JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was looking at these Solvent Trap Kits @ http://www.preppersdiscount.com And I have read that these can be easily turned into a suppressor. ( I understand this is only legal if you obtain a Tax Stamp) But I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it worked out ok? I am looking at this as a cheaper entry way into suppressors. Also I was wondering what all was involved into turning these into suppressors? I'm sure there is more then drilling involved.

Again I understand that this is only legal after you obtain a Tax Stamp. But I am looking for info on how before hand to see if its worth the effort.

They work amazing.

Of course in the way they are designed to... As a trap. ;)

There are videos such as this one:

And more available online of those dropping the db below 100 on supersonic ammo and then having subsonic ammo being around 75db. So yes I would say they work. :D

I suspect you would think it was fantastic, all the way up until you compared its performance with that of a real suppressor.

I have been around a number of home built legal suppressors, Most are very poor performers compared to commercially available units. If you are a fantastic machinist and mediocre engineer and have access to all the required equipment you could build one that is a equal or even better, but it wont be built out of an old Maglight and some freezer plugs.

If you are going to have one suppressor, save your pennies and buy a good one.

ATF really frowns on PPL that do this stuff and believe me they can get the info on anyone who buys these traps in the blink of an eye.
So if you'd rather forego a no-knock SWAT raid steer clear of questionable purchases

ATF really frowns on PPL that do this stuff and believe me they can get the info on anyone who buys these traps in the blink of an eye.
So if you'd rather forego a no-knock SWAT raid steer clear of questionable purchases

So do not buy anything from there web site. Just go to E-bay. They have all the stuff you need for a "solvent trap".

True @IronMonster
A Geo and a Lexus will both go down the highway and get you from point A to point B.

It's all based on the amount the person desires to spend, assuming they are fully aware that a $150 homemade unit is not equal to a machined unit.

Same reason they have $400 AR's and then there are Noveske rifles that I have no clue where they top out. Both shoot 5.56..... The question always is "how much do you want to spend?"

A very wise man I once knew, who owned a gun shop, used to always tell me....."you wanna play, your gonna pay!" It does not matter what you are into. There is always going to be a top end high dollar item and then there is always a cheaper version for people who try to save money.

If the damn stamps weren't so expensive it would be a fun project.
Not the "best" suppressor but something fun for a DIY gun related project. Not unlike making an 80% receiver into an AR.

I agree @Dyjital and @IronMonster. There are reasons the "good" factory made units cost what they do, owning to a much refined design... I would suspect that these "trap" type units, would be a decent entry level for like a .22 or something. So, for something in the neighbor hood of 350 (including stamp) you could have a low end suppressor for a .22 or something.

As to the OP, just drilling. I wouldn't suggest a hand drill, but a nice solid drill press, and some good bits. I am guessing of coarse.

If the damn stamps weren't so expensive it would be a fun project.
Not the "best" suppressor but something fun for a DIY gun related project. Not unlike making an 80% receiver into an AR.

Agreed. I have Silencerco products in the safe, no regrets. Save your money, get a good one. As a wise man said; "buy once, cry once".

I would remind everyone that Obama wants to outlaw the discussion of firearms, even in e-mails.
By taking such a flippant attitude to NFA regulated items in this thread .Guv gets a lot more ammo to push it's Marxist agenda of shutting down these sites which makes me question weather there are not many Cass Sunstiens on this very site

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top