JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I met a guy the other day who expressed interest in action shooting. I gave him my email. When he got back to me, here's what I sent him:

Here's the web site for the governing organization for most action shooting in the US: Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association

Here's the link to the local organization: Columbia Cascade Section - USPSA There is a list of all action shooting matches in Northern Oregon on this site.

Here's the link to the biggest local gun club: http://www.tcgc.org/

The other good local gun club: CVSC – The best range in Dundee

If you live on the East side, you may want to try Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. I'm not a fan of their matches. The facility is good for shooting but not for having good matches. They don't have the facilities to handle lots of people.

Here's a link to one of the better local shooter's Youtube channel: OrigamiAK

He has lots of drill and match video.

These guys have some great introduction videos. Their first 10 to 15 videos is where I learned to do this stuff. PowerFactor Show

They also talk a lot about IDPA. It's the other major practical shooting discipline. Tri-County Gun Club holds regular IDPA matches. Personally, I prefer USPSA. It's a Coke or Pepsi kind of thing. Many people shoot both.

Something that's done under the USPSA umbrella organization is steel challenge, also called speed steel. TCGC has a speed steel match. This is the easiest match to get into as it has few equipment limitations and is least complex in what you need to do to shoot. If you have safe handgun, you can probably shoot this match. Here's a link to their organizers: ORSS.org | Oregon Speed Steel

The best internet forum for action shooting is here: Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! I am Smitty79 on this forum.

The best regional forum is https://www.northwestfirearms.com/.

Thanks for posting! I'm actually looking to get started.

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club has an introduction on January 7th I'm looking to hit up. Not sure who to pre-register with though as the USPSA director position says to be filled. After I warm up with that and get an idea of what's going on, I hope to try some 3-gun!

I think I have enough of the right equipment as well in decent enough configurations to have fun in the practical division and not feel too held back!

Thanks for sharing!

I do have a question though... I see a lot of multi-gun events mentioning bird shot AND slugs? How is that all managed with chokes and what not? I've always heard that shooting a slug through a say a modified or full choke is a great way to ruin it along with potentially damage the shotgun?

Thanks for posting! I'm actually looking to get started.

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club has an introduction on January 7th I'm looking to hit up. Not sure who to pre-register with though as the USPSA director position says to be filled.

If you go to the bottom of the home page on Team Croc site I posted, you can schedule an orientation with them. They all use the Cascade section manual. Take the quiz, schedule a live fie safety drill and youre good to go. There's a match at Dundee next Saturday if you want to check it out.

Wolverton mt. gun club is starting to have speed steel matches,and has practical matches,and bowling pins.
WMGC is open to the public on match days, and the matches are usually smaller groups than say Tri county,but still a lot of fun.

Located about 25 minutes east of Woodland,wa.
here is the november calendar.
..by clicking on the event it will usually give you the contact person,to make sure the event is still on in case of weather, etc.

Online Calendar: Wolverton Mountain Gun Club Calendar - 2016 Under Construction [Month view: 1/16]

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads