JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I briefly searched and didn't see a complete thread on this, and with groups building, burning out, and dividing over and over again (And what our poor Texas brethren are going through), its a good time I think to talk about this.

What do you see as the most important "soft skills" for yourself and that you want to see in people that you want to work with (let in to your circle.)

I haven't thought about this a ton, because it's so dynamic, but I figured ya'll are exactly the people who I'd want to talk to about it. Esp since we have a diff attitude here, what with the clouds and all. ;)

Negotiation
Conflict Resolution
Problem Solving / Critical Thinking
Counseling
??

... I need to brainstorm more. It's a harder topic than I thought. Thoughts? What are yours that you'd like to see?

Interesting topic. I am looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

How big is the group that you are refering to?

I am guessing that in a SHTF scenario you most likely won't be in a big group. Biggest thing that comes to mind is critical thinking. If you can't think under pressure and work your way out of any situation then I am guessing your hosed. Second on my list would be shooting skills, you probably want to be able to hit what your shooting at or again your hosed.

De-escalation. If I can talk you down, I don't have to shoot you in a SHTF scenario. I have lots of hard skills, but de-escalation is one I use at work all the time.

resourcefulness: i.e., the ability to make do in a less than ideal situation
adaptability: because nothing stays the same for long
loyalty: because a cohesive team is stronger than a bunch of lone rangers

Great thread, thanks!

-All great ideas, except I'm thinking a bit more on conflict resolution...within the group, there should be zero conflict (there obviously may be minor crap, but anything leaning towards conflict in regards to the groups generalized mission statement-stay alive?). Hmm.

Folks will always have ideas in how things should be, the group needs to consist of folk whom think along similar lines, else there will be insurmountable conflict.

A good skill to have is where you apply what you know and learned to a new and different task or situation.
Just 'cause you've learned something for one set of conditions , does not mean that it won't work for the situation you are in now...
Andy

#1 - Leadership

I agree Joe. My thinking is if they have critical thinking then leadership kinda is a given. where as I have seen decent leaders that couldn't think critically to save there damn lives.

Thats the only reason I didn't mention leadership;)

In a group, leadership is, of course, critical. But you also need people that will follow that leadership, people that are not only able to carry out what needs to be done, but will do so willingly. I think many folks are capable of leadership when things get sticky, but some are better at it than others. Me, I like to be the #2 guy. I have been the go to guy in many situations, but truth be told, I much prefer to be the guy that leadership goes to get things done, letting someone else give some direction and coordination. I'm just more of a hands-on person rather than a delegator. In a leadership role I tend to want to do the work myself, and as a leader, you have to be able to hand that off to others. That said, if I don't see someone step up when needed, I have no trouble filling that role until someone better qualified comes along.

Last Edited:
I think you need to formulate specific common goals. You need to be able to see that goal and explain how that goal is going to be to your groups advantage - only by working together will some of your group possibly survive. No not everyone is going to win this and cost of losing or making mistakes will be measured in deaths.

I agree that leadership is high, but when you get a group of 10 alpha males who all think their way is the right way, leadership wont help much.

I think i would rank wisdom higher. know when to follow, when to advise, when to leave and go on your own.

will this do?
9e42hY.jpg

#1 - Leadership

To have effective leadership there has to be effective followers. IE- "too many chiefs, not enough Indians". (hopefully I that didn't trigger anyone). Depending to what level the SHTF, you may find that not many people will want to follow, especially as things get worse. Then you are back to square one.

1) Firefigher Paramedic. 2) Registered Nurse specializing in emergency and trauma medicine. 3) Fairly good M16, AR15 and USGI M1 & M2 Carbine armorer. (hundreds of ARs build, uncounted M16 rebuilds, dozens of Carbines tuned; who cares) 4) Organic scratch gardening and farming. 5) Fairly good old car auto mechanic ... non computers. 6) Old age. 7) Biased unfounded perfect opinions. 8) Old Age. 9) Sleeping skills :)

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top