JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Todays 'traps' are equivalent to yesterdays mass produced suppressors.

Anyone denouncing a legitimate and well made home kit is a fool and should get off their high horse and fornicate themselves. Some people like the idea of making, assembling.

Sure, it's not an OSS or some new space age light weight widget but they are effective and reliable.

but what I don't know is for the occasional trip to the range, are they a reasonable answer..??
Coming from someone 'inexperienced' with suppressors my questions would be 'reasonable answer' to what ? , and what has changed with your trips to the range that now you think you need a suppressor?

I have only shot a couple guns with suppressors and and that has been outside and I still needed hearing protection.

In some circumstances I could see the advantage to a suppressor, such as with a .22 for maybe some varmint control in a somewhat populated area (providing the shooting is legal) but otherwise I don't have much of a need for one - especially considering the legal hoops and the costs.

In conclusion IF suppressors were a 100% non-regulated accessory, and could be bought off the rack with other gun accessories, or built without any conditions I might mess with a couple of them but not under the current regs.

Last Edited:
Todays 'traps' are equivalent to yesterdays mass produced suppressors.

Anyone denouncing a legitimate and well made home kit is a fool and should get off their high horse and fornicate themselves. Some people like the idea of making, assembling.

Sure, it's not an OSS or some new space age light weight widget but they are effective and reliable.
Completely agree, I know several people with $4-500 form 1 solvent trap supressors and I cannot tell the difference in DB between theirs and my Form 4 cans. Being able to buy high quality components and be able to use it in under 2 months is a plus especially not having to wait a year on a form 4.

Coming from someone 'inexperienced' with suppressors my questions would be 'reasonable answer' to what ? , and what has changed with your trips to the range that now you think you need a suppressor?

I have only shot a couple guns with suppressors and and that has been outside and I still needed hearing protection.

In some circumstances I could see the advantage to a suppressor, such as with a .22 for maybe some varmint control in a somewhat populated area (providing the shooting is legal) but otherwise I don't have much of a need for one - especially considering the legal hoops and the costs.

In conclusion IF suppressors were a 100% non-regulated accessory, and could be bought off the rack with other gun accessories, or built without any conditions I might mess with a couple of them but not under the current regs.
I've been debating additional suppressors but I have thoroughly enjoyed my Dead Air Mask rimfire suppressor (I use it for 22 s, l, lr). My favorite is shooting it on a bolt action like my Ruger American Rimfire. The only things you hear are the firing pin and the impact (sometimes the zing of a ricochet which is an interesting sound). No ear protection required with subsonics. You can listen to the birds chirp and the breeze in the trees and still have fun plinking. I'd suggest everyone experience a suppressed 22 bolt gun at least once. It makes me giddy just thinking about it. But hey, to each their own.

A co-worker started playing with form 1 suppressors recently but he has the equipment to machine his own. It has me intrigued about trying a form 1 myself.

Its why I bought this thing.

PXL_20211212_162239881 (1).jpg

Ppdffttt…. I use a raw USDA No.1 Idaho Russet 'tater stabbed onto the muzzle.
When I was a kid LONG before Al Invented the net, we tried a few of those "we heard" idea's. Baby bottle nipple was a popular one back then. :s0140:

When I got a little older and dumber, we did find some things that really worked, and worked quite well. Of course the fun and games would have been anything but that if we had gotten caught doing stupid crap like that. Ah but that's what youth is all about. Doing really stupid stuff and living to tell about it later. That and the friends who did not survive the fun days of knowing everything.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top