JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Do you have any idea of the approx age of the rifle? What does 'The flash hider is NM being reamed out to .406.' mean? What exactly is a DAS stamp? And lastly, what is the last picture of? Sorry for the noobish questions...but I'm a noob. :)

Do you have any idea of the approx age of the rifle? What does 'The flash hider is NM being reamed out to .406.' mean? What exactly is a DAS stamp? And lastly, what is the last picture of? Sorry for the noobish questions...but I'm a noob. :)
No problem at all, I'll tell you what I know.

Not sure of the age of the rifle, the serial number is 1107xx

Reaming the flash hider is one of the operations done to a match rifle where the front end of the flash hider is reamed out or "opened up." I seem to remember hearing this is done so there is no possibly of the exiting bullet ever coming close to touching the flash hider or any moisture that might build on it. IIRC a certain reamer is used and opens it up to .406. The pic below is not that great, but between the flash hider in the middle and the one on the right, you can see how the very front end of the flash hider has been opened up a bit. Only about a $50 operation from an M14 smith.

from Ted Brown's page:

400_FS1.jpg

DAS is Defense Acceptance Stamp - the stamp in the wood.

The last pic is of the barrel (breach end) showing the "heavy" end of the barrel.

...another pic gleaned from the internet.

Top two barrels are "heavy" barrels, middle is "medium" weight and bottom two are USGI contour.
The "medium" weight barrel adds about 1lb to the weight of the gun but significant meat to the breach end; this one is very accurate.

barrels.jpg

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.