Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Solidified My Decision to Not Involve Myself in Altercations Today

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by beavertonbuck, Oct 15, 2013.

1. beavertonbuck

beavertonbuck Beaverton Active Member

I was driving home today going to pick my kids up and was heading down Murray just south of Hwy 26. I see one gun walking and another three guys jump on him and start beating him eventually they are dog piling the guy in the road. They get out of the road and now the one guy is taunting the other guys and start running after them. As traffic was stopped due to the idiots in the road more people starting coming out of homes and now four guys have turned in 10+ and its clear that the parties knew one another.

I never thought about getting involved and in the aftermath I absolutely made the right decision. I don't think you should never get involved in a situation but one has to be careful how you interpret the situation.

2. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Really!?!?

3. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

The good people of the UK walked along on their merry way as a UK soldier had his head hacked off by Islamists this year.
    They didn't want to get "involved in any altercations" either.....
    So tell me, if you saw on the news tomorrow that the guy was killed in the scuffle, what you still be proud of your decision? My second question is why carry a firearm?

4. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

So you obviously at least called the police, right and didn't just sit there watching, right?

mjbskwim, saxon, Nomad1911 and 3 others like this.
  5. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

You could have at least put it on youtoob. sounded like a hoot

Oh how I miss Benny Hill.

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  6. beavertonbuck

beavertonbuck Beaverton Active Member

Simon, I carry a gun to protect my family and myself. The question is not how I would feel tomorrow but how I felt at the time. At first I was concerned but as I heard the yelling and saw the interactions it was more of a personal issue. I don't want to shoot three guys who are jumping on a guy they just found beating their sister.

Bob, I pulled out my phone and a driver yelled over to me that he was already calling the police. I drove off after the fight broke I tried to flag down a police officer driving by but o luck. When I left the fight was over.

7. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

But apparently you're supposed to be part Rambo and part Phoenix Jones, right? :rolleyes:

This was definitely one of those times to call the police and stay out of it. They're trained in how to evaluate situations before deploying force, and even they get it wrong on a regular basis. We are not legally protected from our mistakes the way they are. Let them take the legal, financial and physical risks.

solv3nt and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

By the way, those Brits you were complaining about? Probably not packing, given the gun laws over there. You want to go unarmed against a guy with a knife big enough to hack a head off, have at it. Bring us back a video.

9. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In all fairness to Simon it probably would have been a good idea to mention all the details in the first post to avoid confusion or people getting the wrong ideas. You made a vague comment that it was personal but no mention as to what, so that leads us to think it wasn't worth the guy getting jumped. Plus you could have added that you tried to contact the police. You wouldn't have gotten any flak over the issue. This happens a lot on forums.

10. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the OP was right or wrong. I wasn't there.

99.99999% of the time it is best to be a good witness and not get directly involved. Especially on something the witness just "walked in on" and not something s/he witnessed from the start. Afterall, the possibility exists the guy getting his clock cleaned is a bad guy, and the other(s) are the good guy(s), such as undercover or off duty cops.

Picture for a moment an armed citizen holding a bad guy at gun-point. What does that look like to bystanders? Or how it looks to the responding good guy(s)? For all they know the one holding the gun is a bad guy about to shoot a good guy and in their mind have no choice but to take appropriate action to remove the threat. That is to take out the one holding the gun by any means available.

Take this for what you paid for it. It's just my two cents.

NWGlockgal, mjbskwim, RicInOR and 5 others like this.
  11. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Ive solidified my decision to Not get involved in THIS altercation. :p

OLDNEWBIE and (deleted member) like this.
  12. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Guns got legs?? :)

13. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Bipods? ;)

14. accessbob

Cool BC reference.

-- Bob

15. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Sticking up for the OP here.

1) No good deed goes unpunished and,

2) I carry a firearm for my own personal defense (or those close to me, not strangers with rare exceptions), not to play Batman.

Flopsweat, mjbskwim, solv3nt and 3 others like this.
  16. accessbob

Batman didn't carry a firearm. So you probably meant Bat Masterson. :p

-- Bob

17. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I stand corrected. Always was partial to "The Equalizer" myself. Him and his trusty Walther PPK.

18. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

Huh?

19. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't carry a firearm to be a superhero either........when others are being victimized and you are compelled not to act when its within your power, it says a lot about your character doesn't it?

Nomad1911 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

As one of those Good Samaritan types, many of us have interceded when they saw someone getting beat on only to have the "beatee" turn on them.

If I were to intercede with a firearm for a stranger, the likelihood of a contact with the legal system is greatly increased. Once initiated things will progress in ways beyond my control. Politics, what the officer had for dinner, whether he's having a "good day" or not, all of this comes into play. Bottom line is I take the chance of putting the physical and financial security of myself in the hands of others with their own agenda which I don't control. As a result, the physical and financial security of my entire family and company are now also in their hands.

I choose not to risk that lightly. Not that I never would, but the scale would have to move quite a bit.

And yes, that says a lot about me.