JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
(NEW YORK) — This month's slaughter inside a small Texas church has compelled the church's pastor to carry a gun, but some fellow clergy are already armed with the goal of protecting their congregants.

"Churches are more vulnerable than ever before," pastor Joe Worley of First Baptist Church in Groves, Texas, said.

His congregation is about three hours east of Sutherland Springs, where Devin Kelley allegedly blasted his way into a church Nov. 5 with a high-powered rifle, killing 26 people and wounding 20.

While Worley, 56, puts his "trust in the lord," he's shaken by such mass shootings, the clergyman said.

"You think that it will never happen but we need to be careful, as Christians, not to be naive," he said.

There have been other recent attack on churches.

A gunman shot and killed one person and injured seven others with gunfire at the Burnette Chapel of Christ in Antioch, Tennessee, on Sept. 24.

Two years ago, Dylann Roof apparently spurred by white nationalist views, killed nine people who were meeting for a bible study at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

Continue Reading: <broken link removed>

Last Edited:
We already know aboot the three S's... Shoot/Shovel/Shut up.
Regarding church I would imagine it's the three P's.. Pray/Pack/Protect, not necessarily in that order.

A church goer with a CHL should carefully weigh the option(s) of staying masked or unmasking himself (or herself) to the other "defenders" in the church.

Let me explain; if there is a way to fully trust all the other (would be) defenders, then sure; consider unmasking and let all or some of them know.

If you cannot know everyone and therefore cannot trust all the other defenders, it might be best to stay masked.

Some CHL holders who cannot know everyone....choose to only let their spouses and/or adult family members know...

A church goer with a CHL should carefully weigh the option(s) of staying masked or unmasking himself (or herself) to the other "defenders" in the church.

Let me explain; if there is a way to fully trust all the other (would be) defenders, then sure; consider unmasking and let all or some of them know.

If you cannot know everyone and therefore cannot trust all the other defenders, it might be best to stay masked.

Some CHL holders who cannot know everyone....choose to only let their spouses and/or adult family members know...

In our last church, the only folks that knew I carried were current/former LE's and current/former military. I am very careful who I share that information with - I agree, it's best kept concealed - for the most part, no one else needs to know.

Agreed. On the other hand, only people that are known to CC and willing to be included in the security plan will be assigned a designated location each Sunday, have church issued communication device, and be privy to the plan and the training that goes with it. Head of security is a retired deputy. All but one person is a veteran.

I carefully weighed the options and decided that most everyone is untrustworthy and bat guano crazy.
Most are simple sheep (deluded) Only a couple warriors, many wolves in sheep jackets.
All get born, live, all die.
What matters to me is the middle and the end. What I do now is sniff flowers, train, and carry concealed.
Should I un-holster, I expect to die. If I dodge the bullet, I expect to reduce an issue. More training.
Signed up for Gunfighter Pistol, 2018-09-07, DRRC Eagle Creek Oregon

I carefully weighed the options and decided that most everyone is untrustworthy and bat guano crazy.
Most are simple sheep (deluded) Only a couple warriors, many wolves in sheep jackets.
All get born, live, all die.
What matters to me is the middle and the end. What I do now is sniff flowers, train, and carry concealed.
Should I un-holster, I expect to die. If I dodge the bullet, I expect to reduce an issue. More training.
Signed up for Gunfighter Pistol, 2018-09-07, DRRC Eagle Creek Oregon

Agree

People who grow up and stay in the same town/city/church all their lives have somewhat of an advantage in regards to knowing who the "regulars" are, who the "visitors" are, and who the threats may be.

A local pastor regularly shoots at our local gun club; we have discussed this issue several times; particularly after church shootings.

It is my takeaway that pastors would like to know who is carrying; but deciding if the pastors need to know, should know, or not; needs to happen IMO.

:D

Respectfully; considering where and why are you are inside that CHURCH OF WORSHIP, only the ABSOLUTE bare minimum number of people should know you are packing. Even that minimum number of folks is probably too many.

Respectfully.

God knows. Hopefully this armed and somewhat trained pastor of forty years never is faced with that moment. Decision was already made to carry. If carried must use. Am forgiven. Know in advance, in this life , that moment will change my life forever. My prayer is steady hand, straight aim, and one shot. Not premeditation rather preparation.

Forget praise your lord and pass the ammunition. Pray YOU have the skill to put 5 to 10 rounds into the chest and head of any bad guy who chooses to mess up your meeting. Also do not forget the secret 3-4 guys who are watching all your sixes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top