JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting vid, but some thoughts.

I understand that the guy is going for a minimalist approach, and I agree that where he is at (and a lot of other places) shelter is probably the first priority, but I can't help but thinking that some very simple and lightweight additions to his kit would save him a lot of calories and effort - especially since he brought no food:

Some plastic sheeting or similar covering would be very helpful along with some cordage. First a person could make a shelter very quickly with the sheeting/et. al. and some cordage, while burning fewer calories and daylight. Along the coast like that, the weather can change very quickly.

After all, he brought a pack and a heavy small axe (I think he would have done better with a 'belt axe' and a saw blade). Speaking of things to bring along - how about a lightweight .22 RF gun for hunting small game? Or at least a slingshot? Cordage/wire for trapping.

While I see that he brought some gloves, he doesn't seem to use them much. I use them almost all the time on my property as I hate having slivers of wood in my hands and it usually saves my hands from minor injuries.

Cutting down a live (?) tree and using that for firewood. There is dead wood all around him. Live trees just are not going to burn as well.

It seems he only spent one night in the woods (all that effort for one night? I expected it to last longer), and while he did some foraging, I think after a week or so following that routine, he would be pretty weak and in need of food. Another weak or two and he probably would not be hiking out of there.

This approach seems quite efficient
Survival Lilly

Yes - I've seen a number of her vids and for the most part I like them. I don't agree with some of her conclusions, but then I don't agree 100% with anybody and vice versa and it is good to see a young lady actually out there doing the stuff she does, learning and trying - plus I like when she has her dog along (who seems to thoroughly enjoy the adventure - like most dogs would).

agree.....she seems to keep focused on 'the Basics' and has good practical demonstrations at least as good as any and far better than some pretenders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top