JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I put up a sign like Bert.. it chases away most of them. I also answer from an upstairs window and if it's THEM I tell them where to go after asking them if they can read English

OK here it is.

Two years ago mild summer day maybe 11am in the morning about two blocks from me a man who was selling magazines in the neighborhood knocked on a mans door. Cut to the chase he was not selling magazines he had magazines and a gun and had seem solicitors going door to door. This was his MO, find out where people are soliciting and get there trust blend in. Now you slammed the door.
This guy did not and whether you carry or not if a guy points it at your face they gain automatic control over and older man.
They guy robbed him of his wallet and watch and left.

If you knock on my door and I do not know you I answer with a gun in my hand end of story, my house my rules. You don't belong here.

Are you off base, not if you understand I bring a gun to my door if I do not know you so chances are the man would have been standing there with me holding my Sig at my side. I just casually asking what they want and then while my gun is in their site ask them did they see the no solicitation sign. Oddly Mormons and others have never come back in years.
You tell me why ????

Not suggesting anyone be threatening with their gun, mine is in my house at my side in view.
You knock on my door and ignore my signs, you see my weapon you make the choice you want me to see you as a threat or not ??

I get real protective of my house, my family and my Sh*t. Don't like it read the freaking sign and walk away !!!!

there's nothing wrong with protecting your domicile, there is something wrong with boxing in cars, refusing to allow people to leave, and then demanding they open their vehicle for your inspection as a condition of leaving your property.

that's the only thing I've taken exception to this thread.

OK here it is.

Two years ago mild summer day maybe 11am in the morning about two blocks from me a man who was selling magazines in the neighborhood knocked on a mans door. Cut to the chase he was not selling magazines he had magazines and a gun and had seem solicitors going door to door. This was his MO, find out where people are soliciting and get there trust blend in. Now you slammed the door.
This guy did not and whether you carry or not if a guy points it at your face they gain automatic control over and older man.
They guy robbed him of his wallet and watch and left.

If you knock on my door and I do not know you I answer with a gun in my hand end of story, my house my rules. You don't belong here.

Are you off base, not if you understand I bring a gun to my door if I do not know you so chances are the man would have been standing there with me holding my Sig at my side. I just casually asking what they want and then while my gun is in their site ask them did they see the no solicitation sign. Oddly Mormons and others have never come back in years.
You tell me why ????

Not suggesting anyone be threatening with their gun, mine is in my house at my side in view.
You knock on my door and ignore my signs, you see my weapon you make the choice you want me to see you as a threat or not ??

I get real protective of my house, my family and my Sh*t. Don't like it read the freaking sign and walk away !!!!

In the late 1960s two black men were selling Door to Door magazines in my home town of NY. My best friends father was the manager of the apartment complex this was taking place in. When asked to leave they did.
Being suspicious he went down to the underground parking lot for some reason. Although a gated and guarded housing complex, they [the salesmen] found there way in, probably behind a car at the keyed auto entry door.
I don't think any one really knows what happened except for the fact when he [the father] turned up after making it a half a city block, back at his apartment with his jugular vein severed! Then there he died on the kitchen floor in front of his wife and some of his nine Irish Catholic children. Since that day several of his children have committed suicide. The remaining family and I are close to this day.
Talking about your right to tress pass on my place. This Place is not your ticket to Disney Land, play house else ware. I have seen to much of life to trust in the unknown.
Silver Hand

there's nothing wrong with protecting your domicile, there is something wrong with boxing in cars, refusing to allow people to leave, and then demanding they open their vehicle for your inspection as a condition of leaving your property.

that's the only thing I've taken exception to this thread.

Why don't you take your grievances to your church or something, Get over it, keep out - no tress passing - a signed document explaining my intentions of prosecution lastly. You are at risk If you don't feel it you are stupid and at risk but that changes nothing.

