Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Solicitors and dealing with them

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shakazulu12, Mar 24, 2010.

1. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Portland, OR Member

So apparently the ''No Soliciting'' sign on my door only seems to attract more of them. I was actually going to order one that says ''Solicitors will be shot'' but stopped short because I wasn't sure if I'm crossing some kine of legal boundary with that one.

Yeah, I know, I'm probably over thinking this one, but is implied physical harm a no-no?

2. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

get a doberman :) they see him through the glass beside the door and he has a big bark. They leave their flyer and scram.

3. shakazulu12

Probably just a coincidence, but I have already decided my next pup is going to be a dobie, but I still want a sign on the door.

4. SSG

SSG Lane County New Member

Make them feel stupid...ask them if they can read...why they can't read the sign...

Also, some solicitors aren't...meaning if they don't have brochures, a product, ect...maybe they are just peeps posing as solicitors to knock on the door, peek in windows, see if someone is home...casing the place...when I run into these, I ask for id, where's the product ect ect, and tell them that I will call the cops, and never want to see them in on my street again...

Obviously they read your sign..so confront them..

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

The apartments where we live have a no soliciting rule.

It's not followed by any means or enforced.

"Solicitors will be eaten in this rough economy"
    that's a good sign to post.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Or call the cops on them for trespassing. A no solicitation sign is the same as no trespassing only targeted for solicitors. Call the general police number not 911.

jj

7. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

''No Soliciting''

I think solicitors that are persistent are really IRS agents in disguise looking for sources of revenue. Lots of them are not real busy right now with so many business bankrupt and individuals out of work so this is a keep busy work scheme.

Don't leave any freebie items laying around, like mints, candy, etc they will take that deduction off your tax return.:D

8. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

There have been several in my WA county neighborhood that "solicit" in the middle of the day. They start their speil with "I'm trying to be part of the solution not part of the problem".

I wonder what these guys are up to?:rollingeyes:

9. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

If you don't have a baby in your house try a sign over your doorbell saying "Baby sleeping, please knock quietly". If you hear quiet knocking, ignore it. I assume that your friends will ring anyway. If you hear the doorbell, go answer. If it is a friend, invite them in. If it is a salesman, you get to tell them to "get bent", "can't you read", or "go away, I have to take care of the baby you just woke up". Either way, it seems like a good way to get a laugh out of these annoying nitwits.

10. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

My friend has a sign that says something along these lines (hers is funnier):

It works very well.

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I am constantly getting solicitations from lawn care companies. I'm not home during the day so they just attache their pamphlet to the door handle (right by the no soliciting sign).

What really steams me is one company that I know has seen the no soliciting sign and that I called to complain about them leaving their pamphlets now has started taping them to my house by the garage door. It actually took some paint off when I pulled it off.

I called the Hillsboro police and they said there wasn't anything they could do about it. I'm tempted to find out where this guys business is and teach him the proper place to insert his pamphlet.

12. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

These companies do not knock or ring the door bell. They just tape their garbage to your house.

13. Cougfan2

Yep.

14. shakazulu12

I actually have bi-monthly arguments with the Oregonian for leaving the free sample newspapers in my driveway. All that happens is they get wet and mushed up by my cars going over them. Since I'm on a no soliciting kick, can I report them for littering or something too? It really gets on my nerves that my driveway looks like a landfill.

I guess I'm just a private person at home, I simply don't want anyone near my house that wasn't invited, period, and annoying me in my private space to sell whatever the **** it is they are selling is getting on my last nerve.

15. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

I found a fun way to deal with solicitors. On my property, there is a "No Trespassing" sign at the end of my sidewalk, there is also a "No Solicitors" sign on my front door. Under the solicitors sign, there is a smaller one that says "if you are a solicitor, and ring my doorbell OR knock on my door, you will get sprayed with water" I have two sprinklers, one on either side of my front door, aimed at the spot they would be standing......I just step into my garage and turn on the faucet: Instant soaked solicitor!

