JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last Edited:
It seems the ones that get shut down are basically selling screw together suppressor kits, the ones from quietbore and most other good places require you to drill the baffles out after you submit your form 1.

I'd like to see manufacturers stop with the whole "solvent trap" nonsense and just say they are DIY kits that require a form 1 to complete.

I'd like to see manufacturers stop with the whole "solvent trap" nonsense and just say they are DIY kits that require a form 1 to complete.

I agree but I'm pretty sure it's the ATF that prevents them from advertising them as suppressor kits, even though we all know that's what they are for.

I agree but I'm pretty sure it's the ATF that prevents them from advertising them as suppressor kits, even though we all know that's what they are for.

Ah, that makes sense. I remember when they first started being a thing, and thought the premise of it being used to catch cleaning solvents was just silly.

But then they would charge ridiculous prices because they would then be using official lingo like "supressor" and "form 1".

Ah, that makes sense. I remember when they first started being a thing, and thought the premise of it being used to catch cleaning solvents was just silly.

It is silly, but they're paranoid about being shut down. Some won't even respond to emails if you use terms like baffle. SPC has a big disclaimer on their page saying that.

I have yet to see an official ruling. ATF has shut down multiple sites/companies over the last few years. I'm aware of at least one case in which ATF raided the business, took all the inventory, and it was reported they were pursuing the owner criminally. If the owner prevailed or went to Federal PMITA prison isn't clear, but the site is long gone.

I personally wouldn't, and haven't, bothered with the solvent traps. Instead I just bought silencers from a local FFL/SOT and Silencer Shop. To each their own.

Yeah I'm not sure who is buying these and walking around free. Tons of products like these on Amazon. Some with nearly 100 reviews.

Back when you could buy a cell signal jammer, I found an article that talked about how LE traced purchases from a company to each buyer and contacted them...

Hmmm...

Yeah I'm not sure who is buying these and walking around free. Tons of products like these on Amazon. Some with nearly 100 reviews.

Back when you could buy a cell signal jammer, I found an article that talked about how LE traced purchases from a company to each buyer and contacted them...

Hmmm...

Well a cell phone jammer is illegal full stop, the solvent traps, again the reputable ones you have to drill, are legal until you actually drill out the baffles and end cap, then you need to have submitted a form one, which is easy to do.

Perfectly legal to own.

Whilst I probably wouldn't own any unless I was doing so with the intention of submitting ATF paperwork to actually convert them into a legal suppressor, to each there own.

If your the type to have one on the grounds that you will drill it out in the SHTF event. I'd say that's probably not the wisest, but still not illegal to possess so long as no "storage cups" haven't been drilled.

If you are buying these to legally convert, there are really good kits and parts available to make damn near just as good if not better suppressors than actual name brand manufactured suppressors.

I have two form 1 suppressors pending myself. Both are quiet bore kits. The kits are great and much less expensive overall than buying a manufactured can.

@wired has shared a ton of his legally tax stamped suppressors made from just about every type of solvent trap kit on the market. Including a rimfire made from an aluminum mono core I want to say he bought from Aliexpress or similar Chinese online market.

One day in the not too distant future they will be targeting our cleaning supplies and we will be rationing the best we can. No more liberal shots of Rem oil scenting the parking lot at the range.

yeah, I keep getting ads for "fuel filters" not sure how they filter anything though but that is how they are advertising them. With that being said, and since its a very gray area, I wouldn't recommend buying anything like that unless you were paying cash for it at a gun show or something.

Hmmm...
As long as you buy from the US, you should be good. It is when these come through customs complete, (Not what the pictures or description show that some end users have gotten grief.) Personally, I would stick with quietbore and some of the other better known ones and have a form 1 in hand. It's hard to argue it is illegal if it is form 1 approved already. I kinda want to do a suppressor out of an actual Napa Fuel Filter. Those suckers look beefy.

yeah, I keep getting ads for "fuel filters" not sure how they filter anything though but that is how they are advertising them. With that being said, and since its a very gray area, I wouldn't recommend buying anything like that unless you were paying cash for it at a gun show or something.

In today's history lesson, we learn that the wix 24003 / NAPA 4003 is the O.G. of the solvent trap / suppressor trap game...
It's truly a fuel filter, but has some added benefits.
:D

32fbd02adbe355670304924c4f430dca.jpg

In today's history lesson, we learn that the wix 24003 / NAPA 4003 is the O.G. of the solvent trap / suppressor trap game...
It's truly a fuel filter, but has some added benefits.
:D

View attachment 728738

Except that the internals sold by third parties are different than what NAPA sells. :rolleyes:

Then there are the "pill containers":

They are completely legal unless you decide to drill a hole in the baffles or end cap. Before drilling, submit an E-form 1 and wait 1-2 months for approval.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top