Silver Hand

All sounds great. Makes no difference to me. If this place is left alone and someone is trying to leave and I catch Them. My Consideration is they are some kind of meth head thief and I will deal with things as they take place.
Silver Hand

Well I think keeping someone on property is kidnapping if I read your post right >>?

Well I think keeping someone on property is kidnapping if I read your post right >>?

That's what the law says

163.225¹
Kidnapping in the second degree
(1) A person commits the crime of kidnapping in the second degree if, with intent to interfere substantially with anothers personal liberty, and without consent or legal authority, the person:
(a) Takes the person from one place to another; or
(b) Secretly confines the person in a place where the person is not likely to be found.

you can also make the case he held them hostage. If he were making a lawful citizens arrest he would've delivered to a public officer, instead he was simply being a bully by making them open their car to him and refusing to allow them to leave.

It is not trespassing to enter someone's driveway in plain view to contact them at their house. in fact it's standard to do so because how else can you request permission to be on the property without contacting the owner? unless he has an active restraining order against the people on the property or has filed them notice of trespass they're not trespassing when they come to the front door in full view to ask to talk to the owner.

someone when coming to your door can be

>a hunter or fishing asking permission to use your land
>a census taker
>a cop who wants to ask you some questions
>A courrier
>a coroner's assistant informing you a relative has died

being a young person, I supplement my income by doing simple tasks like serving court process. so imagine this. an attorney I work for as a process server, gets a complaint from Silver hand's neighbor, and the neighbor decides to file a suit. by law for the suit to be valid Silver Hand has to be served the notice in person.

no problem, I drive out to his house, come to his door and knock politely, he's not home, great
so I get in my car to leave, but here comes silver down the driveway. blocks me on, and asks what I'm doing. I politely explain that I'm here to serve him a process, and then silver demands to search my car. I ask if we can get a deputy over to sort this out, but Silver won't hear none of it, he demands to search my car, and I don't want him to. now since silver is a member here, I presume he owns some guns. i see a bulge under his jacket... now from my point of view, I did nothing wrong, he's obviously not happy, he won't let me leave without allowing him to search my personal effects, now I think he has a gun. lets' say i have a CHL and am packing too... what do I do? my only effective option is to allow him to search my car, but getting out of my car may tip him off i'm armed, I can't leave, and he's becoming belligerent. my only option is now to employ that firearm against him to allow me to depart the scene.

see silverhand thinks he's "protecting his family" he's actually putting himself in danger by unnessecarily escalating a situation. I've no problem with protecting your land, I've done it, i;ve also confronted trespassers while watching other people's property. nearly all the time I just ask them to leave and not come back and give them a phone number to reach the owner at if they wish to talk to him. there is no point in escalating a situation, and creating one that turns you into a aggressor-felon and making the supposed "trespasser" the innocent victim who has to defend themselves.

You sure assume a lot.
If you read my post then your B.S. You will further your understand of me, and yourself. You have assumed way more than what was written.
I don't give a darn about what your motive is or your peace full B.S. crap involving your own religious or other beliefs. Keep the hell out.
You sound like one of those anti gun religious freaks to me and I could care less.
Silver Hand

I've read enough to put the seattlite on ignore.

As far as the solicitors go,it's not rude to slam the door in their face and I consider it trespassing when they pass the PVT sing under the road sing at the driveway

PVT= private= do you have any REAL reason to be here? And your religion doesn't cut it
Don't they teach you respect for others?

And OP I wouldn't have let the son in. He can make an appointment to come back. And I would have told the caretaker not to contact me either.

But as you can see,there is a reason I can't live in apartments

When my Father retired, he quickly came to understand our neighborhood was ripe with Door to Door Sales people. He would hear the knock, mutter under his breath, and answer the door with: "my time costs YOU Sixty $$$ an hour, Starting NOW, with NOW being about three times the volume of his regular speech level.

If they even started to speak, he would say, "In Advance" and hold out his hand to collect !!!! Very effective !!!

As per JW'S, a Single word, Written on the back of a business card, will remove them from your siewalk, forever.

