JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm well aware of the legal concerns with these, and know that anyone putting one together without a stamped Form 1 is just asking for trouble, in a pretty big way. No question there.

Having said that....has anyone built one, and are they worth a darn..??

Rainier Arms just sent out an ad for what amounts to a suppressor "kit"...looks reasonable, but ends up costing pretty much what a "real" suppressor does. There are some kits on the net (won't link them) that look pretty solid, but they appear to be made from aluminum, rather than some fancy unobtainum material for the baffles. I'm sure it affects the lifetime, but what I don't know is for the occasional trip to the range, are they a reasonable answer..??

What got me interested is I have a buddy that's asking about them (with a stamped Form 1) and the current reasonable turn around on a Form 1's has him interested. I waited a year for most of my cans, he's hoping for something much quicker.

Any experience with any of these...??

Thanks - B.B.S.

There is an ATF "watch" on this type of accessory. There have been several recorded encounters with HLS and ATF investigating possession with no record of Form one.

On the other hand, they are light, cleanable, and variable in length. Not sure I am fond of aluminum but if extended rapid fire is not the plan, it is likely ok. Have witnessed one up here in Seattle area. a 9mm model. Seemed effective there. 9 mm not as effective with the 22lr. But did take the crack away. Fit and finish was fine.

I like mine, and think they perform pretty well, but have not had the chance to A/B them with any commercial suppressors. I have a nicer 1.5"x7" titanium one with good cups for AR9s and 300blk subs, and a thinner one with cheap steel/aluminum cups for handguns. They both work, the bigger one is much more quiet with the extra volume and better cups. Including stamps and mounts, the bigger one was about $600, and smaller one about $450-500.

You generally get what you pay for, here's some cup examples.... I don't have any experience with the following companies, these websites tend to come and go, probably for legal reasons.

cheap cups - ok for .22 or handgun use, put a steel one up front to deal with the blast, then the rest can be aluminum. These are not very easy to do custom clipping or porting on, and they dont do the best job of suppression, but they work.

Good cups - all titanium works for mag dumping ar9's, 300blk subsonic shooting, probably more. For full power 5.56, .308 and beyond, I would still put a steel cup or two up front. There is some debate on which type of cone is best for what type of application, but folks seem to really like the stepped cones lately.

My plan for my next can is one for 5.56 and .308 using this tube ASR Advantage tube or a similar one with 1-3/8" - 24tpi threads on one end. That allows you to use Yankee, Griffin, Dead Air, Q, etc mounting systems. These can all handle full power rifle rounds, a three lug mount can not. Next step is to fill it up with some stepped cones with dual hybrid clips, (look that up) a spacer for the blast chamber, and an endcap.

lots of good details and experience in dedicated suppressor forums and groups though.

I have been around people who were using them and IMO there was little to none DB reduction no worth getting into trouble with the ATF
As I said in the first sentence of my first post, paperwork would be in place before the parts even dock.

I'm in pretty good shape, really like my Silencerco cans. A buddy is thinking about this.....

Seems like there is a ton of misinformation about these. Solvent traps range from cheap chinesium junk, to $500+ ti kits. Whether they work or not is up to the builder. It isn't as simple as buying it and running a drill through them.

Side note, don't order through Diversified machine shop. I waited 12 weeks for some "in stock" items before I reversed the charges. No reply to emails. He makes good stuff, just a bad business man.

Now I'm back to square 1. I'm all set up with my fingerprint cards and photo and have my account set up.

Thinking about ordering through SPC.

Seems like there is a ton of misinformation about these. Solvent traps range from cheap chinesium junk, to $500+ ti kits. Whether they work or not is up to the builder. It isn't as simple as buying it and running a drill through them.

Side note, don't order through Diversified machine shop. I waited 12 weeks for some "in stock" items before I reversed the charges. No reply to emails. He makes good stuff, just a bad business man.

Now I'm back to square 1. I'm all set up with my fingerprint cards and photo and have my account set up.

Thinking about ordering through SPC.

This is exactly it, an aluminum ebay special is not going to be anywhere near as nice as a TI and SS SPC kit. I am getting ready to do a 1.625 build through SPC in fact, they have some of the best quality product it seems, as well as good CS. Little pricey but you get what you pay for. Form 1 is way faster than Form 4 as well, and it allows you to experiment a little and learn about suppression as well.

Ive got around 20 Form 1 silencers. Mostly Solvent trap based. Some Chineseum. Mostly US parts sourced. Depends on the application and caliber. Anyone who says they dont work didnt do it right.

Look at YouTube and you will see some great examples of the traps used for a .22. They work amazingly well for the cost. The stamp is more than the parts to put one together. Several I looked at worked great. Don't know how long they would last but that would not really matter as long as you papered it.

Look at YouTube and you will see some great examples of the traps used for a .22. They work amazingly well for the cost. The stamp is more than the parts to put one together. Several I looked at worked great. Don't know how long they would last but that would not really matter as long as you papered it.

I've had good luck with Quiet Bore. They won't ship your order until you provide your Form 1 application but they do have detailed instructions and a video. Both aluminum and SS baffles are available as well as different end fitting adapters. If you sign up for notifications you'll get an email about discount codes. I've seen up to 30% off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top