JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am glad you leave threads, leave prices and generally leave sold threads alone. However, maybe there could be a sold button the seller could hit after the item is sold that would change something about the thread that would visually make it possible to see the item is sold from scrolling the forum.

I am sure some members have done like I do. Find an item in the classified area, get excited while reading about it only to scroll all the way done to find out it has been sold. Maybe the entire post has a red box around it, maybe it's yellowed out or maybe another box same size as the WTS box that says SOLD? Just an idea.

Yea, your talking about the open/not open button in the thread tools.

Only very rude people leave thier threads open for the rest of us to waste our time opening pages that should have been closed months or years ago.

I'm pretty sure @Joe Link is working on upgrading that system.

It would be nice to have an expiration date for classified threads as well. It's irritating to see something pop up looking like a good deal only to find it a year or so old and the thread resurrect-er asking "is this still available" :rolleyes:

It would be nice to have an expiration date for classified threads as well. It's irritating to see something pop up looking like a good deal only to find it a year or so old and the thread resurrect-er asking "is this still available" :rolleyes:

Ya I never understood that mentality. If it is that good of a deal you would think a private conversation would be a better course so you don't bump the thread and give it the extra exposure.

Personally, and this is just my way of doing things, the first person by time stamp to say "Ill take it" either by posting in the thread or by private conversation gets first dibs to try and make an arrangement and go from there.

So if someone asks, "is this available still", then that's a question and not a statement that they will take it in my book.

I know Joe is working on this and it will supposedly be available when they upgrade the classified software later. I don't know when that will be, but yes, it is a huge pet peeve of mine that SO MANY PEOPLE do not mark their ads sold and close them!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Wastes everyone else's time and shows little to no respect for those of us on this forum. So damn frustrating.

I would like to see a max time of say 30 days, after which time you have an option to renew the ad - if you just disappear, your ad closes. Easy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JOE!!!!

Last Edited:
Yep, this is definitely something which will be part of the new system. I'm hesitant to change much until we get the new system in place due to the work involved. The new system should certainly address everything mentioned here :)

Problem with ME....I sold something, can't remember what it was at the moment, and forgot to close the add!!! OMG! I realized it about five or so days later and closed it. Dodged a "Bullet" on THAT one I guess as you can receive warning/demerit points for that you know? :s0037:

Problem with ME....I sold something, can't remember what it was at the moment, and forgot to close the add!!! OMG! I realized it about five or so days later and closed it. Dodged a "Bullet" on THAT one I guess as you can receive warning/demerit points for that you know? :s0037:

I'd be surprised if anyone ever got a warning for not closing an ad - I don't think they go that far.

The ones that bother me aren't the folks that occasionally forget to close their ad, but rather the serial offenders - those who never bother to update or close their ads. Or the folks that come here, drop in an ad, then don't come back, leaving it open and not responding to PM's about their item.

At least with a 30-day (or other time limit) auto-cancel, all ads would close if people weren't actively involved with them. That way if someone does forget, the software would do it for them. I'm pretty sure I've forgotten to close an ad or two myself before - I usually remember at some point :s0141:

I remember a few weeks ago someone posted on the "Questions/Feedback" section and was complaining of the "Bad Boy" points he'd received. A bit peeeved and rightfully so as it can be a little difficult because there is no "CLOSE" button. I believe Joe is working on that to make it more straight forward.

I remember a few weeks ago someone posted on the "Questions/Feedback" section and was complaining of the "Bad Boy" points he'd received. A bit peeeved and rightfully so as it can be a little difficult because there is no "CLOSE" button. I believe Joe is working on that to make it more straight forward.

He is. He had a preview of the updated classified software available for testing last year - it does look pretty nice. Several nice upgrades over the current classified layout.

Always nice when this is done too:

=================
Sold

My item, this is the description
This is the price
Nudes go here...

Love that strikethrough text

;):eek:

Always nice when this is done too:

=================
Sold

My item, this is the description
This is the price
Nudes go here...

Love that strikethrough text

;):eek:

From a user perspective (the most important perspective here), I agree, but it does cause a big problem for us. Writing sold, deleted, etc. or removing classified content is actually the biggest problem we have with people finding the site through the search engines. Due to these keywords we get dinged for duplicate content, and Google also thinks we're a classified site like Armslist. When you google Northwest Firearms all of the classified sections come up first.

I was hoping to have the new classified system up months ago, but the developer is dragging his feet. I'm currently looking for some way to notify people that an ad is no longer active so people won't have to edit their ads with these terms :)

UPDATE: I had one of those 'aha' moments as I was typing the above post. Gave it a shot and figured it out. Hopefully this notice will help people identify ads which are no longer open, and encourage sellers to stop editing their ads once items have sold :)

Sale Ad:

upload_2016-6-11_12-42-26.png

Wanted Ad:

upload_2016-6-11_12-42-42.png

UPDATE: I had one of those 'aha' moments as I was typing the above post. Gave it a shot and figured it out. Hopefully this notice will help people identify ads which are no longer open, and encourage sellers to stop editing their ads once items have sold :)

Sale Ad:

View attachment 296899

Wanted Ad:

View attachment 296900

Honestly, between the 'Your Classifieds' button option and just closing your thread and adding SOLD to the OP should be more then enough for everyone to keep their threads tidy.

Before the 'Your Classifieds' button I had a hard time finding old classified threads of mine to close.

Love the "Your Classifieds" button. Now, in the interest of continuous improvement, is it possible to sort the list with open ads at the top and closed ads below them?? Alternately could the closed ads be grayed out as they are in the Classified Forums?? Or. miracle of miracles, both?? I just went through four pages of my ads to make sure the ones that were done were closed and to bump a couple of older ones that are still active. Moving the open ones to the top would sure be a help.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top