JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can recommend Diamond A guides in Burns for a great shoot! The alfalfa is just now cut ... rats are thick. Plowed thru a bunch of ammo today. Talk with Nikki 541 589 0755. The season will only last thru July 10th or so. Buy some ammo ...tell Nikki Craig sent you.

20200619_165638.jpg

Last Edited:
I can recommend Diamond A guides in Burns for a great shoot! The alfalfa is just now cut ... rats are thick. Plowed thru a bunch of ammo today. Talk with Nikki 541 589 0755. The season will only last thru July 10th or so. Buy some ammo ...tell Nikki Craig sent you.

View attachment 712498
A hell of a picture! Very cool! Central Oregon is full of those sage rats, however, I always called them prairie dogs or ground hogs. I used to shoot them in So Central Oregon in K. Falls. Grew up on a ranch with 800+ acres, so, lots of varmint opportunities. Would love to go back and do it again.

Nothing special...high vel 22 rimfire hp's are fine. I think 17 HMR is the best cartridge for sage rats. Of course we also use several center fire rifles for long range fun and challenge.

Thanks again Flashpan, just booked a hunt and we're staying in a Tee Pee for 2 nights.

So how many boolits should we take? All of them?

Just got home from hunting with Diamond A Guide Service last night. Like others, we have been looking for a place to shoot rats. Tried Christmas Valley for two years now. Not enough rats to make a decent meal. I read Flashpan's thread here, and arrived in Hines, Oregon Tuesday. Wednesday morning, 6:20 AM, followed Nikki into the killing fields. We have our own shooting platform, so we were on our own for two days. This is the tail end of rat shooting, so we didn't get many, BUT it was a blast (pun intended). Nikki felt bad for our comparative low success rate, and gave us a monetary break. When did you ever have someone offer you a monetary concession? These people (Nikki and Justin) are salt-of-the-earth people. And they're WORKERS and go-getters. By their work ethncs and fairness, you'd think they're Boomers, like us. Ha! Flashpan gave us their phone number. If you wanna kill rats next year, that's the number to call.

So my varmint hunting buddy talks me into one last trip to shoot sage rats in Burns. Got home late last night after a 2 day outing.
It was cool and rainy last week so heard the rats should still be above ground...not hibernating just yet. The rifles on this trip were:
22LR Ruger 77/22 custom barrel
17HMR Savage B17 suppressed
204 Ruger Howa min-mauser suppressed
17 Fireball Custom 700
221 Fireball Custom 700
222 Rem Custom 700
Rolled into a field 11AM to perfect weather 75 degrees, 5-10 wind with few 15 mph gusts, blue sky.
Despite the late time in the season we were not disappointed ... it was a great last shoot. Sunday for 6 hrs and yesterday from 8:30 to 3 the two of us shoot an estimated 1400 rnds, roughly 800 rimfire, the balance centerfire. These rifles/scopes and handloads have been fine tuned from a season of shooting so with swivel benches, solid rests and little wind , our % hit/miss was high. No doubt we killed around 1200 rats. The long shot of the trip was 332 yards with the 204R, the short shot was 9 feet with the 22. Yesterday morning from 8:30 to 9:30 was insane...we averaged one rat/10 seconds for a solid hour with rimfires...it became so monotonous we began just taking head shots.
The eagles, ravens, seagulls, buzzards, crane and a weasel all seemed happy with the results. Farmers happy too....even though we tried our level best to kill them all, we did leave a few.
Our Compliments and Recommendations again to Diamond A Guides in Burns. The big comfortable tents and mineral springs hot tubs are excellent. Hope to see you in the rats fields next season.

20200705_173908.jpg

Last Edited:
Uh - "Farmers happy too . . . even though we tried our level best to kill them all" You really didn't mean that? We left most of the farmers live when we hunted there. Otherwise, they'e a little reluctant to let you hunt again. Ha! GREAT report. Thanks for the info.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top