JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The title of the thread pretty much says it all.

On a hike last weekend I wore an OWB holster for my 4.25" 1911. It's a fabric holster made of padded nylon and straps. This one, actually. It was a cheap purchase that I made because I had nothing else; was new to shootin' and didn't want to spend too much while still steeped in ignorance; knew that "something is better than nothing"; and also knew that eventually I would find a better option.

Well, it's time to find a better option because that soft padding protects the gun very well, but if it gets compressed too much it will activate the mag release button so that when I do pull the gun out the mag is floating loose. That's not a good situation if I have to yank it.

Gonna go looking for a nice leather holster, maybe even a custom job with some artwork that I can pass on to my nephew when I croak.

For hiking I would recommend kydex or injection molded thermoplastic as its impervious to sweat or water. Or get a better nylon rig like a Bianchi security holster or even the m84 flap holster. They will fit a 1911.

For EDC leather isnt bad - and good leather can be very good. I personally avoid leather for outdoor adventure anymore though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top