I'd say. I would have liked to see the boots the gunbelt was made from. I have collected or rather saved my old boots & other good leather items for some future projects as well but at this point I'm still collecting/saving. You have stirred my creative genes however stirring is still a long way from doing. Did you make the brown leather sling? Am I correct presuming you stitched by hand, correct? Is the belt 2 pcs? did you glue first?
Did you use one of those "push/pull" stitcher tools? I have one & can't seem
to get it to work for me. These days my hands/fingers have to many issues to do much of anything except drop things.
Good work neighbor!

As a leather crafter you may have found yourself a new preoccupation.
Good work I'd say. I would have liked to see the boots the gunbelt was made from. I have collected or rather saved my old boots & other good leather items for some future projects as well but at this point I'm still collecting/saving. You have stirred my creative genes however stirring is still a long way from doing. Did you make the brown leather sling? Am I correct presuming you stitched by hand, correct? Is the belt 2 pcs? did you glue first?
Did you use one of those "push/pull" stitcher tools? I have one & can't seem
to get it to work for me. These days my hands/fingers have to many issues to do much of anything except drop things.
Good work neighbor!
Thank you very much for your reply. Since leather is expensive to buy, I go to Goodwill around Seattle and buy cheap leather boots, bags and similar leather items. No, I did not make that sling. I purchased it from a maker in Montana soon after I purchased my Henry rifle. I use a rotary leather punch to make holes and then I stich it by hands. Yes, the belt is two layers and no glue was used. Stiches are holding it very strongly.
I finished last night another ammo belt and will post some pictures of it later this evening. Since I can't travel much because of this COVID situation, so I got some free time to work on leather. Weather is not anymore good for hiking and backpacking, so I have nothing better to do.

I use the faux sinew (available in several colors) for most of my leather-working. On the cartridge belt where you have the crossed stitches on the edge, I'll point out that there's some risk of wearing through the stitching at some point in the future (although it would take quite a bit to get there). You might consider saddle stitching through the same holes in parallel with the edge, just for reinforcement in case your original stitching ever wears through.

I use the faux sinew (available in several colors) for most of my leather-working. On the cartridge belt where you have the crossed stitches on the edge, I'll point out that there's some risk of wearing through the stitching at some point in the future (although it would take quite a bit to get there). You might consider saddle stitching through the same holes in parallel with the edge, just for reinforcement in case your original stitching ever wears through.
Thank you very much for your advice.

Here I made another ammo belt that holds 10 rounds. This one is perfect fit for 45-70 Gov. cartridges, and it also perfectly fits on a belt and stays firm. Now I am making a leather pouch to hold a box of 45-70 Gov. ammo and will post some pictures when I am done making it.

Leather#5.jpg Leather#6.jpg Leather#7.jpg Leather#8.jpg Leather#9.jpg

Here is a stock jacket that I made for my Henry. I placed ammo loops on both sides (2 x 5 45-70 Gov. cartridges), but I think I will make another one without any ammo loops. The rifle is too heavy with ammo on its stock.

StockJacket#1.jpg StockJacket#2.jpg StockJacket#3.jpg StockJacket#4.jpg StockJacket#5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top