JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How about one of you smart electrical guys starting a sticky about how much different appliances take for loads and how much panels and batteries and converters/inverters would be needed?
Kind of a nice chart for us that can look at these thing and still have no clue as to what it says
Layman's terms

I am wondering what it would take to keep my freezers running off a battery pack charged by solar,wind ,whatever.

Not a generator.Maybe no fuel?
I am thinking of a diesel genset so I can use veggy oil.
But more interested in the battery/solar set ups

Thanks
Mike

No need to reinvent the wheel. First hand experience from RVers who 'boondock' is probably the best resource for finding out information about what works and what doesn't and how to keep the lights and appliances running. A good site I frequent is iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community. Here are two specific forums of theirs that discusses these topics. As you browse through the posts you'll find links to equipment comparisons, charts, etc.

Going Green - iRV2 Forums

Boondocking - iRV2 Forums

Keith

I'll take a look,but I am speaking of 120 v freezers and such for regular houses.
Thanks for the links

Haha,guns are banned on that site!

Guns are banned on irv2? There have been several lengthy topics on there about carrying guns while RVing, with most people being positive towards the subject. No moderator has shut us down. Unrelated to the website, I've been across the country with my family and no-where did any RV park I've stayed in ban guns as a requirement to stay there, even Fort Wilderness at Disney Florida. Its been my experience that if an inventory were taken, many RV parks would qualify as armed camps :) .

Yeah, irv2 forums are mostly for 12v systems, but the solar links should still be applicable for 120v...the size of the solar array to run the wattage you require are the same whether you run 120v or 12v appliances.

Edit: You might find some good 120v generator links there too. Nearly every RV has one.

Keith

Last Edited:
WOW I read something wrong.On the boondocking link,at the top there is the what would you do thread.I read someone acting like they couldn't talk about guns and the whole thread is about guns now.
:s0131:
Any links you smart guys have that are kind of written in layman's terms would be cool.I can figure most stuff out,but electrical loads aren't one of them

Most appliances will list their energy consumption in watts. For a 120 volt system, divide the number of watts by 120 to determine the current draw. Batteries are normally rated in amp hours. So take the current draw in amps and divide by the battery's amp hours to determine how long you'll be label to operate...however, if you are using an inverter, you'll have to adjust the amp hour rating to the new voltage (division):
A 1500 watt space heater draws: 1500 watts/120v=12.5 amps.
A 12v 100 amp hour battery has 12v/120v*100amps=10 amp hours at 120 volts
You can run that heater on that battery for 10amp hours/12.5 amps=0.8 hours or 48 minutes.

However, that's all theoretical because there will be some energy loss in the inverter and fully discharging your batteries reduces their useful life.

Amazon sells a 300 watt bicycle generator kit for $368 Amazon.com: Bicycle Generator Kit 300 Watts DC Pedal Power Generator With Dynamo, Belt, Plate, Stand: Sports & Outdoors

41qP6RGBjJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41qP6RGBjJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

thanks for this thread and the links.

I'm in a situation where our CRITICAL energy needs will be very low. We have well water with manual pump, woodstove, kerosene lighting etc.

But still....there are certain things that electricity would make so much better or easier, and I'd like to be able to provide that electricity on an as needed basis.

For instance, electric stove. While I COULD cook on top of the wood stove, or outside on an open fire....have solar panels hooked up to a battery bank that powers the oven would just be SOOOO much better. less energy expended by us, less obvious method of cooking etc.

Also, the ability to re-charge batteries for LED headlamps, flashlights and walkie talkies and other small devices...

Anyone have experience running portable generators off the home's nat gas. I've seen a you tube on this and it seems easy and very efficient.

This is easy peasy.
Most power companies will sell you the power panel,and hose to hook up a factory 'made for natgas' generator.
There is a site to buy conversion kits for your gas generator so it will run on propane. I did this for my fifth wheel cause I didn't especially like 5 gallons of gas under my bed.
Great idea as long as the gas lines aren't compromised and the flow stops.
The reason I will look for a diesel genset. (vegie oil). And no natural gas lines up here

<broken link removed>

I am all over this.We have just nasty winds across the Sequim valley. $500??? That's nothing to ensure my piggy stays frozen.
http://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/a-personal-wind-turbine-for-500-the-air-x.html

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top