That word, plainly printed, is "DISFELLOWSHIPPED" They may not talk to a former (removed from the JW church) member !!! Tack it to your door frame, They WILL see it.

The last, my neighbor Biker Friend really did... Being in intamacy with his wife, most of Saturday morning, he got tired of being disturbed, having to put on a bath robe, etc.

So, one Saturday, the Bathrobe was left very open, and he simply said,"may I help you"???

No more disturbances on Saturday Mornings !!!! :^)

When I lived in downtown Honolulu we simply asked them if they'd like to buy some drugs. They never returned.

Three old nuns climbed all the way up my stairs last summer, about 40' worth. Knew the old hens were coming because of the Dakota Alarm. They had a bucket, collecting for something.

I answered the door and all three were out of breath, 'whew, those are really some long stairs ... well the reason we are here ...." ........... SLAM.

Chuckled about that for the rest of the day. Sorry, the walk of shame back down the stairs awaits.

Dressing up like a penguin or wearing a pointy hat doesn't impress me at all. Your perverse institution holds most of the world's wealth, but you've got the balls to go begging to the common man. F-off.

Three old nuns climbed all the way up my stairs last summer, about 40' worth. Knew the old hens were coming because of the Dakota Alarm. They had a bucket, collecting for something.

I answered the door and all three were out of breath, 'whew, those are really some long stairs ... well the reason we are here ...." ........... SLAM.

Chuckled about that for the rest of the day. Sorry, the walk of shame back down the stairs awaits.

Dressing up like a penguin or wearing a pointy hat doesn't impress me at all. Your perverse institution holds most of the world's wealth, but you've got the balls to go begging to the common man. F-off.

No Clayton Bigsby for them?

So here's the question: First, was I totally off base with my door slamming policy? It sounds pretty horrible out of context. But I literally get pulled away from something I'm doing a minimum of twice a weekend (and God knows how many times they come around that I'm not here) so I was just a little fed up.

No, plus: who cares? The landlady discussion is the typical race to the moral high ground. My landlord used to live in my house, they just kept it and rent it out. And they're super good with the whole dropping by and having work done thing. Nothing unanounced and since I mentioned once that I want to be there, they make sure to work with my plans. They are great, but many landlords aren't. Then again, with a significant part of the rental crowd being people I'd rather avoid, I can imagine someone doing this professionally not holding tenants in the highest esteem. Not a judgement about you by the way, just a general observation.

Second question: Should I contact the landlord and sort of, get this on the record? I don't know how much power the caretaker really wields, although I do know that she does the inspection when I leave, and I don't need her gouging my deposit or something if she has an axe to grind.

Yes! A documented trail, even if it's just email, works best. Be polite and matter-of-factual (is that a word? :)) in the correspondence and you'll be fine in case the excrements hit the rotating air circulation device.

Last question, although it doesn't really matter now, is WA one of the states that landlords have to give you 24 hours notice for things of this (detector installation) variety?

I believe so, but my landlord & landlady are very good about this.

That's what the law says

you can also make the case he held them hostage. If he were making a lawful citizens arrest he would've delivered to a public officer, instead he was simply being a bully by making them open their car to him and refusing to allow them to leave.

It is not trespassing to enter someone's driveway in plain view to contact them at their house. in fact it's standard to do so because how else can you request permission to be on the property without contacting the owner? unless he has an active restraining order against the people on the property or has filed them notice of trespass they're not trespassing when they come to the front door in full view to ask to talk to the owner.

someone when coming to your door can be

>a hunter or fishing asking permission to use your land
>a census taker
>a cop who wants to ask you some questions
>A courrier
>a coroner's assistant informing you a relative has died

being a young person, I supplement my income by doing simple tasks like serving court process. so imagine this. an attorney I work for as a process server, gets a complaint from Silver hand's neighbor, and the neighbor decides to file a suit. by law for the suit to be valid Silver Hand has to be served the notice in person.