I have done this dozens of times over the years to these jackasses who think they have the right to ignore my signage and tresspass on my property. I have had more than one say they are going to report me to the police, etc. Nothing has ever happened. I can't help it if my sprinklers go off at the very same time that they are tresspassing. dang sprinkler timers! LOL

16. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

The one on my door seems to work really well:
    PLEASE, NO:

SOLICITORS
    POLL TAKERS
    RELIGIOUS GROUPS
    SALES PEOPLE
    SURVEY TAKERS

WE VALUE OUR PRIVACY
    PLEASE RESPECT IT.

I have one on the door at eye level, and another one directly above the doorbell.
    So far it has worked very well.

One of the best ways to discourage them that a friend told me to try...answer the door stark naked...not aroused, just naked. Act like nothing is wrong, then ask how you can help them..I have heard that they leave quickly. Of course, I haven't tried it, but I imagine it would work.

Geez, what the **** do you do if it doesn't though..sort of a frightening thought.

17. isher

isher Clallam County Member

Wow. Memory Lane, and solicitation.

This goes back to 1970, in the hills of Southern Oregon.

It was just about this time of year, a Sunday, and I had

Been up in the North pasture clearing the main irrigation ditch.

Along the way I found a pair of stillborn calves, and hoisted them

Into the back of the ancient Willy's pickup, and headed back to

The main house. Mind you, I was just a kid ranchhand.

For some reason that morning, every living soul was gone,

To town or somewhere. So I get out my skinning knife, take of my shirt,

And start skinning the calves.

This is in back of the main house.

I hear a vehicle coming up the driveway, and Captain and Thunder

- the ranch dogs - go roaring out around the corner,

So I know it is a stranger.

Captain was a fullsized Heinz 57 Airdale, and Thunder,

Commonly known as Blunder, because he was really not right bright,

Was a big ol' Alsatian.

So, I picked up and walked around the corner to see what was up.

What was up was a pea-green Ford Country Squire wagon

-remember that horrible Ford pea green? -

With Dad, Mom, Grandpa, Grandma, and the kids loaded in.

I shout the dogs down, and Dad rolls his window down.

At this point I belatedly realize that

I am not wearing a shirt,

I am blood up to both elbows, and

I am carrying a pretty goodsized skinning knife.

Well, they were religious, and I won't specify which flavor,

But Dad starts giving me the pitch,

Even though he is looking at me kind of spooky.

I listen for a while, then this mad and merry mood takes over,

And I point with the knife to the back of the house, and say,

"Well, dang, I was just doing the first Spring Sacrifice, and

I welcome you all to join in."

That did it.

Dead silence, and the whites of many eyes.

Dad jams her into reverse, Thunder/Blunder explodes,

And Captain starts running screaming circles around the wagon.

Now, one of Blunder's worst habits was that he would jump up

On the hoods of Strange Vehicles and try to eat his way though

The windshield, all fangs and gums and froth.

Which he proceeded to do, as the wagon reversed down

The 1/2 mile twisty driveway at an amazingly high rate of speed.

Captain, of course, riding shotgun and barking soprano.

Me, I was flat on my butt on the ground helpless with laughter.

True story from late March/early April 1970.

Unless you are a trained professional, do not try this at home.

isher

18. Cougfan2

Ha! Your story made me laugh. I had a similar experience.

When the wife and I were living in a suburb of Kansas City, we had a Jehovah's Witness church nearby that would frequently send folks out to "spread the word". Nice folks, but an unwanted intrusion.

I had been rabbit hunting one fine fall Saturday morning and had been successful and was in my garage with the door open when I heard footsteps coming up the driveway.

I had just finished gutting and skinning 2 rabbits and was getting ready to clean my shotgun when I heard "Good afternoon Sir.". I had the shotgun in my hands and blood on my hands and forearms and turned to address the person and his face turned white and he said "It seems like I've come at a bad time." and beat a hasty retreat off of my property. I laughed for quite some time! :laugh:

19. NoOne

NoOne Puget Sound Active Member

Isher,

Truly classic! I really enjoyed that, and liked your thinking on your feet.

Cougfan,

Sometimes words would just confuse people...nice job.

Great postings both.

20. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

A couple of large, very aggressive (unless properly introduced) dogs seems to have worked for me.

Haven't had a solicitor in many years and I welcome Census takers to knock on the house to check up about the 13 Pacific Islander transsexuals that may or may not live here. I very much doubt they will make it past the main gate.