JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The title of the thread pretty much says it all.

On a hike last weekend I wore an OWB holster for my 4.25" 1911. It's a fabric holster made of padded nylon and straps. This one, actually. It was a cheap purchase that I made because I had nothing else; was new to shootin' and didn't want to spend too much while still steeped in ignorance; knew that "something is better than nothing"; and also knew that eventually I would find a better option.

Well, it's time to find a better option because that soft padding protects the gun very well, but if it gets compressed too much it will activate the mag release button so that when I do pull the gun out the mag is floating loose. That's not a good situation if I have to yank it.

Gonna go looking for a nice leather holster, maybe even a custom job with some artwork that I can pass on to my nephew when I croak.

For hiking I would recommend kydex or injection molded thermoplastic as its impervious to sweat or water. Or get a better nylon rig like a Bianchi security holster or even the m84 flap holster. They will fit a 1911.

For EDC leather isnt bad - and good leather can be very good. I personally avoid leather for outdoor adventure anymore though.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top