no problem, I drive out to his house, come to his door and knock politely, he's not home, great
so I get in my car to leave, but here comes silver down the driveway. blocks me on, and asks what I'm doing. I politely explain that I'm here to serve him a process, and then silver demands to search my car. I ask if we can get a deputy over to sort this out, but Silver won't hear none of it, he demands to search my car, and I don't want him to. now since silver is a member here, I presume he owns some guns. i see a bulge under his jacket... now from my point of view, I did nothing wrong, he's obviously not happy, he won't let me leave without allowing him to search my personal effects, now I think he has a gun. lets' say i have a CHL and am packing too... what do I do? my only effective option is to allow him to search my car, but getting out of my car may tip him off i'm armed, I can't leave, and he's becoming belligerent. my only option is now to employ that firearm against him to allow me to depart the scene.

see silverhand thinks he's "protecting his family" he's actually putting himself in danger by unnessecarily escalating a situation. I've no problem with protecting your land, I've done it, i;ve also confronted trespassers while watching other people's property. nearly all the time I just ask them to leave and not come back and give them a phone number to reach the owner at if they wish to talk to him. there is no point in escalating a situation, and creating one that turns you into a aggressor-felon and making the supposed "trespasser" the innocent victim who has to defend themselves.

A good lawyer should instakill the quoted kidnap, since it's in plain view on his driveway. "Secretly" being the keyword. And for JW's/Mormons, one of the houses where they're expected to harvest souls wouldn't classify as "a place where the person is not likely to be found."

That being said, the trespassing exchange is probably cut short (not requesting them to leave), which would likely void his cause for citizen's arrest. Blocking their path could maybe be caught under some law concerning restriction of movement or whatever.

I'm not sure the demanding to see the trunk contents is illegal. He can ask, they can just say "no" and call LE.

I don't think Silver Hand was entirely in the green here, but some of the pictures being painted here try to make it worse than it is.

Don't answer the door.

Glance out the far window to see if it's the little girl down the street selling girl scout cookies or a douchbag casing the home. The sequence of theft is

THE VERY FIRST 1st THING a criminal will usually do is knock on your door to determine if your home is available to hit on. There is nothing more disconcerting to a thief than to believe that there is someone home but not answering the door. It makes it much harder for them to determine that the next place is truly empty, and that someone like Burt isn't behind the door with a loaded 12 ga quietly waiting for them to illegally enter. You are under no obligation to open your door to any stranger.

I'm always very polite and prompt with the solicitors and Jehovah's Witnesses. I simply tell them I'm not interested and point them to the house directly across the street, informing them that the gentleman over there would be very interested in what they selling or spewing. Across the street from me lives temperamental, unfortunately now somewhat senile, mostly mean and very lonely 86 year old man. Without fail he will invite them in and discuss Korea, guns, "that n***er in the White House" (his words, not mine), his days on the city council or how we need to start a revolution in this country. I have a direct view into his window where he sits at his kitchen table with these people. I'll laugh and watch as these people squirm and try to figure out an exit as he waves his arms around, getting worked up about whatever issue is on his mind. So far the longest he's had one "trapped" has been nearly 2 hours.

I'm always very polite and prompt with the solicitors and Jehovah's Witnesses. I simply tell them I'm not interested and point them to the house directly across the street, informing them that the gentleman over there would be very interested in what they selling or spewing. Across the street from me lives temperamental, unfortunately now somewhat senile, mostly mean and very lonely 86 year old man. Without fail he will invite them in and discuss Korea, guns, "that n***er in the White House" (his words, not mine), his days on the city council or how we need to start a revolution in this country. I have a direct view into his window where he sits at his kitchen table with these people. I'll laugh and watch as these people squirm and try to figure out an exit as he waves his arms around, getting worked up about whatever issue is on his mind. So far the longest he's had one "trapped" has been nearly 2 hours.

you know, that may actually qualify as confining them in secret :p

See that's how you deal with trespassers. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews